The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Deserves Better!

Rate this topic

Dixon Ward

6 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

He hasn’t walked away from JV, Granlund, and Baerschit yet unfortunately. In fact, I think him and weisbrod are the opposite.

I mean force feeding minutes to his trades and not qualifying better value players. Rumour is they aren’t qualifying Hutton. 

Sounds like Ike he is stubborn and trying to force his bad trades into good trades to me.

And he'll have fun, fun, fun until Aquallini takes his trades away! Wa oooo wa oo oo oo oooo

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tomatoes11 said:

I am not going to reply to all of them because most of it is just poor excuses, but number 8 takes the cake. This is the most ridiculous justification I ever seen. Lol

Somehow losing a lottery pick is okay if we have bigger issues?! What?! If we have bigger issues in 2021, the last thing we would need is to lose a lottery pick. 

We lost a lottery pick in 2021? are you nostradamus? As far as I can tell its 2019, I will go check a calendar but I'm pretty sure I'm right

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

Are you under the impression that other GMs picks and trades all work out to their advantage?  If so, then why don't all 30 of them have perfect teams? Why doesn't everybody get a Stanley cup every year?

Nothing wrong with trades and moves that don’t work out. I am all for the Erikksson signing, goldolbin and Dahlen trades despite them not working out.

The issue is all for his other moves are inherently flawed at the time in terms of the goal to rebuild a proper foundation. 

Edited by Tomatoes11

2 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

I am not going to reply to all of them because most of it is just poor excuses, but number 8 takes the cake. This is the most ridiculous justification I ever seen. Lol

Somehow losing a lottery pick is okay if we have bigger issues?! What?! If we have bigger issues in 2021, the last thing we would need is to lose a lottery pick. 

He's a real nowhere man, sitting in his nowhere land, making all his nowhere posts for no one.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

"He inherited a team that had Brendan Gaunce as it's only possible prospect who may ever make the NHL. " lol. 

He actually inherited a powerhouse which consistently won the President's trophy or division titles. Now we are consistently drafting top 10. 

Stop putting down others (Gillis) to make Benning look good. Gillis was a great GM and brought us to the finals and created wonderful memories for us. Benning is still trying and the jury is still out there. In 2-3 years, if we are still a bottomfeeder, then Benning has failed. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, CreamCheese said:

He Drafted Virtnanen over Nylander and Ehlers (both of who CDC basically unanimously wanted)

JB had only been the gm for a month at that point he was probably just listing to the scouts that had been in there from MG this still wasn't GMJB team yet 

Edited by CanucksCountry
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

He actually inherited a powerhouse which consistently won the President's trophy or division titles. Now we are consistently drafting top 10. 

you want to talk about inheriting a team that was GMMG. That core was all Brain Burke and Dave Nonis  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

I honestly see only 3 scenarios where this trade doesn’t hurt a lot.

If Miller becomes Ryan O Reilly or William Karlsson. Not likely I say.

or

We win the presidents trophy next season. Again not very likely.

Or

we miss the playoffs next season and win the presidents trophy in 2021. Even more unlikely than the middle one. 

So we lost a ton of value here. Which really hurts.....

3 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I am not saying he can't, I just don't get all the hate.  He has done more good than bad by far imho.

Look at all the blatant dishonesty(false narratives) in today's media, particularly within the realms of geopolitics & biz/economy. Appears we can't expect honesty/accuracy in anything, including sport.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

You are missing a lot. Every move he has made was bad basically. Only two good trades at the time were Hansen for goldolbin and conditional 1st( a much better condition than our condition in the Miller trade by the way. Our condition is basically nothing at all) and Burrows for Dahlen. Other than that, every other trade was bad.

Oddly enough, both trades flopped in hindsight but those were the only two good trades at the time. 

94A72E7C-4B4D-4271-9077-1506F7CFF6F6.gif

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, 6string said:

The 2016 FA other than Stamkos resigning was a complete bust...Eriksson, Lucic, Okposo, Campbell, Martin and Backes....Yup JB failed big time with others in the business.

Sutter's injuries makes it too difficult to measure, fourth line is your failure to realize he's a better player than that when he's healthy.

Virtanen is a current fail to  Ehlers, but who would ever take a soft Nylander and that contract?

Gudbranson turns into Pearson, I would take Pearson a couple of years older over McCann any day of the week.

Joulevi to date a fail. But, time is on his side at 21 years old.

Beagle and Roussell are excellent parts to a young lineup in the minds of many.

Schaller a fail to date.

JT Miller is beyond Leivo and Leivo was a steal.

In Benning we trust.

::D

I don't give many hearts bro

But you stole mine

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Most fan boards have a strong home bias and that is particularly true of CDC. I am not sure why, but I feel compelled to argue against some of the points that have been raised even though my view will be a "contrarian" (i.e. unpopular) view as far as CDC is concerned.

1. I don't believe there is any particular media bias or fan bias against Vancouver. Most fans and most media personalities favor their home teams but I would say that, on average, people (fans and media and players) in other cities are more positive about Vancouver than they are about most cities or most teams. When I have travelled around I find that most people are very positive about Vancouver as a city and are pretty generous in their assessments of the Canucks. Certainly people go out of their way to say nice things about EP, about the Sedins, and about Boeser. The reason we don't see more positive things about the Canucks in the media is that the Canucks have not provided enough to be positive about.

2.  Further to point 2, the Canuck cumulative performance has been very poor in the past 4 years. They rank second to last in the NHL in winning percentage, which is not good, but many people think that goal differential is actually a better measure of performance. I just checked CORISCA. Over the last four years the Canucks have the worst goal differential in the NHL -- dead last.

3. Benning supporters will say that he is "doing fine", that "everyone makes mistakes", "rebuilding takes time" etc. And people can defend particular moves. But, overall, the Canucks have a terrible record during the Benning regime. And recent Stanley Cup winners (St. Louis, Washington, Pittsburgh, etc.) did not go through as bad a stretch as the Canucks have recently. Yes, the cupboard was quite bare when Benning took over (but Horvat was in it, as were Markstrom, Edler and Tanev). The Canucks had a weak pipeline, but not the worst pipeline in the league. Even taking into account where the team was when Benning took over, the team has under-performed since then. The best year was Benning's first, when the team was mostly an inherited team. Since then, Benning has made many moves but, aside from the three excellent draft picks (Boeser, EP, Hughes) the team consists mainly of "complementary" players or "role" players rather than guys who would be core players on a good team. 

4. The reason Benning is taking a lot of criticism over the Miller trade is that it looks like a bad trade. From Tampa's point of view they traded away a guy who is a pretty good player but dropped to their 4th line by the end of the season. He was being paid  too much for bottom 6 foward and Tampa needed to clear some cap space. They succeeded in clearing cap space and trading a guy who, from their point of view, was a bottom 6 winger, and they got a first round pick and a high third round pick in return. That must look good from Tampa's point of view.

5.. One more thing about giving up first round picks. About 90% of the optimism regarding the Canucks comes from four recent first round picks: Horvat, Boeser, EP, and Hughes (and now maybe Podkolzin). You don't hit on every first round pick but you need elite players to contend for a Cup. Your best chance of getting elite players is with first round picks, especially high first round picks. Yes, Miller is as good as the average first round pick but he is not an elite player and probably not even a core player on a good team. And the Canucks have given up a decent chance of getting an elite player in future by giving up the pick.

Edited by JamesB
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I am overall supportive of Jim Bennings efforts... not so much because of his trades, but because of his drafts.

I believe you need to judge a GM on his total management, not just the trades.... Jim makes the decisions on the picks and his have been good ones.

That is not to say he hasn't made mistakes in the trading part of his responsibilities, he has.  But overall those mistakes have not stopped the team from trending upwards.

The reasons the Canucks have had poor seasons are not all on Jim.... this team has suffered a lot of injuries to our core players over the last two years and that has definitely affected our final placement in the standings.  I am not worried about the positions the team has ended in the last two years because when healthy the team played a lot better and would have placed much higher.

My major concern with how this team is managed is the continued lack of strength in the D corps.  Yes, we have Hughes, and there are others in the pipeline like Woo.  But I believe JB should have spent more of his efforts and resources on acquiring quality D men instead of forwards.  I think he should have spared no effort to get Tryamkin back.  (I am still hoping he is working on this)

Bottom line, I like what I see in this team now... we have a lot of young skilled forwards and one potential offensive D-Star.  Now we just need to add the solid BIG Defensemen that are necessary for a Cup Winner.  (see St Louis D Corps)

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

1. Louie Erickson - yep overpaid, didn't work out. BUT, we needed a top 6 winger to play with the twins, he had shown amazing chemistry in international play, and LE was a consistent 20-30 goal scorer coming off a 30 goal, 60+ point season. We could have had him or Lucic or Ladd, would that have been better? NO..

I also find the idea of people whining about salary hilarious. Are you paying it? Did we have cap issues? Did it prevent us from making moves? NO its a red herring BS argument, throw that nonsense in the trash where it belongs. Did? You do realize he's signed for 3 more years right? Once Brock is re-signed and we add a "high-end" UFA yes we will have cap issues. 

2. Sutter - yep overpaid - but see above. Did it hurt you? the cap? the team? No. Sutter had an effective number of years in Pittsburgh and when healthy has been effective here. He has certainly helped take pressure off Bo, and if you don't think so you don't understand hockey development. For whatever reason, he has been unable to stay injury free here, unlucky but not a bad player and again, cap hit and salary has had no bearing on anything. Same as above, signed for 2 more years is going to cause issues. Also i'd say the Sedins helped take pressure off Bo, Sutter... not so much. Bo's Rookie season this guy played 20 games....

3. JV vs Ehlers and Nylander. Now this is HILARIOUS! Yep online fans wanted them both, in fact I wanted Ehlers, and 4 years into their careers, I am glad we have JV. Size, speed, a great shot, great defensively and getting better every year and wait for it, at a small cap hit. Meanwhile you have regular season dancers in Ehlers and Nylander who play houdini in the playoffs when it matters. Moreover they are paid 6 mil and 8 mil respectively to hide in the corner come playoff time. Both of those players are on the trading block for a reason and not 'rumours' as a fact....We don't need guys who put up 60 -70 pts in the reg season, get paid tons, only to disappear when it counts buddy. Oh OK buddy, you're right we need a guy who can't crack a really weak lineup, unless JV comes to camp a new man and proves he can be a consistent hockey player his time in Vancouver and potentially the NHL will be done. Ehlers and Nylander are great hockey players and the playoff success will come (Nylander's playoff PPG isn't even bad) 

4. Yep McCann / Guddy didn't work out, but McCann wasn't working out here and we needed size on the back end, win some lose some. This trade was already a big L but just wait McCann is primed for his breakout year next season. 

5. Doesn't matter what 'everyone wants'. The scouting staff is there for a reason, and you'll be thankful in 2 years when OJ is a top 4 dman, that we drafted him given our lack of high end D prospects. btw if we draft Tkachuk and Nylander we'd probably not have EP40 and QH and would be worse off, because we'd be scoring alot in the reg season and squeaking into the playoffs and doing nothing because of lack of talent anywhere else, and the fact Nylander/Ehlers are felines in the playoffs. So we're really going to argue this one? Like really? Even if OJ becomes a top 4 dman (which is no guarentee and some would say a long shot) a top 4dman is nowhere near What Tkachuk is, he's a legitmate first line power forward who does it all for his team. Laughable you try to defend this one. We all wanted Tkachuk and we deserved Tkachuk. 

6. Beagle has done nothing other that deliver great play for his role, leadership and grit, as Rousell has. How you can criticize those players given how they have played for us is absurd. They have played with intensity, heart and soul every night and are leaders and impactful in their respective roles. Anyone with any hockey knowledge can see they were full value. I'm not arguing these guys aren't nice additions to a team, but only GMJB was willing to give these guys 4 year deals at high $$ amount for career 4th liners. These are the kind of deals that make things difficult trying to re-sign our young stars / pick up high-end UFA's. 

7. Schaller low cost depth, who cares. Again just something to complain about, low salary depth. Did we have cap issues? No. We will. 

8. Lottery pick? If we're in the lottery in 2021 we have bigger issues. Small upgrade on Leivo? Really? a 50 pt player playing the third line is a small upgrade to Leivo? Wow. This one is the favourite, there is no bigger issue for a team not making the playoffs year after year than not having your 1st round LOTTERY pick. Seriously tell me the bigger issues we would have than this come 2021 if we once again miss the playoffs. I'd love to know!

OH my

Look forward to your rebuttal :) 

1 hour ago, 6string said:

The 2016 FA other than Stamkos resigning was a complete bust...Eriksson, Lucic, Okposo, Campbell, Martin and Backes....Yup JB failed big time with others in the business.

Sutter's injuries makes it too difficult to measure, fourth line is your failure to realize he's a better player than that when he's healthy.

Virtanen is a current fail to  Ehlers, but who would ever take a soft Nylander and that contract?

Gudbranson turns into Pearson, I would take Pearson a couple of years older over McCann any day of the week.

Joulevi to date a fail. But, time is on his side at 21 years old.

Beagle and Roussell are excellent parts to a young lineup in the minds of many.

Schaller a fail to date.

JT Miller is beyond Leivo and Leivo was a steal.

In Benning we trust.

::D

Hard to disagree or agree on any of your comments, You'd make a good politician lol. 

• Haha 1