The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks inquired about Sabres defenceman

2 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

@SabreFan1

I guess you as a Sabre Fan having some more info on the following info:

GM Botterill won’t comment on Ristolainen and if there was a trade request

Lance Lysowski: Sabres GM Jason Botterill wouldn’t say if defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen had requested a trade. Will keep any conversations with his players private.

I always view these types of statements (no comment) as confirmation, as you'd assume if it was not true that Botterill would just deny it. That's just me though. Right or wrong, I see this as meaning Risto wants out. 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

He is definitely a great prospect for where we picked him but I’m certain he will be a skilled undersized winger.  If he’s needed for a top 4 PMD with size that is young on a great contract, I’d go for it.

I think you're underestimating Madden.  We all know that he is a tremendous skater and has an offensive upside, but he also plays a 200ft player, has a relentless forecheck, competes hard and hates to lose.  He may not be 'tough as nails', but he's certainly not a 'soft' player in any way.  He is John 'mad dog' Madden's son and the apple has not fallen far from the tree.  He grew up around pro players and NHL arenas and his dad (who became a coach and still is one) taught him the defensive side of the game. Tyler knows what it takes to be a pro.

His dad ended up being 5'11 at 190lbs, so it isn't beyond Tyler to end up in that weight catagory once he has matured, which would not be considered 'undersized'.

Right now, Madden's value isn't in the top tier of prospects, so he would be packaged in a trade for the young dman you speak of.  I think it would be a mistake to trade this kid as a 'sweetener' in a trade, as he has so much more potential than  many other Canuck prospects.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I think you're underestimating Madden.  We all know that he is a tremendous skater and has an offensive upside, but he also plays a 200ft player, has a relentless forecheck, competes hard and hates to lose.  He may not be 'tough as nails', but he's certainly not a 'soft' player in any way.  He is John 'mad dog' Madden's son and the apple has not fallen far from the tree.  He grew up around pro players and NHL arenas and his dad (who became a coach and still is one) taught him the defensive side of the game. Tyler knows what it takes to be a pro.

His dad ended up being 5'11 at 190lbs, so it isn't beyond Tyler to end up in that weight catagory once he has matured, which would not be considered 'undersized'.

Right now, Madden's value isn't in the top tier of prospects, so he would be packaged in a trade for the young dman you speak of.  I think it would be a mistake to trade this kid as a 'sweetener' in a trade, as he has so much more potential than  many other Canuck prospects.

Everything you just said, we said the same thing about Cole Cassels a few years back.  He was suppose to be our McDavid killer.

not saying, Tyler will turn up the same, but it’s easy to get overly excited too fast with prospects.

6 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Everything you just said, we said the same thing about Cole Cassels a few years back.  He was suppose to be our McDavid killer.

not saying, Tyler will turn up the same, but it’s easy to get overly excited too fast with prospects.

Did you see Madden and Hughes playing in the U-20s? We only have limited viewings of them play so far so I'm referring to their performances as evidence of their greatness.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Madden might be a pretty good fit for them. 

Madden, Virtanen and Baer?

I'd rather not lose Virtanen AND Madden from our forward group. I was thinking perhaps Brisebois maybe.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Tyler is playing in an adult league while Cole was still in Jrs at the same age.  Madden has similar points to Gaudette in his rookie year and is playing on a much weaker team.

Yes, it is easy to become 'overly excited to fast', but I think a characteristics and talent evaluation can support a valuable prediction.  If he continues with the same pace (Gaud like), in the upcoming season, he is looking like an excellant prospect.

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Tyler is playing in an adult league while Cole was still in Jrs at the same age.  Madden has similar points to Gaudette in his rookie year and is playing on a much weaker team.

Yes, it is easy to become 'overly excited to fast', but I think a characteristics and talent evaluation can support a valuable prediction.  If he continues with the same pace (Gaud like), in the upcoming season, he is looking like an excellant prospect.

Madden's also a FAR better skater.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

By that logic, every NCAA prospect are better than CHL?

He might be playing in an adult league, but that league doesn’t have any McDavid type of prospect either.  I don’t think that’s a good comparaison.

anyway, I like where Madden is heading but if a legit top 3/4 D is available, giving that’s our weakness, I wouldn’t hesitate.

58 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

@SabreFan1

Lance Lysowski: Sabres GM Jason Botterill wouldn’t say if defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen had requested a trade. Will keep any conversations with his players private.

54 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

I always view these types of statements (no comment) as confirmation, as you'd assume if it was not true that Botterill would just deny it. That's just me though. Right or wrong, I see this as meaning Risto wants out. 

Ristolainen has to know that the writing is on the wall for him in Buffalo with the moves that have been made over the last 2 seasons to move on from him so it wouldn't surprise me if he wants out.  There's nothing here for him anymore.  Normally even the rumour of a trade request would hurt a player's trade value but in this case he has 3 more years left on a contract that the Sabres can hold him to.  If the Sabres don't like the offers made for him, he'll have to play out most or all of the season here and get moved closer to the TDL or after the season is over.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Ristolainen has to know that the writing is on the wall for him in Buffalo with the moves that have been made over the last 2 seasons to move on from him so it wouldn't surprise me if he wants out.  There's nothing here for him anymore.  Normally even the rumour of a trade request would hurt a player's trade value but in this case he has 3 more years left on a contract that the Sabres can hold him to.  If the Sabres don't like the offers made for him, he'll have to play out most or all of the season here and get moved closer to the TDL or after the season is over.

Never ever heard anything negative about Risto’s character.  Seems like a great teammate too.  If the Canucks had the assets to get Risto, I’d be overjoyed to have him on our team.  I think he’s worth a lot more than we can afford to pay though.  

I think I asked you this before, but forgot if I did. :picard:

would your GM help the Leafs with their cap issues by taking Willam Nylander + picks for Risto?

Edited by Alflives

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

@SabreFan1

1 hour ago, canucklehead80 said:

Here's the questions about Ristolainen that the writeup is referring to...  I have the video set at the initial Risto question, then you'll see after the first answer the follow-up where the reporter wants clarification and Botterill gives him the blunt answer/non-denial that has some people talking.

Edited by SabreFan1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Never ever heard anything negative about Risto’s character.  Seems like a great teammate too.  If the Canucks had the assets to get Risto, I’d be overjoyed to have him on our team.  I think he’s worth a lot more than we can afford to pay though.

Risto is a relatively quiet kind of guy.  I'm guessing his agent let it slip out that they want him traded.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

By that logic, every NCAA prospect are better than CHL?

That's not what I was saying.  The point is; it is a lot harder for a young player to play against adult sized men and become the 4th best scorer on his team.

He might be playing in an adult league, but that league doesn’t have any McDavid type of prospect either.  I don’t think that’s a good comparaison.

And the CDN Jr league has only had 1 McDavid.  There are a lot of great players in the NHL that went throught the college hockey league.  One just has to review the past drafts to see that the college's in the US are developing future NHL players at a rapid rate and each year there are more.

anyway, I like where Madden is heading but if a legit top 3/4 D is available, giving that’s our weakness, I wouldn’t hesitate.

I would hope that JB would put a lot of thought into it before adding Tyler to the trade.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Kobayashi Maru said:

That’s fine as long as it’s with us.  I was starting to lose hope but it’s regained.  Hope we’re the ones!

If we are signing Myers, and trading for Risto, then Tanevor Stecher has to go - likely Tanev.  

Would Tanev + Gaudette + 2020 second be fair?  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we are signing Myers, and trading for Risto, then Tanevor Stecher has to go - likely Tanev.  

Would Tanev + Gaudette + 2020 second be fair?  

They would likely take that in a heartbeat.  I would rather someone like Madden for Gaudette in that proposal. Fine with Tanev and even Stecher going if we have Edler, Myers, Risto to go with Hughes, Joulevi and eventually Tryamkin

Pick an prospect an appears we don’t have throw in ready D , nor would they want one of our cast offs . Keep gaudette he is future third liner for us Tanev would not likely satisfy their thirst ( injury prone an brittle ) I give up madden an Stecher no picks if not wait two years TDL give pick up then