The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

Just now, smithers joe said:

did we trade woo off? 

And Rathbone?

Forgot about those two guys Joe.  Those are both heavier guys, who can skate and move the puck with feet or pass.  Hi IQ guys for sure, and players that will play for us.  

3 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Joulevi Ristolainen

Hughes Tryamkin

Hutton Stecher

is the perfect balance of size and offense.  Few things need to align for it but it would work for ten years.

I agree, Ristolainen should be our target. Don't see Hutton here long term though so let's try:

(A few years from now)

Hughes, Ristolainen

Juolevi, Woo

Tryamkin, Stecher

Now how do we get BUF to bite though.... I'm thinking we'd have to overpay on value, particularly as we'd need to package (AKA quantity vs quality). I think it starts with Marky personally.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

did we trade woo off? 

He could be part of it too.  My point was mainly around the top 4, and the bottom 2 are flexible and may even be needed for acquision.  If players are better than the ones shown you continue to promote and replace.

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

Really? A meat and potatoes team in St Louis just won the cup. Not to mention heavy duty teams like the LA Kings not long ago. The narrative for winning cups changes from year to year however fact still remains that come playoffs size still and always will matter. 

With skill players like Tarasenko, Schwartz, Perron, Thomas, Barbashev etc., mixed in. They’re not pure size. 

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

No, no it doesn't. If speed and skill goes into the corner to get a puck, and size comes in and hits speed and skill, someone's going down. And it ain't gonna be size.

Basic physics.  That's why we need some heavier bodied D to do the heavy lifting.  Tryamking, Woo, and ?

• Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

I agree, Ristolainen should be our target. Don't see Hutton here long term though so let's try:

(A few years from now)

Hughes, Ristolainen

Juolevi, Woo

Tryamkin, Stecher

Now how do we get BUF to bite though.... I'm thinking we'd have to overpay on value, particularly as we'd need to package (AKA quantity vs quality). I think it starts with Marky personally.

Yeah it might then we could run with Demko and experienced backup.  I would be winning to overpay for Ristolainen.  Him and Joulevi on paper are a perfect complimentary duo.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, coryberg said:

That's strange... I didnt know that every other team was looking for a new coach. Thanks for the inside info. 

There are also plenty of stingy owners that wouldn't pony up that dough for a coach. He probably had his choice of 3 teams at the time. 

Edmonton and LA had vacancies.  Fletcher and Vigneault seem to be on the same wave length - the team with a few moves should be ready to compete now. 

1 minute ago, Pears said:

With skill players like Tarasenko, Schwartz, Perron, Thomas, Barbashev etc., mixed in. They’re not pure size. 

Other than Thomas, those guys all play heavy games.  They play in straight lines, take hits, and are hard to play against.  Thomas is young though, so as he matures physically, he will be able to play a heavier game too.  

Bo plays a heavy game, and look how good he is!  (Bo is an ox though:)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

No, no it doesn't. If speed and skill goes into the corner to get a puck, and size comes in and hits speed and skill, someone's going down. And it ain't gonna be size.

The Sedins always went into the corners and more often than not, came away with the puck because of their quickness and knowing where the other would be all the time. 

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

(A few years from now)

Hughes, Ristolainen

Juolevi, Woo

Tryamkin, Stecher

I think Rathbone might be on our team sooner rather than later.  He plays a lot like Krug.  Not the tallest guy, but has high skill, IQ, and compete.  

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

Tarasenko is 225lbs. Basically, all of St Louis top 6 'skill' players aside from Schwartz are 6' + and average well over 200lbs. Your argument is not valid here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The cap space would allow them to make a big move in FA, Couturier, Patrick, Gaudette would look good up the middle.

They feel Patrick is not yet good enough to be their C2.  Gaudette was less productive while being extremely sheltered by Green.  Fletcher wants impact players in return.  They have cap space and Gostisbehere is only 4.5M.

Philly needs centres and obviously, Horvat isn't going to Philly unless a lot more than Gostibehere is coming back. I think Philly would want Gaudette but who knows maybe if Hayes doesn't sign they will be up for Sutter + Tanev 

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

And sometimes got pasted into the boards and coughed up the puck. And against Boston with Chara, McQuaid, Boychuk bearing down on them, the Sedins cycled the puck on the perimeter for the majority of that series.

The game is changing.  At some point, to score, the puck has to get to the net, with net front presence.  Heavier, stronger guys can cycle, when they get a mismatch in weight drive to the net front.  It's nearly impossible to stop if the guy covering it too light, or isn't quick enough to get proper position.  

5 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Yeah it might then we could run with Demko and experienced backup.  I would be winning to overpay for Ristolainen.  Him and Joulevi on paper are a perfect complimentary duo.

Yeah he could work well as an 'all around' pair with Juolevi or as an 'all offense' pair with Hughes. Loads of flexibility there.

So what are we willing to overpay to get him Marky + what. There other needs would be LD and a top 6 F, we haven't got a lot to give up there... Not sure Hutton or Baer or Goldy particularly move the needle. Virtanen maybe but he doesn't really qualify as top 6...