The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2020 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 Oct.6 @ 4pm PST (SN). Rounds 2-7 Oct.7 @ 8:30am (SN1)

Noble 6

• 2 weeks later...

#1) I don't know what other people think, And #2) I don't think it will actually happen...But! If we end up picking (not top 5) & Askarov is available, how can you not take him?

Still way to early to be making these kind of statements, I'll admit, but man this kid looks like the next great goaltender, in the mold of Luongo / Fluery / Price top of the draft type prospect.

People will say we have Demko, but goalies can not be counted on. Askarov could set us up with a legitimate franchise goaltender for the next 10 years. As much as goalies don't go high anymore, and the Russian KHL factor plays in, I have a hard time thinking he won't be considered top 10 across the board. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

#1) I don't know what other people think, And #2) I don't think it will actually happen...But! If we end up picking (not top 5) & Askarov is available, how can you not take him?

Still way to early to be making these kind of statements, I'll admit, but man this kid looks like the next great goaltender, in the mold of Luongo / Fluery / Price top of the draft type prospect.

People will say we have Demko, but goalies can not be counted on. Askarov could set us up with a legitimate franchise goaltender for the next 10 years. As much as goalies don't go high anymore, and the Russian KHL factor plays in, I have a hard time thinking he won't be considered top 10 across the board. 

So much intrigue with this guy. Craig Button "man crush" worthy. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

He’s in the KHL? That alone will cause half of the GM’s to back off from this kid. The KHL scares some GM’s and they won’t pick the kid because of this one aspect. 

21 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

He’s in the KHL? That alone will cause half of the GM’s to back off from this kid. The KHL scares some GM’s and they won’t pick the kid because of this one aspect. 

I think hes currently in the VHL. I'm sure like Podkolzin hes got some kind of agreement/contract with the parent club.

I think this years top 10 is shaping up to be better than last year.

Lafrienere - franchise W

Raymond - elite W

Byfield - potential 1C

Lundell - potential 1C

Askarov - pot franchise G

Holtz - pot 1st line W

Perfetti - pot 1 line W

Obviously all high end projection. But I feel like there's more legit potential top line players this year. 

Its also a good year for defenseman.

Drysdale

Barron

Guhle

Poirier

Schneider

Those are just the Canadians, and I'm sure I've missed a player or 2.

Most of these guys should be projected for middle of the 1st. So even if your outside the top 10, there'll be a good chance to get a quality T4D prospect. 

• Upvote 1

How many picks do the Canucks have for the 2020 Draft? 

I hope Benning is able to get another 1st (either mid or late first) round pick. If he can get a few more picks in general, that'd be great, for this coming draft. 

Markus Naslund's kid, Alex Naslund, is draft eligible this year from the looks of it. Just a interesting little note I got from watching the Modo vs Loko stream on youtube. Not even sure if he is playing. I just googled Modo U20 to see who they had and seen Naslund's name. I doubt we draft Alex Naslund but would be pretty cool if we did. Nazzy was my fav player as a kid when I first got into hockey. I'll be keeping an eye on his season to see how he does. He's got decent size at 6'1 180 pounds (eliteprospects). Oddly enough he doesn't have a place of birth listed on eliteprospects. Kinda curious if he was born in BC.

• Upvote 2

On 8/19/2019 at 9:53 AM, Smashian Kassian said:

I think hes currently in the VHL. I'm sure like Podkolzin hes got some kind of agreement/contract with the parent club.

Yaroslav Askarov plays in the SKA club system. Last year he played for the MHL club SKA-Varyagi (junior league). This month Askarov played for VHL club SKA-Neva in some exhibition games (VHL to KHL in Russia is like AHL to NHL in North America).

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Stierlitz said:

Yaroslav Askarov plays in the SKA club system. Last year he played for the MHL club SKA-Varyagi (junior league). This month Askarov played for VHL club SKA-Neva in some exhibition games (VHL to KHL in Russia is like AHL to NHL in North America).

So its the same organization Podkolzin is in. That's pretty cool. Do you know Askarov's contract status with SKA?

On 8/28/2019 at 12:45 AM, N7Nucks said:

Markus Naslund's kid, Alex Naslund, is draft eligible this year from the looks of it. Just a interesting little note I got from watching the Modo vs Loko stream on youtube. Not even sure if he is playing. I just googled Modo U20 to see who they had and seen Naslund's name. I doubt we draft Alex Naslund but would be pretty cool if we did. Nazzy was my fav player as a kid when I first got into hockey. I'll be keeping an eye on his season to see how he does. He's got decent size at 6'1 180 pounds (eliteprospects). Oddly enough he doesn't have a place of birth listed on eliteprospects. Kinda curious if he was born in BC.

is he even considered a player worthy of the draft?  even the Walgren brothers didnt get drafted. speaking of kids look like tag bertuzzi didn't get drafted.

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord

19 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So its the same organization Podkolzin is in. That's pretty cool. Do you know Askarov's contract status with SKA?

Askarov's contract with SKA will be over on April 30, 2022.

Russian experts are wondering where Yaroslav is going to play. He is too good for the MHL. SKA-Neva (VHL) already has 3-4 good goalies. There are four very good goalies in SKA (KHL) for this season.

On 8/28/2019 at 9:42 PM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

is he even considered a player worthy of the draft?  even the Walgren brothers didnt get drafted. speaking of kids look like tag bertuzzi didn't get drafted.

Like I said I doubt we draft him, but I'll try keep some tabs on him outta curiosity. As a big Naslund fan I'd be pretty happy to see him get drafted at all.

• Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...