The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

12 minutes ago, danaimo said:

Maybe it was all a dream.  How did we manage to draft Horvat?  I'm pretty sure Gillis didn't sneak up onto the draft stage when no one was looking.  Have you never heard those now famous words from Gary Bettman "We have a trade to announce.  I think you're gonna want to hear this!" 

I can't this image out of my head now.  Along with the thought of that actually working then, the following year, other teams trying it and there ends up being a royal rumble for 1st overall.  I'd like the Canucks chances, you KNOW Weisbrod would be bringing in the brass knuckles.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Hey lets compile a list of 15 year olds to see what we're missing out on, so we can really sink our teeth into the endless bitching about this deal. 

The trade’s details aside, anyone unhappy with the addition of this player is arguably not a fan of the NHL or is trolling.

The player is an ideal role player addition to this roster, filling the gap once imagined for Virtanen, which I’d rather have too many of than not enough. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, mpt said:

Chasing my tail by saying the 1st rounder we gave up can easily be a lottery pick?  No it still easily can, miss the playoffs both years and its a lottery pick.  Pretty easily to understand.  Maybe that is too difficult for you guys to understand, but it sounds pretty simple to me.

This is painfully obvious.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, danaimo said:

In fairness, no has made any guarantees of making the playoffs.  People that you are arguing with are simply making the rational argument that there is a higher probability that the Canucks do make the playoffs at least once in the next 2 years as opposed to them not making the playoffs at all in the next 2 years.  There logic is sound.  Yours is not.  Calm down and do the math.    

No one can make that claim logically, what is the probability of making the playoffs?  It can’t be determined.  What you can do is look at the roster as it is and see that we are far away from being a contender.  Not being a contender is at much more risk of missing the playoffs then making it.   You guys just have your homer glasses on.  Last year we were 5 wins away from the playoffs and 5 wins away from 2nd last place.  Somehow that translates into making the playoffs.

The argument is we are improving as we have young kids whom will get better.  True, so does every other team.  When you have huge holes in your top 6 forwards and top 4 D, its going to be hard to reasonably say this team makes the playoffs

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

The trade’s details aside, anyone unhappy with the addition of this player is arguably not a fan of the NHL or is trolling.

The player is an ideal role player addition to this roster, filling the gap once imagined for Virtanen, which I’d rather have too many of than not enough. 

Jim's hung on to 1st rounders like he was protecting the family jewels. So let think for a minute, if this is the guy Jim made the ultimate trade sacrifice for (for the pick crowd) what should that tell us about the character of the player? 

Yeah, it was expensive. Show me a playoff team that didn't make a sacrifice. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, mpt said:

Chasing my tail by saying the 1st rounder we gave up can easily be a lottery pick?  No it still easily can, miss the playoffs both years and its a lottery pick.  Pretty easily to understand.

I think the odds are pretty slim for the Canucks to miss the playoffs the following two seasons. But even if we did, and gave up a lottery pick in 2021, we still come out ahead because this pick was used to fill a major hole in the top 6.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I can't this image out of my head now.  Along with the thought of that actually working then, the following year, other teams trying it and there ends up being a royal rumble for 1st overall.  I'd like the Canucks chances, you KNOW Weisbrod would be bringing in the brass knuckles.

LMAO. Stevie Y elbowing George McPhail in the face while Bowman is holding Savic's ankle as he crawls up the steps.  Too funny.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DryiceX said:

I'm sure TB will be able to improve that position on their roster now that they have his cap space free and an extra first rounder to trade. I like the guy.. but Vancouver overpaid.  Hell, Jersey didnt even give up a first to get Schneider from the Canucks.. or a first to get subban from Nashville.   It shows the difference between a good Gm vs a mediocre won.

Yes Jersey gave up a top 10 pick to get Schneider, what are you talking about... we drafted bo Horvat with that pick.

• Haha 2

Jim's hung on to 1st rounders like he was protecting the family jewels. So let think for a minute, if this is the guy Jim made the ultimate trade sacrifice for (for the pick crowd) what should that tell us about the character of the player? 

Yeah, it was expensive. Show me a playoff team that didn't make a sacrifice. 

Do you reasonably think that in the next two years, Miller is the best player we could acquire dangling a trade package involving a 1st round pick?  I don’t, this is a move of a desperate GM trying to make the playoffs at all costs to save his job.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

I think you are underestimating Hughes and since when does the success or failure of a team fall completely on 1 defenseman?

Hughes is a great piece. 

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

So when a team makes it to the final and they lose their top dman to injury they should just forfeit the rest of the games?

Sorry but that is a completely stupid statement.  Why would a team forfeit? 

Are you disagreeing that a teams chances of winning doesn’t decrease if their #1 D goes down? 

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

The 2011 Canucks and teams like TB does not guarantee you anything and teams like St. Louis and Vegas in their first year prove anything is possible depending on the 23 players on your roster.

What does this have to do with canucks need for a core D?  Did you happen to see what’s the blues back end look like?  

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

I think the "Tank" philosophy has been proven ridiculous and the teams "Character" composition has a far more impact on a teams success in the playoffs then just pure talent alone.

Now you’re really on the loose end. What does this have to do with tanking? 

2 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

I think the odds are pretty slim for the Canucks to miss the playoffs the following two seasons. But even if we did, and gave up a lottery pick in 2021, we still come out ahead because this pick was used to fill a major hole in the top 6.

We are entitled to our opinions, you can feel we will make the playoffs, we can wish we’ll make the playoffs. However, this team still has way too many holes need filling for that to be anything to bet on.

• Cheers 1

Just now, mpt said:

Do you reasonably think that in the next two years, Miller is the best player we could acquire dangling a trade package involving a 1st round pick?  I don’t, this is a move of a desperate GM trying to make the playoffs at all costs to save his job.

"the best"? who the hell knows. Is this a great addition, yup. We've seen the market comparable's and this is right in line with this years market, in fact he's a much better deal for us than Hayes e.g., and isn't a soft player either. 

You can get into knots about guesses at future potential or theoretical losses but this is the market, now. 

Your idea that this is desperate is pure speculation, you have no idea what his relationship or discussion are with ownership. 

• Cheers 2

"the best"? who the hell knows. Is this a great addition, yup. We've seen the market comparable's and this is right in line with this years market, in fact he's a much better deal for us than Hayes e.g., and isn't a soft player either. 

You can get into knots about guesses at future potential or theoretical losses but this is the market, now. 

Your idea that this is desperate is pure speculation, you have no idea what his relationship or discussion are with ownership. 

100% agree it is pure speculation, we’ll find out soon enough

• Cheers 3

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Hey lets compile a list of 15 year olds to see what we're missing out on, so we can really sink our teeth into the endless bitching about this deal. 

Heading down to my local rink now as we speak. I'll keep you posted on who they are....

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mpt said:

I also agree with you.

Like I’ve said, details aside, and I readily acknowledge Jeneeous Jim’s managerial brilliance with club assets, I like the player enough, as I did Guddy, not to burn my voodoo doll of the man.

Glad to have Miller, but admit to wondering what else was available, as we all do with any move ever made. I have some irons in the fire, but still know very precious little about what’s in-play out there. Wouldn’t it be nice? Or would it??

7 minutes ago, mpt said:

When you have huge holes in your top 6 forwards and top 4 D, its going to be hard to reasonably say this team makes the playoffs

Oh you didnt hear? We just filled the huge hole in our top 6.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, mpt said:

Chasing my tail by saying the 1st rounder we gave up can easily be a lottery pick?  No it still easily can, miss the playoffs both years and its a lottery pick.  Pretty easily to understand.  Maybe that is too difficult for you guys to understand, but it sounds pretty simple to me.

Everybody understands the potential consequence, just not everybody is a pessimistic wet blanket afraid of a little risk.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I also agree with you.

Like I’ve said, details aside, and I readily acknowledge Jeneeous Jim’s managerial brilliance with club assets, I like the player enough, as I did Guddy, not to burn my voodoo doll of the man.

Glad to have Miller, but admit to wondering what else was available, as we all do with any move ever made. I have some irons in the fire, but still know very precious little about what’s in-play out there. Wouldn’t it be nice? Or would it??

Agreed, since we aren’t a contender anytime in the near future, does this really change anything when its likely our best moveable asset?  Besides Petey, Bo, Hughes, Boeser what do we have that is more valuable than a 1st?  Are we that sold on Miller that he’ll make that much of a difference to trade our 5th best asset?  I’m not.  

I like the player, I’m not sure I like the trade, especially when we need a much better player than Miller on this team to be a contender and just gave up our most moveable asset

Edited by mpt
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Actually I think you're missing the point.  Players like Miller are strong complimentary guys.  They are your, Coyle's, Johansson's, Kane's and Hossa's.  Players that aren't core foundation pieces, but pieces that help push your core over the top into the next level.  And Canucks are not at that spot yet.  We still have missing pieces in our core.  aka our back end.  And You're not getting a core defensemen in UFA,  Myers and Gardiner aren't those types (they are miller caliber complementary pieces).  Canucks NEED a core piece on that back end.  A D you can build around.  

So instead of trading our most attractive piece at a discounted value for a complimentary filler, we should have been using that to obtain that missing core D.  I'm not against trading our first, but at this point we don't have a ton of tradable assets, so the ones we do have, need to go towards packaging up and filling core pieces.  

In two years if Canucks are back in the playoff spot and looking for a player to get us over the hump.  Then you go get that complimentary player (like Gillis thought he was doing with Booth).

i hear where you are coming from (even though i like the jt miller addition)

i have found it a bit puzzling for a number of years now

that the nucks were so reluctant to invest in dmen like they are in forwards

they simply kept putting out that same tired/weak d grouping and tried to run with it

since d take longer to develop, it always seemed to me that drafting d should have been done first/earlier - they didn't

nucks drafted joulevi (who has encountered some misfortune) and hughes (who appears to be a future #1)

but i still think that overall we do not have the same depth of young d as we do forwards

and then this draft year, not 1 single dman was drafted, but another goalie is drafted

that is all very puzzling to me

i'm very curious to know what team management's explanation for this all is

i'm sure they have a complete plan for the d... it's just a plan that i'm having trouble seeing

Edited by coastal.view