The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Do you think Canucks need new coaching staff?

Rate this topic

Roberts

Canucks Coaching Staff Poll  

289 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You're missing an option on your poll. Keep Ian Clark ...

No way you let Ian Clark go. He's the goalie guru...

I'd keep Ian Clark and Manny Malhotra.. 

Fire Green and Baumer 

DeBoer will want to bring in his own assistant anyways let him decide on assistants. If he wants to keep Newell Brown let him if he wants both new assistants then he gets both. 

• Upvote 1

I'm sick of Green, we have a great first line and it looks completely anemic most games, how many teams have managed to turn it around with a coaching change and yet here we are still doing the same old s---. If we don't make the playoffs in the next two years I'm going to be off the Benning bandwagon as well.

• Upvote 1

I used to defend Green, but it’s getting harder for me to do that. The systems that are currently in place do not suit the offensive players on this team, and our defensive systems are even worse. No more collapsing and giving the opposition so much time and space. We get destroyed 5v5 playing such a passive defensive system. 

To me Benning has put together a good team on paper. I don’t think he is the problem (He won’t be on the hot seat unless we miss the playoffs next season imo). 

It is up to the coaching staff and ultimately the players to execute. I think they need a new (and more experienced) voice behind the bench, and to employ an offensive strategy based on puck possession to be successful. 

In my opinion, Benning should let Green, Brown, and Baumgardner go. Bring in an experienced head coach and let him pick his staff, but retain Manny and Ian Clark.

I think the players have lost all confidence in our systems. This team needs a shakeup in the worst way. We can still salvage this season if we act before it’s too late. As soon as the holiday roster freeze is over, pull the trigger Jim. Your team needs it. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I used to defend Green, but it’s getting harder for me to do that. The systems that are currently in place do not suit the offensive players on this team, and our defensive systems are even worse. No more collapsing and giving the opposition so much time and space. We get destroyed 5v5 playing such a passive defensive system. 

To me Benning has put together a good team on paper. I don’t think he is the problem (He won’t be on the hot seat unless we miss the playoffs next season imo). 

It is up to the coaching staff and ultimately the players to execute. I think they need a new (and more experienced) voice behind the bench, and to employ an offensive strategy based on puck possession to be successful. 

In my opinion, Benning should let Green, Brown, and Baumgardner go. Bring in an experienced head coach and let him pick his staff, but retain Manny and Ian Clark.

I think the players have lost all confidence in our systems. This team needs a shakeup in the worst way. We can still salvage this season if we act before it’s too late. As soon as the holiday roster freeze is over, pull the trigger Jim. Your team needs it. 

I couldn't agree more.

Unfortunately the club seems get itself into trouble being 'honorable'. My fear is they might hold onto Green and co too long and waste this season. If so then Benning will also be on the hot seat that much sooner.

I hope i'm proven wrong and they make the changes needed in a timely manner and salvage this season.

• Cheers 1

On 12/18/2019 at 1:39 PM, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Great points, to me it seems that Greens' future is ultimately, in the hands of the players.  His legacy will be based on the team accomplishments but if the players will battle for him I believe management will keep Green (Trotz as an example, did not have an winning record till his sixth year in Nashville).  Getting a new coach whether experienced or not does not guarantee much, in my opinion.   Green needs to realize, then be decisive when to make the neccessary changes once the league has made there adjustments to counter his strategy - the same goes for player; whether, it be in game adjustments or during the long season.  I really hope he doesn't squander this opportunity to evolve as a coach and hopefully, use this this rough stretch to help cement a real legacy as a Canuck coach (or not).  Currently,  Iam in a wait and see attitude right now, with Green cause this is the first year he was given a roster that is capable of competing and also, this is the first rough stretch this year, so far.   Up to his players now....

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 1:33 AM, Dats hockey said:

Pros and Cons of Green’s Coaching, Hmmmm what can the CDC come up with? Actually curious, can’t think of many Pros at this point but 

Cons

-Can’t get players to play the FULL game

-doesn’t match lines

-doesn’t coach well with leads

-Doesn’t have a good offensive scheme

-Seems to always have the lines in a blender

Bet you can find some pros now.  If not, allow me to help out:

Player's coach

No mind games

Good with Media

Not afraid of a Run n Gun style offense

Rewards the hard workers 

Been great developing Prospects(Petey, Jake, QH and Boeser)

Now let's go over your cons:

I disagree with this and would also argue that even if this was correct that's not on the coach.

-doesn’t match lines

Disagree, Horvat and Beagle's line routinely match the oppositions top lines

Doesn't coach well?  'We got the lead boys but I am all out of ideas on how to win' Again I'd say that's on the players.

Second highest scoring team in the West with games in hand

If something is not working, fix it.

If we're going to call out coaching when we're struggling it's only fair to praise them when we're rolling.

Edited by Tre Mac

5 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Bet you can find some pros now.  If not, allow me to help out:

Player's coach

No mind games

Good with Media

Not afraid of a Run n Gun style offense

Rewards the hard workers 

Been great developing Prospects(Petey, Jake, QH and Boeser)

Now let's go over your cons:

I disagree with this and would also argue that even if this was correct that's not on the coach.

-doesn’t match lines

Disagree, Horvat and Beagle's line routinely match the oppositions top lines

Doesn't coach well?  'We got the lead boys but I am all out of ideas on how to win' Again I'd say that's on the players.

Second highest scoring team in the West with games in hand

If something is not working, fix it.

If we're going to call out coaching when we're struggling it's only fair to praise them when we're rolling.

But at the time my point was valid, not saying he hasn’t stepped it up. I was super surprised yesterday that he called his timeout when we where doing bad. Growth that’s a good sign

7 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

But at the time my point was valid, not saying he hasn’t stepped it up. I was super surprised yesterday that he called his timeout when we where doing bad. Growth that’s a good sign

He’s had more then a couple good timeouts now. You shouldn’t be surprised nor should you live in the past. 

• Wat 1

On 12/18/2019 at 1:39 PM, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

This aged well...