The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

1 minute ago, mll said:

They feel Patrick is not yet good enough to be their C2.  Gaudette was less productive while being extremely sheltered by Green.  Fletcher wants impact players in return.  They have cap space and Gostisbehere is only 4.5M.

If they are asking for a legit 2nd line center then they can pound sand, they arent getting Horvat. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, peaches5 said:

Philly needs centres and obviously, Horvat isn't going to Philly unless a lot more than Gostibehere is coming back. I think Philly would want Gaudette but who knows maybe if Hayes doesn't sign they will be up for Sutter + Tanev 

They are willing to move Nolan Patrick for an upgrade.  That's not Gaudette.  They are looking for a proven C2 - that's not Sutter.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Rathbone might be on our team sooner rather than later.  He plays a lot like Krug.  Not the tallest guy, but has high skill, IQ, and compete.  

I think Woo and Rathbone are knocking on the door as early as this training camp.  As they earn it, they find their way in.  That situation will maintain our D once we have the core.  Likely some D emerge from our next could drafts as well.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

fans want JB to make moves to improve this team. but they don’t want him to move the core or give up draft picks. he can only move guys not deemed needed and he has to win every trade. the benning haters will be out to crucify him, no matter what he does. they will say, we could have made better trades without giving up players and picks we want to keep. cdc is so wonderful.

I think we are at the stage where we can move any pick outside of this years first and that includes all picks from next year as well.  Only for core augmentation and not rentals though.  It will complete our depth concerns because we acquire known quantities.

11th + Ghost + Patrick for Horvat is the offer I could see getting it done. Don't know if either team would be willing to get rid of that much though. Would have to think really hard about it, but I think I'd lean towards no.

Edited by Dombrova22

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If they are asking for a legit 2nd line center then they can pound sand, they arent getting Horvat. 

Canucks don't have the pieces available that Philadelphia is looking for.

They want proven impact players.  They have put their 11th pick in play but Fletcher says no team has made a real push for it.  They want a real good player in return - not  a rental and not quantity.  ROR just showed how teams typically lose when they trade the better player for quantity.  The package Buffalo received is nowhere close to having the impact ROR had.

2 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Tell that to Tampa, Pittsburg and Toronto. 

One of the biggest teams in the league won this year, and something like the last 4 years as well.  

I wonder, if to win the Cup, that going through the playoffs makes it harder for the smaller guys to last to the end without getting so battered around they can't perform to the level needed to contribute?  Some teams have their top offensive guys on PK and in shut down roles, and they take a beating.  

1 minute ago, mll said:

Canucks don't have the pieces available that Philadelphia is looking for.

They want proven impact players.  They have put their 11th pick in play but Fletcher says no team has made a real push for it.  They want a real good player in return - not  a rental and not quantity.  ROR just showed how teams typically lose when they trade the better player for quantity.  The package Buffalo received is nowhere close to having the impact ROR had.

While Berglund is by no means the calibre of player ROR is, I think the unexpected derailment of his career made trade worse for Buffalo.  Berglund was generally been a decent middle 6 center and player over his career, but he unfortunately couldn't make a go of it in Buffalo.  It's too bad.  Having Berglund might have helped shore up the middle 6 for Buffalo and also reduced center ice responsibilities for Mittelstadt.

I agree that I can't see the Canucks being deep in the running for Gostisbehere but who knows.

3 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Horvat for me is close to untouchable but everybody has a price.  This likely works out better in the end for us but I still can’t do it.

Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, and Demko are the untouchables for me. Benning shouldn’t even bother with offers for them. 

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah he could work well as an 'all around' pair with Juolevi or as an 'all offense' pair with Hughes. Loads of flexibility there.

So what are we willing to overpay to get him Marky + what. There other needs would be LD and a top 6 F, we haven't got a lot to give up there... Not sure Hutton or Baer or Goldy particularly move the needle. Virtanen maybe but he doesn't really qualify as top 6...

Yeah don’t really know to be honest but there may also be options like taking on Okposo’s contract but not sure if it’s treated as negative value.  High picks can augment too.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I heard that interview too.  It sure sounded like Loui has played his last game for us.  I don't think it's possible for us to trade Loui without hurting us.  He will get put on waivers, and assigned to Utica.  He will not go to Utica.  At that point, I don't know what happens?

Plays in Europe.  He is done in the NHL.

• Upvote 3