The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I was a huge Toffoli guy when we traded for him, and he does make us stronger, short term, but at what cost? With Huggy giving Tanev such a endorsement, and Tanev playing so steady, with no injuries, it is very apparent to me which way we should go...........re-sign Tanev who compliments Huggy..........starting to be a pretty easy call for me lately.

Same goes for the argument with Pods coming on strong........his draft pedigree was 3rd best player in the draft, and fell because he was Russian, makes me feel pretty  fortunate, and with his progression in the KHL, even  more.

I am not sure with with Pods development you want to put any long term money into Toffoli.

As for Toffoli's cost...................it's the cost of doing business, and alot has changed since Benning got him, including a flat cap,  and Covid. You can't blame Benning on that one.

So as much as it pains me to loose assets for free.........this mess has caused us some re-thinking, and will have Benning doing a little re-jigging......

Just got my fingers crossed that Juolevi, Rathbone, Pods, Hogs, Woo and DiPietro can all continue their development in a positive way............

Not to mention, Gaudette, McEwen and Demko (untill he is not)

Lind is the other guy Im looking forward to see grow as a player. He's definitely my dark horse to take a spot next season. 

Its going to be very interesting to see how our lineup unfolds the next couple years. Ferland's injuries, Flat cap, seattle expansion, Russian players coming over and lots of young skilled guys coming up soon and needing spots currently filled.

Its an interesting time to be a Canuck fan

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I was a huge Toffoli guy when we traded for him, and he does make us stronger, short term, but at what cost? With Huggy giving Tanev such a endorsement, and Tanev playing so steady, with no injuries, it is very apparent to me which way we should go...........re-sign Tanev who compliments Huggy..........starting to be a pretty easy call for me lately.

They compliment each other.  It's a mutual admiration society

Oh - you meant complement. Yes, I agree with that

(grammar police reporting for duty)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, playboi19 said:

The younger players call him Dad. I don't think Benning will let their dad go while they're still growing.

Podkolzin will need a dad when he leaves Mother Russia.

Podz is bringing a Tree with him as his "security blanket"

• Cheers 1

On 8/7/2020 at 5:07 PM, Provost said:

So we will have a chance to see Podkolzin for a while in the KHL and see how ready he is before free agency starts.  With the NHL not starting until December and the KHL regular season finishing in February, we will also likely be able to get him into our lineup with half or more of the season left next season.

Does that odd scheduling quirk mean the pressure to sign Toffoli is a lot less?  We just have to survive half a season with some combo of Eriksson, Leivo, and Virtanen in that 2nd line spot (whichever guys are actually in our lineup by then).  It is a lot different than just being able to have a KHL player for a few games right at the end of the season like normal.

Unfortunately there is also Gagarin Cup tournament (KHL playoffs) starting on March 2, 2021 and SKA is going to be one of favorites to win the cup. The projected date for potential game 7 of the cup final is scheduled for April 30, 2021.

On 8/7/2020 at 10:35 AM, costanza7 said:

Think Podz is going to be a real nice compliment to this group....

Another reason why Toffoli shouldn't be a huge priority for the team.

All efforts and any extra cap space should be focused on acquiring a top 4 RHD

(Tanev or Stetches $$ plus Ferlands 3.5 LTIR = RHD upgrade)

*Be great if Seattle would bite on Myers.

Petey  Boes

Miller    Bo   

Podz/Jake/Hogs rounding out the top 6

will be a very formidable top 6 in a couple years.

If Gaudette can continue to improve in 3c role and we can surround him w/some

big tuff fast ELC wingers...Hogs looks to be one.

Wish had kept Madden/McCann/all those 2nds that have wasted for the likes of Baer Vey Gudbranson and Toffoli

All the squandered  Erix/Ferland/Sutter/Roussel/Baer/Beagle $$ coming off in couple yrs

Really see this current teams window beginning in 2021/22 - ??

Don't know if I missed a part of this conversation but, Myers has an NMC. 

He has to be protected.

Daniel Gee (@DanielGScouting) Tweeted:
#Canucks Vasily Podkolzin played more games between the 6th-8th. This video looks at sample of his penalty killing. Something you will notice is his aggressiveness + pressure he applies on puck carriers. He had some outstanding time killing sequences.