The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sportsnet 650 cuts staff - Rick Dhaliwal, Jawn Jang & two production-side staffers

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I don't listen to 650 much, but Dhaliwal's Twitter was my FIRST destination every morning and a few times during the day. He's been in Vancouver sports radio for a very long time. I am hopeful he'll get scooped up by TSN so he can maintain his audience. And I don't know about the rest of you out there, but with every passing game, I miss Jason Botchford more and more. Yeah, I know he was a polarizing figure, but nobody has filled his role this season and I find I have nothing to read that interests me after Canucks' games. The Provies are dead, long live the Provies. And no, Drance is not a Botchford replacement. And somebody mentioned Pratt; how can you listen to a guy who takes the Patcast, adds 2 letters and calls it the Prattcast? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I don't listen to 650 much, but Dhaliwal's Twitter was my FIRST destination every morning and a few times during the day. He's been in Vancouver sports radio for a very long time. I am hopeful he'll get scooped up by TSN so he can maintain his audience. And I don't know about the rest of you out there, but with every passing game, I miss Jason Botchford more and more. Yeah, I know he was a polarizing figure, but nobody has filled his role this season and I find I have nothing to read that interests me after Canucks' games. The Provies are dead, long live the Provies. And no, Drance is not a Botchford replacement. And somebody mentioned Pratt; how can you listen to a guy who takes the Patcast, adds 2 letters and calls it the Prattcast? 

for me personally i love what Drance brings.  Grerat insight without the fire and brimstone of Botchford.  Was about to cancel my athletic subscription too!

7 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Only really heard the morning show, but of the others I heard Jang once and he seemed to be one of the more level-headed ones.  At least for those few minutes.

Hopefully they're not rejigging with more airdropped hate-the-Canucks-just-in-it-for-the-money Walker types.

31 minutes ago, Western Red said:

Soo.. Walker is retained? 

Sucks about Rick, he was hilarious on air. I liked his style.

Don't mind Walker at all. Don't get me wrong, he needs a level headed Rintoul as his foil but he's fine.

Never felt like he 'hated' the Canucks either. If anything, he has a strong dislike (as do I) for the panicky, reactionary, inflammatory and context lacking whiners in the media and fan base. It's one of his better characteristics IMO.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Love Rick....but this ^^^

He also got far too caught up 'being media' instead of what got him where he was, simply reporting facts. He started to add spin, opinion and generally becoming tabloid grade (albeit well connected/informed) media.

He totally milked the Boeser contract situation. Something he would never have done if he didn't need to think about daily ratings. He acted like he had no clue about how negotiations work. Negotiations aren't like building a bridge, where you see a little bit of progress each day and then can judge how long it takes to get to the end. In negotiations, nothing happens for a month and then everything happens in a day. I'm sure he is aware of this, but pretended to be ignorant to play up the story. Stay in your lane Rick, you were the best at what you did when you were with News 1130 or whatever it was. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Don't mind Walker at all. Don't get me wrong, he needs a level headed Rintoul as his foil but he's fine.

Never felt like he 'hated' the Canucks either. If anything, he has a strong dislike (as do I) for the panicky, reactionary, inflammatory and context lacking whiners in the media and fan base. It's one of his better characteristics IMO.

Walker has grown on me, I was just wondering about his placement. Sounds like he's staying at the 4pm slot and doing pregames.

12 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Only really heard the morning show, but of the others I heard Jang once and he seemed to be one of the more level-headed ones.  At least for those few minutes.

Hopefully they're not rejigging with more airdropped hate-the-Canucks-just-in-it-for-the-money Walker types.

Maybe it's just him being inflammatory on air, but I actually find Walker to be incredibly level headed regarding the Canucks on Twitter. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Western Red said:

Walker has grown on me, I was just wondering about his placement. Sounds like he's staying at the 4pm slot and doing pregames.

Yeah, and it sounds like Rintoul is moving to a 9AM show...that's not good for Walker IMO, he needs a Rintoul.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

My big dilemma now......what station to listen to in the mornings.   Maybe I’ll just sleep longer lol

TSN is even worse so...

I'm commuting so I have limited options if I want hockey news and sports guests...:wacko:

Shah is the one I would have canned.

Dhaliwal was pretty good when he first came on the scene - seemed to value the accuracy, consistency of his sources - also seems to have let his quality slip somewhat  - but still - I'd take him over Shah anyday, who strikes me as a canucksmarmy type. 

Not that I care much - as I listen to none of them (but would rather not see Shah in SN intermissions).

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 3

I was a regular listener to the sportsnet 650 radio program, and all four gentlemen where great ambassadors of the show and the program.

Sorta sad they let go of Jawn Jang the lone Chinese Canadian guy on the radio, call me stupid to loyalty, but when you have a program that represents culturally you, it definitely is a lure for people to listen into.  

• Cheers 2