The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we a playoff team this coming year? let's vote playoff teams in West

Rate this topic

tan

Are we a playoff team this year?  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 7/12/2019 at 1:33 PM, Patrick Jane said:

If we are making it. gotta beat out minny, chicago, Colorado, Winnipeg and maybe Arizona for last spot. If we are making it, its gonna be the 8th seed. 

I'd agree for the most part but it's (thankfully) not that easy, if any other of those teams in our division sustain even half of the injuries we normally get and we stay relatively healthy for a change we can move up the ladder quite a bit.. (crosses fingers) 

• Upvote 1

On 7/12/2019 at 2:33 PM, Patrick Jane said:

If we are making it. gotta beat out minny, chicago, Colorado, Winnipeg and maybe Arizona for last spot. If we are making it, its gonna be the 8th seed. 

Look how much playoffs change each year.  Look at Calgary last year to this year.  We made way more moves this offseason than Calgary last offseason we could possibly with our moves and the easier schedule and hopefully average injuries win the division or even the conference.  The west is wide open.  There is no dominant team.  The top this year in San Jose, Vegas, and Winnipeg are going to regress with all their lost pieces.  Nashville and Calgary on paper look the best but Calgary needs to make some big moves to get under the cap and Nashville just stayed relatively static losing PK and getting Duchene, (but who knows if he’ll bring his cancer there like in Colorado and Ottawa).

Lets see which teams have gotten better worse and stayed the same on paper:

Better: Canucks and Stars by a lot, Chicago (dunno WTF they’re doing), Arizona, and Colorado slightly.

Worse: Winnipeg and San Jose by a lot, Vegas by a decent amount

Same: Nashville, LA, Anaheim, Edmonton, Calgary (for now), St. Louis, Minnesota (although I think they will regress quite a bit this year).

We don’t know how much better the Canucks are, but I don’t think people realize how much better we are.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Conscience said:

What has dallas done? Theyve always been rather inconsistent and i see Benn and Bishop taking a step back.

edit i forgot pavelski and perry but still

They played great hockey last year and could have made it to the final instead of St Louis.   THN has them as a contender going into the season.  That said anything goes nowadays, being a contender really only guarantees you a spot in the dance.  After that anything happens.  So many better regular season teams lost in the first round last year, hard to say if it’s a fluke....but the sample size is starting to get big enough to realize that the regular season doesn’t really mean squat these days.  Vegas could have won the cup if not for a bogus game seven major.   Who knows what will happen for any team once they make the show next year.  

On 7/13/2019 at 5:33 AM, Patrick Jane said:

Dont think Colorado is going to be competing for last spot. They got a helluva team. Expecting Top 5 in West IMO

56 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Based off some basic WAR ratings we could end up battling SJ and WPG for the last 2 spots. 

Those are the two teams that I think will fall the farthest in each division from last year too.  If Byfuglien goes down WNP is screwed, and his workload just got a lot bigger, and he usually struggles to stay healthy.   Otherwise they are still a good team, you never know Laine could get traded to help their depleted defense too so they can fix things.  He was a non-factor the second half of last year anyways...and they still did fine.    SJ has EK, if he’s close to 100% which is entirely possible, maybe they will be fine.   For a year or two at most.  Burns isn’t getting any younger not that it’s a factor yet, but it will be one.   

MIN isn’t as good and getting old too.  Don’t think they are an automatic either. NSH should do fine but Rinne can’t play more then 50 now and their back-up didn’t play as well last year.    Think they are better with Duchene and Subban out simply because they need the offense so badly and Subban was buried down their depth chart anyways and struggled to stay healthy.   

And then there is what the experts predict and what actually happens.  It’s never the same, one or two teams surprise and I think we’ve got at least decent odds of being that team this year, and one or two teams disappoint.  Vegas  could be that team or maybe Calgary.  If Gio goes down so do they.  Not many guys win the Norris at his age, and he’s had a history of one healthy followed by one not so healthy season.   They won’t miss but they could slide.   I’m pretty sure we will get in, as high as second in our division.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Chicago is looking into the playoff...

:bigblush:

Stan Bowman did his best to improve the Chicago Blackhawks this offseason. Now, it is up to the players to go out and compete.

Bowman brought in players like Andrew Shaw and Ryan Carpenter, he signed Robin Lehner to improve the goalie tandem, and he traded for Calvin de Haan and Olli Maatta to drastically change the defense.

Bowman made a lot of moves this offseason, so he did his part to improve the Blackhawks.

289.jpg?mode=stretch&connatiximg=true&scale=both&height=343&width=610

Bringing in depth players, defensive defensemen that can play in the top-4, and adding a Vezina Trophy caliber goaltender is one heck of an offseason.

Even so, something else needs to happen for the Blackhawks to succeed. They need to learn how to play together again.

To start the 2018-19 season, the St. Louis Blues were one of the most improved teams and one that could compete for a cup. By January, they were dead last in the NHL.

We all know what happened in the months after January, but in the first half of last season, the Blues were a disappointment. The Blackhawks can not afford to have a soft start to their 2019-20 season.

CGY still the best team in the Pacific but not as good as last year

SJ squeeze in, they have too many good young players to fall out of the picture completely.

ARI will come second in Pacific.

VAN will be 3rd in the division, go on to lift the Stanley Cup

I think  that age catches up with Fleury and VGK narrowly misses the playoffs for the first time in franchise history. 

STL should be one of the top teams in the Central, so long as Binnington has another good year.

NSH too good to miss the playoffs.

COL will be one of the best improved teams and will have the best top line in the NHL.

WIN will take a step back and poor defence will cost them too many points.  They beat DAL for 4th place in Central.

DAL, VGK are competitive but come up short.

EDM, LA, ANA, MIN and CHI all competing for lottery draft pick. 

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I actually believe this Canucks team is built for the playoffs even moreso than being built for the regular season.

Over a 7 game series, the size of our forwards pummeling opposition defence shift after shift would surely wear down most teams in the league.

Add the fact that this team has tons of depth, speed, and skill makes this particular Canucks squad ready to go to war in the playoffs. 

That's the reason I REALLY hope everyone stays healthy enough to get to the big show. 

• Upvote 1

After 15 games, I have mentally elimated the following western teams from playoff:metal:::D::D

1  Edmonton

4  Anaheim

9  Arizona

11  Dallas                                                            
12  Chicago                                                            
13  Los Angeles                                                            
14  Minnesota

They are the west conference rank as of Nov 4th, 2019

Edited by tan