The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks inquired about Sabres defenceman

22 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Soooo what would you classify as a reasonable offer?

The highest bid among all of the teams that are interested.  If NHL insiders are to be believed, after Trouba was traded, all eyes turned to Ristolainen.  The market and to a certain extent, Botterill's judgment will set the price.

In my opinion, the Canucks would have to give up too much in order to win a multi-team bidding war.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Ristolainen as a defenceman outscores Baertschi every year, is younger, is huge and plays physical.  Good luck with that proposal

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Ristolainen as a defenceman outscores Baertschi every year, is younger, is huge and plays physical.  Good luck with that proposal

True.  But have you looked at his +/-?  Worst in the league. I know that stat is not a be all end all, but Risto has been largely put in an offensive role and shots against with him on the ice was brutal according to two assessments I just read online.

So yeah - the guy can score, and yeah, he is a good size, but to me we cannot accept more scoring only to sacrifice defensive responsibility. This rings even more true if we end up losing Tanev - who has historically made a huge difference towards supressing shots against.

Edited by kloubek
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, kloubek said:

but Risto has been largely put in an offensive role 

That's not particularly accurate. He plays a similar big/hard minute match up role to Edler with less defensive ability granted, but also less defensive forward support.

Like Edler, that does include some pp time but I don't think we want to confuse anyone in to thinking he was in a sheltered offensive role.

59 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That's not particularly accurate. He plays a similar big/hard minute match up role to Edler with less defensive ability granted, but also less defensive forward support.

Like Edler, that does include some pp time but I don't think we want to confuse anyone in to thinking he was in a sheltered offensive role.

Not sheltered at all - and I didnt mean to imply such.  But he isn't tasked with being a shutdown guy either.  He is an offense first guy and in playing that style, it appears he gives up a ton of chances. Chances turn into goals.  And a goal against is just as bad as a goal for is good to me.

I know you are high on this guy agent - and a big guy would definitely be an asset - but for the cost I believe it would take I wonder how much overall benefit we would really see with him in the lineup.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Virtanen, Gaudette, and a 2nd.

More than fair for a guy that is still a work in progress defensively. 

Way too much for one player who’s a work in progress defensively - aka sucks. Pass

I wouldn’t even give that up for Provorov

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Way too much for one player who’s a work in progress defensively - aka sucks. Pass

Thank god JB is in charge then haha.    :frantic:

Edit: I mean...who would give up a current 3rd liner, a prospect, and a 2nd for a big first pairing D man.   :picard:

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Thank god JB is in charge then haha.    :frantic:

Edit: I mean...who would give up a current 3rd liner, a prospect, and a 2nd for a big first pairing D man.   :picard:

I mean watch him play and look at his advanced stats and see how he can’t play defense. 

I guess that wouldn’t make him a real first pairing dman. 

That plus minus sure looks like a great dman and first pair to me! 

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=139048

i guess if you don’t believe in a first pair  being able to play defense, don’t believe he should suppress shots, don’t believe he shouldn’t give up ridiculous amounts of shots in the “home plate” area of the ice - then.

he hits a lot, gets points and gives up way too many opportunities to offset his production, gives away at a 2-1 margin, and  is not a positive possession player. 

Drrrr

lol - nice attempt - didn’t work lil buddy! Keep at it! 

:picard:

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

This is exactly it.  He is put into all situation like Edler is which accounts for the +/- to a degree.  Bring him to a team with more depth and he can likely have more of a offensive role.  We need offence from the backend and we can’t rely on just Hughes and the Edler drop pass.

1 hour ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I mean watch him play and look at his advanced stats and see how he can’t play defense. 

i guess if you don’t believe in a first pair  being able to play defense, don’t believe he should suppress shots, don’t believe he shouldn’t give up ridiculous amounts of shots in the “home plate” area of the ice - then.

he hits a lot, gets points and gives up way too many opportunities to offset his production, gives away at a 2-1 margin, and  is not a positive possession player. 

Drrrr

Sure junior. lol   :frantic:

2 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

no worries

he sucks.

We're gonna get him for Baertschi, Goldobin and a 2nd.

• Haha 1

Drrrr

Thank god you don't work for the Canucks lol.

• Upvote 1

For some reason I feel risto would be the better play then Myers. The cost to acquire risto might be expensive tho.

If for some reason we got into cap issues with Myers under the cap tho. We would essentially be giving away more assets to remove the contract. 

I guess it depends how confident Jim is in his ability to manage the cap. Risto is younger tho. Just depends on ask I guess if risto is still on the market.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

I'd love risto at the right price cause I like his offense. However, I can't get a read on his defense and if he's truly that horrific or is it the Buffalo factor. 

He's 'ok' defensively. He certainly shouldn't be the main match up guy, which he has been in BUF and would not be here. They're also not a team that supports the puck very well, either forwards or defense, so view his 'poor' numbers in that context.

So partly that he's not built for the role and partly BUF factor.

Playing in a less demanding, offensive role here, I think he would flourish. But by all means I hope Benning is playing up his green jacket +/- to lower the price ::D

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, danaimo said:

I never thought the CDC community would have a higher IQ than another online community.  I guess I was wrong.

"There are only 2 things that are infinite.  The Universe and human stupidity. And we're not sure about the Universe"  - A. Einstein

My favourite Einstein quote.

• Cheers 1

Yes thank god I actually look at stats and player information before I make comments. Try it some time! 

What was drew doughty plus minus last year?.

Guess he’s not a top pairing D either. Looking at stats and understand the meaning of the are two different things. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's 'ok' defensively. He certainly shouldn't be the main match up guy, which he has been in BUF and would not be here. They're also not a team that supports the puck very well, either forwards or defense, so view his 'poor' numbers in that context.

So partly that he's not built for the role and partly BUF factor.

Playing in a less demanding, offensive role here, I think he would flourish. But by all means I hope Benning is playing up his green jacket +/- to lower the price ::D

And he’s only 24. It’s not like he’s peaked yet. He’s got a lot of room to grow still. 

• Cheers 2