The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

Just now, -AJ- said:

All this is true, but a healthy Baertschi adds 20-25 goals--definitely more than either Virtanen or Gaudette unless Gaudette really is that good now. 

the thing is tho he's never actually done that. His best year if he stayed healthy was a projected 20. He's never had a full year. 

He shows so much skill from time to time I can see why people are upset, but the actual opportunity cost here isn't quite as big as people are making it out to be. Based on his history we could expect 15 goals +/-3. How far off that will AG be? Or even Loui?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Nope, Roussel's a 3rd line player. You highly underrate him. That he can score, at a slightly diminished rate comparitively, under far harder, less ideal  conditions WHILE ALSO being 'gritty, physical, hard to play against gets under the opponents skin and penalty kills' is exactly why he'll have that spot instead.

No, since we need someone to replace Roussel's ability to PK, match up and be hard to play against, we kept those players around.

I'm not underrating him. He produces well for a guy in his role, and he's a good valuable player to have. But to rank him above Baertschi who produces on a 2nd line pace when healthy doesn't make any sense. I don't see why him and Baertschi are in competition, especially since he won't be back for another few months. Nope, it's just something the fans drummed up to justify a headscratcher of a move. 

And you're going to match up Schaller against the opponent's top lines? Good luck with that. Plenty of players who can PK including Motte/Schaller (whoever stays behind from the 2), Horvat, Beagle, Sutter, Miller, Pearson. That argument also doesn't hold any water.

We need players who can produce and create offense MUCH more than we need players to PK...

10 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Question.

How may teams need a 1st or 2nd LW and have enough cap to spend on Baertschi?

Must be a small list

Hmmm... looking into this site: https://puckpedia.com/teams 

I think Montreal, Ottawa, Detroit, LA, Anaheim, Columbus should be interested... doesn't matter about LW depth as most wingers are versatile. Hope he'll find a job somewhere tomorrow!

Just now, Vanuckles said:

But to rank him above Baertschi who produces on a 2nd line pace when healthy doesn't make any sense. 

*In far cushier usage.

You don't seem to think that matters. You're wrong.

And that doesn't even touch on Roussel's intangibles.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not sure moving on from Baer really changes our 3rd line into just another matchup line tho. A healthy Sutter did score 17 goals. AG looks like he could contribute, its hard to say how many but lets be optimistic and pencil him in for 10. Jake adds another 15 maybe with size and speed too. 

Jake will hit 20 - I'm calling it now 

• Cheers 2

Just now, aGENT said:

*In far cushier usage.

You don't seem to think that matters. You're wrong.

And that doesn't even touch on Roussel's intangibles.

Because Baertschi is a top 6 player. You don't seem to mind the far cushier usage for Boeser. Or Petey, or Quinn Hughes. He has cushier usage because they're different players serving different roles. Which is why it makes 0 sense to compare the 2 players aside from the fact that they play on the same team. You don't seem to think that matters. I have no idea who started that narrative that it was down between Roussel and Baertschi, but I know it wasn't someone from management. Somebody here mentioned it and people decided to run with it. There's 0 support for that argument. Also Roussel is on LTIR - you don't seem to think that matters.

Yet another time you're wrong but you refuse to admit it.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Because Baertschi is a top 6 player. You don't seem to mind the far cushier usage for Boeser. Or Petey, or Quinn Hughes. He has cushier usage because they're different players serving different roles. Which is why it makes 0 sense to compare the 2 players aside from the fact that they play on the same team. You don't seem to think that matters. I have no idea who started that narrative that it was down between Roussel and Baertschi, but I know it wasn't someone from management. Somebody here mentioned it and people decided to run with it. There's 0 support for that argument. Also Roussel is on LTIR - you don't seem to think that matters.

Yet another time you're wrong but you refuse to admit it.

I don't mind at all.

Bingo, it IS different roles. 

Precisely why, when there is no longer said cushy, top 6 role available - as those spots are taken by Ferland, Pettersson, Boeser, Pearson, Horvat and Miller - that he is no longer needed.

So why would you expect the team to square peg Baer in to the round hole that is Roussel's 3LW role?

He needed to beat out Ferland or Pearson for a top 6 spot. He did not. He's on waivers.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

can't entertain the rest when you start with 'opinion' that defies reality.

Sutter scored 17 goals his first season here

He scored 15 the next two seasons ( a total of 87 games) while getting 22.6 and 31.0% ozone starts.

If we start from a basis of fact, then move from there, the 'conversation' might make sense.

Wow. I read 20games and 5g as his stat line first year here.   He has a total of 36 goals and 74 points in 4 years. 

Guess we are used to alternative facts now. 

He did get 17 assists in his second year reaching his peak in points for us of 33. 

Now I know he has had very tough deployment would explain some of his sub 40 Corsi and Fenwick last two years.

That or maybe he just wasn’t as good as Benning initially thought and has gotten worse as he struggled with injuries. 

To me he sits in the group of players that Benning brought in to try to give the Sedin’s a last run.  A group of players that failed miserably if we are looking at actual results. A group of players that has for the most part been moved on from accept in cases like Loui who is basically impossible to trade and Sutter who has spent most of his time here on the IR.  

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the thing is tho he's never actually done that. His best year if he stayed healthy was a projected 20. He's never had a full year. 

He shows so much skill from time to time I can see why people are upset, but the actual opportunity cost here isn't quite as big as people are making it out to be. Based on his history we could expect 15 goals +/-3. How far off that will AG be? Or even Loui?

His last three years project to 22, 22, and 28 goals. He consistently scores at a 20+ goal rate. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't mind at all.

Bingo, it IS different roles. 

Precisely why, when there is no longer said cushy, top 6 role available as those spots are taken by Ferland, Pettersson, Boeser, Pearson, Horvat and Miller.

So why would you expect the team to square peg Baer in to the round hole that is Roussel's 3LW role?

He needed to beat out Ferland or Pearson for a top 6 spot. He did not. He's on waivers.

ROUSSEL IS INJURED. ROUSSEL CANNOT PLAY FOR THE NEXT MONTH AT LEAST.

I just thought I would capitalize that so you don't ignore this pesky little detail when you're still arguing.

Also, like I said, JB and TG went out of their way in the press conference at the start of the year to say that they look at it as top-9 as in 3 scoring lines. If you have a second line of Pearson - Horvat - Miller, that's certainly going to matchup against the opposition's top line. Beagle's line matches up against another scoring line, but we need some scoring of our own. Because we scored the least amount of goals over the past 4 years than any other team in the NHL not in Vegas. Baertschi helps create offense and produces at a very respectable rate.

Edited by Vanuckles

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Actually, word is he recently said "a few weeks", so this move actually takes care of clearing cap/roster space as well.

Few weeks before he starts practicing? So over a month before he can play in a game. What's your over/under on the number of injuries we will have by the time Roussel gets back?

Just now, Vanuckles said:

ROUSSEL IS INJURED. ROUSSEL CANNOT PLAY FOR THE NEXT FEW MONTHS.

I just thought I would capitalize that so you don't ignore this pesky little detail when you're still arguing.

Also, like I said, JB and TG went out of their way in the press conference at the start of the year to say that they look at it as top-9 as in 3 scoring lines. If you have a second line of Pearson - Horvat - Miller, that's certainly going to matchup against the opposition's top line. Beagle's line matches up against another scoring line, but we need some scoring of our own. Because we scored the least amount of goals over the past 4 years than any other team in the NHL not in Vegas. Baertschi helps create offense and produces at a very respectable rate.

BAER NEEDED TO BEAT FERLAND OR PEARSON FOR A SPOT.

WHILE ROUSSEL'S OUT WE NEED TO FILL IN WITH A BOTTOM 6 FORWARD, NOT A GUY WHO NEEDS CUSHY TOP 6 USAGE AS THOSE MINUTES WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO HIM.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Wow. I read 20games and 5g as his stat line first year here.

Whatever.  He scored 5 goals in 20 games - have it your way -  that's a 21 goal season projected over 82 games - better than the 16/82 he's averaged throughout his career as a shutdown center (17 in his first/only full season here).  Wadr, that is damn good production from that role.  "Wow".  

If you're wanting to change the subject from 'he's a black hole of offense' to he's been injured, try that - there may actually be some reality to back the sidetrack.

Edited by oldnews