The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Bo and Gaudette will hopefully get limited PK time. Gaudette was trialed in preseason, but he needs more time. The team likely wants Bo to focus on the offense and maybe some shutdown duties 5v5 being a scoring threat while playing against top players (see Bergeron). Jake hasn't seen any PK time yet, so would be a surprise if he's suddenly a regular. So that leaves Miller, Loui and Motte. Looks like between Loui, Motte and Schaller, someone is sitting out on any given night, therefore one less player in the lineup to draw from that group. Miller is similar to Bo in that I'm sure they prefer that he's more focused on the offense unless needed. It really makes Schaller one of the top go-to PK guys on the team at this moment.

Pearson has killed penalties his whole career and we're essentially adding Sutter since he basically didn't play last season. We have lots of guys that can kill penalties. We are the worst scoring team over the last 4 years and bottom 5 last year was a high water mark. We can't be throwing away scoring. There is no rational defense of that fact. Our PK was top 10 last year without Sutter and without our best defensemen for long stretches. PK will be fine with Schaller and it will be fine when Schaller eventually gets waived.

What happens if Boeser gets injured again? We have zero top 6 wing depth now.

• Upvote 1

Just now, FlyLow_ said:

Pearson has killed penalties his whole career and we're essentially adding Sutter since he basically didn't play last season. We have lots of guys that can kill penalties. We are the worst scoring team over the last 4 years and bottom 5 last year was a high water mark. We can't be throwing away scoring. There is no rational defense of that fact. Our PK was top 10 last year without Sutter and without our best defensemen for long stretches. PK will be fine with Schaller and it will be fine when Schaller eventually gets waived.

What happens if Boeser gets injured again? We have zero top 6 wing depth now.

Baertschi hasn't been claimed has he? If he clears, he's still depth. We may have Goldy. And Leivo got a bunch of looks in preseason and Virtanen could bump into the top 6 and those guys can be filled with MacEwen, Bailey, etc. No one is really going to be able to replace Boeser, not even Baertschi.

The PK may be fine with or without Schaller, but for the time being right now, Schaller is needed more for the PK than Baertschi who would be an extra at this point.

Gaudette is the guy that likely bumped out Baertschi. The reason for this is Gaudette demonstrated that he can put up the offense (and perhaps start on the wing to do so). Gaudette can play several roles as well, which made the more one dimensional Baertschi expendable. Having Baertschi in a 3rd/4th line role isn't going to suddenly boost the offense there because he simply won't get the ice time to generate. Don't get me wrong, I like Baertschi and have defended him (especially through the years of that 2nd round pick we gave up), but I can see why the team went in this direction.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If you are going to carry 2 spare forwards, wouldnt it make sense to have one that could fill a top 6 role and one that can fill a bottom six role. 

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Leivo, Gaudette, Roussel, Virtanen. All are capable to fill in for top 6 injuries AND can play a bottom 6 role.

Hell, maybe even throw Eriksdone on that pile.

No role, no job.

And I'm not convinced we'll be carrying two forwards all year.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Leivo, Gaudette, Roussel, Virtanen. All are capable to fill in for top 6 injuries AND can play a bottom 6 role.

Hell, maybe even throw Eriksdone on that pile.

No role, no job.

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson/Baertschi - Horvat - Miller

Pearson/Baertschi - Sutter - Gaudette

Leivo - Beagle - Virtanen

Motte/Eriksson

Role, job.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If you are going to carry 2 spare forwards, wouldnt it make sense to have one that could fill a top 6 role and one that can fill a bottom six role. 

As it stands, Gaudette and Eriksson are our extras. Gaudette could step into the top 6 (sheltered with more offensive starts) while LE can handle a bottom 6 role (PK and defensively responsible). Or flip them around, LE has been a top 6 player at one time and could be thrown in if needed and Gaudette has the physicality to fill in a bottom 6 role.

Baertschi isn't really a bottom 6 guy, but is a decent option in the top 6. Unfortunately he got pushed out because Gaudette showed well in camp offensively.

1 minute ago, Vanuckles said:

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson/Baertschi - Horvat - Miller

Pearson/Baertschi - Sutter - Gaudette

Leivo - Beagle - Virtanen

Motte/Eriksson

Role, job.

Sorry, not going to chase your tail on that one again. We've already covered that he lost his spot to Pearson and he doesn't fill the same role as Roussel. No role, no job.

Have you actually got something new?

• Like 1

Can anyone explain the nuts and bolts of claiming a player off waivers?

I know it is in reverse order of where teams finished.

But what about today, for example?

If there are say 60 players on waivers today, how long does the first choice team have to commit?

How do they fit all the changes into the 24 hour pick-up period?

(Thanks in advance: I had a bit of a Googlie with it but did not get far).

8 minutes ago, brownky said:

The problem with rate vs reality is probably what the brass struggled with. He's never managed in 4 "playing" years to get there. He's averaged 54 games a season in that span with the numbers decreasing sharply in the last two.

I really like him as a player, he does all the right things... except play those last 30 games a season. You're absolutely right, when he's on, he's on... but if he's turning 27 this year and not likely to get a whole lot better... the injuries will take their toll, assuming he doesn't get totally head-wrecked if he gets his bell rung again.

That said, I hope he gets picked up and is able to continue his career, otherwise be the best depth call up we've ever had. But after raging hard about it this morning when I first heard, I get why they did it. I don't get why Loui (with what he showed) wasn't on that list before him though. It would even make sense if it was both of them... but c'est la vie.

they tried to trade louie with no takers. i’m assuming that FA said no way to paying louie to play in utica. these guys are paid to make tough decisions. well they did. 

23 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I don't think much will have changed. I'd say Schaller, but they could've done that now, so I'm not sure what would change in 20 or 30 games from now outside of injuries. Maybe Sven scores a point a game in Utica and Schaller has two points in 30 games. Is that enough to change things? I'm not sure anyone, because their priorities are evidently different than I thought. 

I did see one analysis showing the combo of Beagle and Schaller really drove possession... maybe Baer has been sacrificed on the alter of internal fancy stats? 

• Cheers 1

I dont think baertschi is healthy, or ever will be. I said last year that bringing him back for meaningless games was a big mistake for him and the canucks. 

I think benning is trying to give sven a chance to continue his career in the nhl, and if no team takes him on waivers, realize that maybe he should focus on his family instead of riding shotgun on the short bus. 

There is more to this than “top six bottom nine pk” crap. 

You cant tell an athlete when hes done, even when its obvious. They need to figure it out for themselves and  I would rather not be the team that ices cheese bear for that inevitable hit that ruins his life. 

What a F'in JOKE!

What has this team struggled to do for years...score goals and create offense. What does our IDIOT GM do...waive a solid top 9 offensive minded playmaking F in Sven who happens to have good chemistry with Horvat. Sven also had a nice pre season playing with Gaudette, was looking forward to seeing that in the regular season...

What does this GM decide to do, keep older more useless offensive players in Schaller and Eriksson. Neither add grit, neither add more scoring and to say we kept them for better PK or defensive play is a joke and the wrong thing to do!

This team will NEVER be successful and win a CUP with GM JB in charge, mark my words!

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

What a F'in JOKE!

What has this team struggled to do for years...score goals and create offense. What does our IDIOT GM do...waive a solid top 9 offensive minded playmaking F in Sven who happens to have good chemistry with Horvat. Sven also had a nice pre season playing with Gaudette, was looking forward to seeing that in the regular season...

What does this GM decide to do, keep older more useless offensive players in Schaller and Eriksson. Neither add grit, neither add more scoring and to say we kept them for better PK or defensive play is a joke and the wrong thing to do!

This team will NEVER be successful and win a CUP with GM JB in charge, mark my words!

Eriksson's in the press box according to today's practice lines with Roussel still to return at some point. He's a sacrificial lamb barring further injuries/trades IMO. Not exactly a role I'd envision for Baer...

Schaller gives them another body to PK and better fits a bottom 6 role until Roussel gets back.

Ferland, Pearson and Miller acquisitions bumped him out of the top 6. He requires top 6 usage top produce, wouldn't get that in the bottom 6 and doesn't suit a bottom 6 role.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2