The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks inquired about Sabres defenceman

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

looking at the depth chart, yeah it drops off like a cliff after Skinner, Eichel and Sammy. But all we can offer really is something like Tanev + Virtanen and while that would certainly improve Buffalo it aint gonna happen for Risto. But I'm not convinced anyone else is going to offer more.

We'll likely find out sooner or later.

On 6/24/2019 at 8:29 PM, SabreFan1 said:

People just aren't getting it through their heads that the market demand for a player determines his worth.  Risto is on a cheap contract for another few seasons and with the cap being 1.5 million lower than previously expected, his demand/worth just went up even higher. 

Add that to the fact that Botterill can't afford to screw up another trade so the last thing he'll be trading for is other team's extra parts and project players.  He did that with ROR and we all know how that turned out.

One of two things is going to happen with Risto.  The Sabres will sit on him at least until the TDL or they will accept a can't refuse over-payment for him. 

Risto has 3 seasons left on his contract so when it comes down to it, the Sabres don't have an absolute need to trade him so if a team wants him they'll have to make a high offer.

1. first, You are arguing that the market demand for a player determines his worth. That's not an argument that Ristolainen has high value right now compared to other right handed defensemen, because lots of quality RHD are out there at the moment:

- Tyler Myers

- Colin Miller

- Dougie Hamilton

- Travis Harmonic

2. second, you are maintaining that Ristolainen's value derives mainly from this cheap contract he is on. Agree that this aspect is an important parameter which determines his current fair market value. Much more important than his cheap contract is his quality / performance on the ice. When it comes to the performance on the ice Ristolainen is overrated. Here is Cam Robinson's perception on Ristolainen:

another quote from Robinson on Ristolainen:

Ehh. Defending takes hard work and smarts. Some guys have it, some don't. He hasn't shown me a ton to predict a shift is coming.

3. There are better right handed D-Men out there currently, like Harmonic, Hamilton. Sabres should be happy with a top six winger like Baertschi who has proven that he is one of the most offensively gifted wingers on the Canucks team and a top 4 D-Man like Tanev, especially when the nucks retain some salary.

The future will let us know what return the Sabres will get for him.

These sorts of options are why I think we  should have waited on a deal like the Miller one.

Ristolainen is a better D than Miller is a forward and serves a greater need.  There are a lot fewer D options in free agency than forwards.

I don’t think a 1st is what Buffalo would really be after, but if they have an extra 1st they could swap it for a scoring forward.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Eichel

Skinner

Reinhart

Okposo

Mittelstadt

What's the problem out there?

Okposo:  After he got his big UFA contract, his play suffered badly.  After his near life-ending concussion episode, his play went from bad to worse.

Mittelstadt:  He went from high school to the NHL in a span of 1 calendar year and predictably didn't live up to his billing the first year.  I'll be surprised if he does much better this year.  He's still pretty raw.

The other 3 are the top line.  You need more than 1 line to win.

5 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

1. first, You are arguing that the market demand for a player determines his worth. That's not an argument that Ristolainen has high value right now compared to other right handed defensemen, because lots of quality RHD are out there at the moment:

- Tyler Myers

- Colin Miller

- Dougie Hamilton

- Travis Harmonic

2. second, you are maintaining that Ristolainen's value derives mainly from this cheap contract he is on. Agree that this aspect is an important parameter which determines his current fair market value. Much more important than his cheap contract is his quality / performance on the ice. When it comes to the performance on the ice Ristolainen is overrated. Here is Cam Robinson's perception on Ristolainen:

another quote from Robinson on Ristolainen:

Ehh. Defending takes hard work and smarts. Some guys have it, some don't. He hasn't shown me a ton to predict a shift is coming.

3. There are better right handed D-Men out there currently, like Harmonic, Hamilton. Sabres should be happy with a top six winger like Baertschi who has proven that he is one of the most offensively gifted wingers on the Canucks team and a top 4 D-Man like Tanev, especially when the nucks retain some salary.

The future will let us know what return the Sabres will get for him.

Brother, you're preaching to the choir.  I've been saying Risto is over-rated for years on CDC.

However half of the NHL disagrees with me.

I want the Sabres to trade him while there are multiple teams clamoring for him.  When that happens, demand sets the price rather than desperation like with ROR and Kane.

25 minutes ago, Provost said:

These sorts of options are why I think we  should have waited on a deal like the Miller one.

Ristolainen is a better D than Miller is a forward and serves a greater need.  There are a lot fewer D options in free agency than forwards.

I don’t think a 1st is what Buffalo would really be after, but if they have an extra 1st they could swap it for a scoring forward.

I've been a pretty big proponent of trading for Risto but that bolded statement is simply not true.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I've been a pretty big proponent of trading for Risto but that bolded statement is simply not true.

I think the argument could be made that a top 4 D serves a greater need to the Canucks right now that a top 6 winger would, but only marginally. I agree that Miller and Risto are likely a wash in terms of talent/value they bring to their positions. 

1 minute ago, Maketherightmove said:

I think the argument could be made that a top 4 D serves a greater need to the Canucks right now that a top 6 winger would, but only marginally. I agree that Miller and Risto are likely a wash in terms of talent/value they bring to their positions. 

Now, after adding Miller, absolutely.

A physical, hard, two way beast of a skilled top 6 player was just as big of a need as a #3D IMO.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

A physical, hard, two way beast of a skilled top 6 player was just as big of a need as a #3D IMO.

The team had a passable (albeit weak) top 6 before Miller of: 

Baer EP Brock

Pearson Bo xx-plug

The D is a sh*tshow. 

Edited by Maketherightmove
  • Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

It's easy to say, with the gift of hindsight, that a top 4 right handed D is a greater need, but would that have been the case if we had gone into the season with the oft injured Baer as our top LW? Fact is Miller was exactly the type of player we needed. We can argue about the price all we want, but he not only fills a need, but fills it perfectly. I'd argue more than Risto does, considering that Miller is a swiss army knife of a player.

That said, as much as I've crapped on Risto in this thread, I'd certainly rather make a deal for him than sign Meyers for a 7 x 7 contract.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Maketherightmove said:

Baer EP Brock

Pearson Bo xx-plug

The D is a sh*tshow. 

Sure, and if Risto was a bonafied top pair D, I'd agree. He's not though. At best he could play on one as the sub par fill in for lack of better options just as Tanev as been (albeit completely different players). IMO, he'd be a far better fit on 2nd an offensive pair with Hughes.

We had just as much need for some muscle/puck retrieval, two way goodness on Petey's LW as we do a 2nd pair D IMO (dogs breakfast or not).

I don't think people really appreciate what Miller is going to do for our top 6 yet. Another side benefit of the Miller trade is that with him on that line and available for draws (as well as EP's natural progression as an older, stronger player), that line is likely to need far less sheltering that the 70% ozone starts they saw last year. Which also lessons the need for BOTH Sutter AND Beagle. Miller's a complimentary player but by golly does he FIT well.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Baer EP Brock

Pearson Bo xx-plug

The D is a sh*tshow. 

Every time you fill a need/hole on a team it raises the level of all the surrounding players.  We still have time to fill the d spot and will benefit greatly from a full year of Hughes.  As our offense improves and we have more control time in the opponents end of the rink this will make our d appear more durable as we should see less of the freak injuries incurred blocking shots/defending.  Possession players like miller help move this forward.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I know the history of the Sabres.  How would panic selling a top pairing d-man help Botterill and/or the organization?

You've now made 2 stupid posts in a row.  Wanna try for 3?

Ok stupid.  

.. I did say “ At some point, not having that plan will turn into panic.. perhaps tha time is at christmas

You don’t think there is any pressure on Botterill to actually make the playoffs after coming in and basically firing Housley and then signing Skinner?

Trading away good guys to gamble on  Draft Picks seems to be a common theme.. anybody can do that, Sporto.

Is Buffalos rebuild beginning, or never ending?

Sounds like your favourite show Is the annual  Draf5 Lottrery,  how about these beauties :  

Ryan O'Reilly was traded to the St. Louis Blues by the Buffalo Sabres on Sunday for three forwards and two draft picks.

Buffalo receives forwards Patrik BerglundVladimir Sobotka and Tage Thompson, a first-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, and a second-round pick in the 2021 NHL Draft.

The Buffalo Sabres traded forward Evander Kane to the San Jose Sharks Monday. Going back the other way is a conditional first-round pick, a conditional fourth-round pick and a prospect. 

Going back the other way is a conditional 2019 first-round pick, a conditional fourth-round pick in 2020 plus prospect Daniel O’Regan.

Hope you get a 1st for Ristolianen,.   I wish you luck.

Edited by SilentSam

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Brother, you're preaching to the choir.  I've been saying Risto is over-rated for years on CDC.

However half of the NHL disagrees with me.

I want the Sabres to trade him while there are multiple teams clamoring for him.  When that happens, demand sets the price rather than desperation like with ROR and Kane.

Desperation .      That’s no where near panic.. right?   

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Ok stupid.  

.. I did say “ At some point, not having that plan will turn into panic.. perhaps tha time is at christmas

You don’t think there is any pressure on Botterill to actually make the playoffs after coming in and basically firing Housley and then signing Skinner?

Trading away good guys to gamble on  Draft Picks seems to be a common theme.. anybody can do that, Sporto.

Is Buffalos rebuild beginning, or never ending?

Sounds like your favourite show Is the annual  Draf5 Lottrery,  how about these beauties :  

Ryan O'Reilly was traded to the St. Louis Blues by the Buffalo Sabres on Sunday for three forwards and two draft picks.

Buffalo receives forwards Patrik BerglundVladimir Sobotka and Tage Thompson, a first-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, and a second-round pick in the 2021 NHL Draft.

The Buffalo Sabres traded forward Evander Kane to the San Jose Sharks Monday. Going back the other way is a conditional first-round pick, a conditional fourth-round pick and a prospect. 

Going back the other way is a conditional 2019 first-round pick, a conditional fourth-round pick in 2020 plus prospect Daniel O’Regan.

Hope you get a 1st for Ristolianen,.   I wish you luck.

Yep.  You made stupid post number 3!!!!!!

I've been bagging on the Sabres organizational incompetence here on CDC for years.

AGAIN, why are you telling me their history?!? 

I'm already aware of it.

p.s.  I don't want draft picks for Risto, even a first rounder.  I'd rather have good NHL middle-6 players that can make an immediate impact.

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Desperation .      That’s no where near panic.. right?   

Stupid post number 4!!!

Desperation is a noun.  Panic is a verb. 

Your elementary school learning should have clued you into which one of those is an action.   Desperation =/= Panic.  Even the previous clown in the Sabres' GM office never let himself panic.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Stupid post number 4!!!

Your elementary school learning should have clued you into which one of those is an action.   Desperation =/= Panic.  Even the previous clown in the Sabres' GM office never let himself panic.

Now your turning your situation into a joke.

17 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Yep.  You made stupid post number 3!!!!!!

I've been bagging on the Sabres organizational incompetence here on CDC for years.

AGAIN, why are you telling me their history?!? 

I'm already aware of it.

p.s.  I don't want draft picks for Risto, even a first rounder.  I'd rather have good NHL middle-6 players that can make an immediate impact.

I will leave you with your own desperation then.

14 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Stupid post number 4!!!

uhhh ... maybe in buffalo they can't afford dictionaries?

Screenshot_20190626-144321_Chrome.jpg