The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Trade) Lucic + Conditional 3rd to Calgary for Neal

Pears

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It also needs to be noted that team toughness is a mindset as much as anything. You don't need goons spread throughout your lineup to achieve this. Just a good mix of skilled and tough players that are willing and able to stand up for each other. I really believe we have that now, so we should be absolutely fine going forward.

Going in right direction.

10 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Does he? No rule you gotta fight.

just keep up the hard forechecking.

win the game and move on

Ya no chance..

Real life doesn't work that way. It might work in a philosophical debate but not in practical real life hockey game.

When was the last time a team went all year without fighting. Especially a heavy hitting team that throws it's weight around. 

These are men in their peak with feelings and adrenalin and ego and testosterone.  

You throw your weight around you get the bell. You might avoid a fight sometimes but can't every single time.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Don't make up things. This post is equivalent of #fakenews 

No one said they wanted a "goon" 

As a matter of fact he agreed with me that it has to be player who can take a regular 4th line shift. 

Why do you think JB just signed Ferland..  He's the present day enforcer type. Light heavyweight enforcer. Reaves would be a heavyweight enforcer  as was Guddy. Guys who can take a regular shift but enforce the law when needed.

Quit making things up and attributing it to ppl. 

I'm not making things up, the poster I quoted literally said we need a legitimate enforcer. 

To me that implies the enforcers of old, who are what most refer to as goons. 

My point about team toughness still stands, we don't need an "enforcer" or "goon" or whatever other adjective you want to call it.

5 minutes ago, Greenman Wannabe said:

I'm not making things up, the poster I quoted literally said we need a legitimate enforcer. 

To me that implies the enforcers of old, who are what most refer to as goons. 

My point about team toughness still stands, we don't need an "enforcer" or "goon" or whatever other adjective you want to call it.

What's a legitimate enforcer? Ryan Reaves? I bet JB would love to have him as would most Canucks fans. A guy who can play and fight. 

So you assumed what he meant. And made a post according to your assumptions.. called him an old fart which is gross language... anyways....

You should apply for a job at CNN lol. Jk

Ferland is an enforcer. That's why he was signed here. 

Edited by WHL rocks

More i think about it CGY didn't do too bad. Especially with 12.5 % salary retention. Lucic contract will be moveable in a year. lucic will make 9 mill over 3 yrs from flames starting next July 2nd. 6 mill per yr cap hit. Thats a moveable contract to a cap floor team like OTT

Neal salary is even thruout his contract. So if he doesn't improve that's a very tough contract to move or buy out. 

40 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

A clean hard heavy hit usually ends in a fight. It's been that way for a few years where a clean open ice hit immediately leads to a fight. 

I don't agree with it bit it's like that. Soon as a player lands a clean heavy hit he has to answer the bell right away. 

Yeah, I've noticed that.  But...the flakey fight doesn't usually measure up to the heavy hit.B)

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

More i think about it CGY didn't do too bad. Especially with 12.5 % salary retention. Lucic contract will be moveable in a year. lucic will make 9 mill over 3 yrs from flames starting next July 2nd. 6 mill per yr cap hit. Thats a moveable contract to a cap floor team like OTT

Neal salary is even thruout his contract. So if he doesn't improve that's a very tough contract to move or buy out. 

The difference is Neal can actually play.  He may get 30 goals playing with McDavid.  Lucic on the other hand was obtained simply because little Johnny was sh**ing his pants over Ferland going after him so they had to acquire protection for him.  This is the only logical reason Calgary does this deal.  Reactionary deal.  Edmonton wins this hands down.

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

For sure. However a team needs players who won’t back down. The Canucks have Roussel, Ferland, Miller, and Benn. That’s better than last year by a country mile. 

Add MacEwen to the mix.  I think he makes the team this year.  When the big Russian comes in a year our team will be nasty...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

7 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

The only reason why Ottawa takes an anchor contract is if they need to get to the cap floor.  They are already at the floor.  No deal.

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The difference is Neal can actually play.  He may get 30 goals playing with McDavid.  Lucic on the other hand was obtained simply because little Johnny was sh**ing his pants over Ferland going after him so they had to acquire protection for him.  This is the only logical reason Calgary does this deal.  Reactionary deal.  Edmonton wins this hands down.

Ya Neal will put up 20+ atleats for 2 more yrs. He's a tough dirty player too. Not a softy by anyone's standards. 

CGY also saves around 10 mill in cold hard cash so that has to factor in.

I think Neal will play with RNH on 2nd line. 

It's be fun to see how it turns out. Make a it a bit more interesting watching Alberta teams next year. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Canucks just need to hit hard on the boards and hit hard on the forecheck. 

No need for fisticuff fighting any more that proves zero.  Dinosaur hockey.

Mashing the guy all night with huge hits every time they touch the puck is a better solution.

Intimation of just touching the puck, then beat them on the score board from their quick turnoffs and mistakes, cuz they’re scared of getting hit.

just skate around Lucic dont even let him get involved in anything. Make him just a pylon with a mouth that you laugh at.

Stop. It started out being part of the game, it will always be. Go watch soccer if you don't like fighting. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Edmonton is gaining by far. Neal's buyout if it comes to that is pretty good, drops to only 1.9 mil in salary (https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/james-neal#results). And no clauses to boot. 

Man Calgary management must really dislike Neal. 

Holland owes Treliving a solid for this.  It's a get out of jail free card.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This has zero to do with reactionary deal.  Flames got run over in the playoffs. Sam Bennett was there most physical force. This whole summer they talked about wanting to get bigger and stronger long, long before Ferland was signed.

johnny already goes up against big players night in and night out. Ferland is the least of there worries. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

This has zero to do with reactionary deal.  Flames got run over in the playoffs. Sam Bennett was there most physical force. This whole summer they talked about wanting to get bigger and stronger long, long before Ferland was signed.

johnny already goes up against big players night in and night out. Ferland is the least of there worries. 

Little Johnny was invisible in the playoffs.  That's why they were gone in 5 games.  Lucic can't play on a top line anymore.  Ferland can.  And so can Neal.  This deal is gonna push Calgary back not forward.  We will see.

• Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The only reason why Ottawa takes an anchor contract is if they need to get to the cap floor.  They are already at the floor.  No deal.

They'll happily take on deals that save Melnyk actual cash too.

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Ya Neal will put up 20+ atleats for 2 more yrs. He's a tough dirty player too. Not a softy by anyone's standards. 

CGY also saves around 10 mill in cold hard cash so that has to factor in.

I think Neal will play with RNH on 2nd line. 

It's be fun to see how it turns out. Make a it a bit more interesting watching Alberta teams next year. 

I think Edmonton actually has 2 legit lines now.  McDavid and Neal and RNH and Draisaitl.  If they can ever get Pool Party to play up to his potential they could be on to something.

Just now, RRypien37 said:

Stop. It started out being part of the game, it will always be. Go watch soccer if you don't like fighting. 

I love too watch ufc, I never said I didn’t like fighting. And soccer is just plain boring.