The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks aggressively pursuing Tyson Barrie

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCanuck said:

Rick Dhaliwal on air saying over the past few days he's been hearing from multiple sources that the Canucks have been aggressively pursuing Tyson Barrie in trade talks with Colorado.

barrie is another shrimp D man and that is not what this teams needs imo. I hope this does not happen.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

No thanks.  We need more size on the back end if we ever want to make an impact in the playoffs.

We need good defensemen first to get into the playoffs, before making any impact at all.

Didn't preven Torey Krug having a pretty good palyoffs

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Canucks and Avs flip picks, then #10 to Minny for Zucker.  Perhaps it's even a three-way, where we send Minny a dman.

Very plausible. Although I feel like #10 for Zucker is way overvalued IMO. I just can't imagine Zucker having a lot of value given it's public knowledge that he's been almost traded twice and there's almost no way he's going to in Minnesota at the start of the season anyway.

Maybe we get #12 and Zucker for #10 and a small add. Then move Zucker and #12 to the Avs for Barrie, #16 (draft Seider? or maybe Soderstrom?), and a 2nd (Zucker is signed, Barrie is UFA after this coming season).

Lots of possibilities.

• Wat 1

9 minutes ago, BlueDragon23 said:

I don’t believe a lot word Dhaliwal says after the Edler fiasco.

Guy has lost all credibility in my eyes 

Shouldn’t be the case,

edler talks had had been quiet and Probly picked up partly because it had been reported he was likely headed to July 1.

then he was first and correct in reporting discussions picked up yesterday and were getting close due to Edler agreeing to not have a no move beyond 2 years.

considering the deal wasn’t signed until 3 am im sure 3 and 4 year deals were discussed but in the end Edler Probly realized that Seattle would have a great chance to pick him up and elected a 2 year deal and managed to get paid a bit more because of the shorter term.

i think everything he reported was the best info at the time, I love that we get his sources. 

Edited by brian42
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

barrie is another shrimp D man and that is not what this teams needs imo. I hope this does not happen.

Sure I can understand the size argument, but an extremely offensively gifted RH D is exactly what this team needs. 

1 hour ago, The_Rocket said:

Tanev + 10th for Barrie + 16th? Canucks have to add more?

No thanks. As a rebuilding club we should not downgrade the 1st round pick when we know the top 12 prospects are a level above the rest. Plus we don't need another shrimp. If that offer was for Risto I would do it.

39 minutes ago, Pickly said:

I doubt Minny even trades Dumba for Boeser straight up let alone adding a first. 

Totally agree. Teams don't give up young #1 D men for wingers.  It would take at least Boeser and our 1st to get Dumba and they probably still don't do it.....because there are so few #1 D men around.

There are lotsa wingers though. 

• Upvote 1

I like Barrie over Gardiner but the fact that we would have to pay Barrie and assets does scare me a bit.

moving down from #10  with Tanev to #16 for Barrie would make it worth it in my opinion because I think the Canucks can get a similar player in those two draft positions unless a top-5-7 talent falls to 10.

i do think the Canucks would have to add a bit but I may be ok with that if it was a 3rd or Prospect like Lind.

5 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

No thanks. As a rebuilding club we should not downgrade the 1st round pick when we know the top 12 prospects are a level above the rest. Plus we don't need another shrimp. If that offer was for Risto I would do it.

The difference between 10 and 16 is a crapshoot.  Look where we got Boeser.

I'd do that trade.  

Tavev+10

For

Barrie+16

The upgrade from Tanev to Barrie would be worth it for sure.

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Very plausible. Although I feel like #10 for Zucker is way overvalued IMO. I just can't imagine Zucker having a lot of value given it's public knowledge that he's been almost traded twice and there's almost no way he's going to in Minnesota at the start of the season anyway.

Maybe we get #12 and Zucker for #10 and a small add. Then move Zucker and #12 to the Avs for Barrie, #16 (draft Seider? or maybe Soderstrom?), and a 2nd (Zucker is signed, Barrie is UFA after this coming season).

Lots of possibilities.

That is hilarious. GMs around the league said they value him highly. Go read the Zucker thread.....good god.

31 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If we really want an RHD why not shop Boeser to Minni for Dumb and this years first?

If Boeser is going to want north of $7 million....addition by subtraction

Add Dumba and Seider/Broberg or whoever is available at 11.

Go ahead, flame me.  But I just don't see the point in parting with the assets it will require to nab Barrie, or Ristolianen, or move up to 6th.

This is the year where Benning needs to sit on his hands and just shut up.  not jump the gun.

Given BB6's ties to Minny I also thought of this in my brain compartment, but did not post in fear of said "flaming." I just have this odd feeling about the contract negotiations and why they have not progressed further. I know, it is "only June," but in most cases players that want to be somewhere will get it done in a timely manner. If he is in fact waiting to see what other comparable players get, he is going to come in with a high number although he has not played two full seasons compared to his peers. I would rather trade BB6 for Dumba and 1st/2nd than for Barrie or Risto. Dumba has snarl in his game and is loved in Minny. Hypothetically, would you do:

VAN:

BB6 > Needs new contract (estimate between $7-8mil for 3-5 years)

Stech > Signed for 1 more year at $2.35mil AAV (College bros although I would rather it be Hutty)  

MIN:

Dumba > Locked up for 4 more years at $6mil AAV (Great value)

Zucker > Locked up for 4 more years at $5.5mil AAV (Also great value)

2019: 2nd

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Why not just wait until he's a UFA and sign him then for just dollars?  We don't have young assets or picks to give up.  

Many reasons

- Because someone else could trade for him and sign him, either this summer or at the trade deadline.  I'm sure many people said that about Karlsson...never hit the market.

- His negotiations rights could be traded next June and signed before he's UFA

- If he's UFA, other teams will be bidding for him, likely will cost more

- If he has an 80 pts season, cost will be sky high, if we trade for him, we'll likely have a long-term deal in place before season start.  (On the other could have an awful season and we would overpay....can go either way).

- We could offer him an 8 year contract instead of 7.  Likely bringing down his AAV.

Ultimately, all comes down the price tag

Edited by timberz21
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Canucks and Avs flip picks, then #10 to Minny for Zucker.  Perhaps it's even a three-way, where we send Minny a dman.

Trading for futures could work for Minnesota if they can get what they want in free agency.  Officially free agency discussions only opens on Sunday though.  Fenton says he's looking for a scoring right shot (re why they tried for Kessel) either by trade or free agency.  They are apparently interested in Pavelski.  Their other target is Lee - who is a left shot LW and wouldn't solve their problems but he is a proven scorer.    

For the Canucks Barrie is a one year rental.  The trade has to happen after pick 9.  

9 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Lots of possibilities.

Apparently a lot of interest in Zucker.  Fenton also says he doesn't see the need to move up - he feels that at 12 he can get the same kind of player that is available at 4 or 5.  So moving up 2 spots doesn't hold much value for him. 

51 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If we really want an RHD why not shop Boeser to Minni for Dumb and this years first?

If Boeser is going to want north of $7 million....addition by subtraction

Add Dumba and Seider/Broberg or whoever is available at 11.

Go ahead, flame me.  But I just don't see the point in parting with the assets it will require to nab Barrie, or Ristolianen, or move up to 6th.

This is the year where Benning needs to sit on his hands and just shut up.  not jump the gun.

Benning has stated numerous times he will not be trading any of the core players.

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

That is hilarious. GMs around the league said they value him highly. Go read the Zucker thread.....good god.

GMs around the league will say this to up the trade value for their competition to acquire. Zucker has been publicly "dealt" twice already. The longer this drags out, the worse it gets for Minni. Do you think Minnesota can play hardball and have Zucker on the team to start the season?