The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The rising NHL powerhouse that Jim Benning constructed

Rate this topic

aGENT

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I've got a fair amount of faith in Rathbone to pan out for what that's worth. Kid has 'it' IMO. (Along with Juolevi, if he can get/stay healthy), that's a solid chunk of 'top 4'. Add them to Hughes, Myers a likely returning Tryamkin and sprinkle in some Woo, Rafferty, Brisebois, Utunen etc and in think we've got enough pieces to pull something together. Even more so if supplemented by trade/a UFA.

Hoglander is certainly trending well. Perhaps even as well as Pokolzin (who I'm also a fan of).  Between those two, Gaudette, Madden, Virtanen and Lind (the latter I will agree are likely more 'middle 6'), we have plenty of bodies to fill out our top 6 past Pettersson, Boeser, Miller and Horvat. I mean that's only 2 holes in the top 6... You don't think 2 of those 6 guys end up capable top 6 players (with the others likely ending up really good 3rd liners)?

A couple years ago guys like you were saying 'I don't see the future core here' too ;) Pettersson was a skinny 'maybe', there was no Hughes, Boeser was still in college etc.

Perhaps it's time to have a little faith ;)

I was one of a few here worrying that a scrawny EP would become an injury prone target. I am happy this hasn’t been the reality.

The same goes for QH, the tiny Dman, not being too scared to be effective. 

My faith is definitely improving. 

If healthy, this is a roster that could win in the playoffs, IMO. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I agree and they're finally getting to the point where they can shed some older players for picks etc, without decimating their lineup.

Totally agree with you guys, we are certainly close.

I honestly worry about what FA and JB think, in terms of how ready we are to enter the playoffs, and what we can honestly move without hurting the team

short term. I worry that they may be as interested in short term, as much as long term. 

For instance...………………...

Moving either Chris Tanev or Jacob Markstrom will weaken our team (short term), but long term may be better for our team, as there are salary considerations, 

as well as the Seattle Expansion draft considerations. As well, long term, (as people have said), who is moved out for the youngsters.

The other question that raises its ugly head constantly is the Luongo recapture penalty and the remaining Loui Eriksson cap costs. And how that impacts the over all roster.

You also have Tanev and Markstrom that will cost at their contract signings. Not to mention what Tryamkin will cost if he comes over......

How that all ties in together is,  how is our cap going forward with all the contract extensions coming up, and what is the cost of protecting an aging veteran...……….at the Seattle expansion.

It all sounds complicated in a good way...…..I know who I want, but not sure if I can afford what I want

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I honestly worry about what FA and JB think, in terms of how ready we are to enter the playoffs, and what we can honestly move without hurting the team

short term. I worry that they may be as interested in short term, as much as long term. 

For instance...………………...

Moving either Chris Tanev or Jacob Markstrom will weaken our team (short term), but long term may be better for our team, as there are salary considerations, 

as well as the Seattle Expansion draft considerations. As well, long term, (as people have said), who is moved out for the youngsters.

The other question that raises its ugly head constantly is the Luongo recapture penalty and the remaining Loui Eriksson cap costs. And how that impacts the over all roster.

You also have Tanev and Markstrom that will cost at their contract signings. Not to mention what Tryamkin will cost if he comes over......

How that all ties in together is,  how is our cap going forward with all the contract extensions coming up, and what is the cost of protecting an aging veteran...……….at the Seattle expansion.

It all sounds complicated in a good way...…..I know who I want, but not sure if I can afford what I want

They should be thinking short term as much as long term.  The window with large RFA contracts is very short and making the playoffs asap should be the goal.  It's usually a 3-4 year process to go from getting in to actually being a legit contender for the Cup.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

They should be thinking short term as much as long term.  The window with large RFA contracts is very short and making the playoffs asap should be the goal.  It's usually a 3-4 year process to go from getting in to actually being a legit contender for the Cup.  

Yes, I get that

Maybe I did not word it properly

I think what concerns me, 

is what players they may feel are priority 

signings...aka Tanev and Markstrom

and lesser's for that matter

But I am going to wait and see

No other choice …..LOL

I may have over stated my concern

Let's say Mildly concerned

On 12/2/2019 at 2:22 PM, Bertuzzi44ever said:

No ones calling Edmonton and Colorado dynasty’s? And Colorado still has makar Bryam Rantanen landeskog kadri a pretty decent supporting cast

Funny you should mention that.

I was listening to the talking heads discuss Colorado on the radio this morning and it struck me that Vancouver this year kind of reminds me of Colorado last year.

They were calling Colorado a one line team. Then they got Kadri. We got Miller and there's less talk of how our top two lines need a winger.

They got Makar. We got Hughes.

Also with Makar, they got lucky by losing the lottery - like we did with Petterson.

And the radio guy was saying they have some high draft pick defenseman they were expecting to lose to injuries but he's coming back. Hello Olli Juolevi.

They were expected to be weak on defense. They surprised.  Same with us this year.

It's like we're on the same path but a year behind.

Edited by John_Guest
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

Funny you should mention that.

I was listening to the talking heads discuss Colorado on the radio this morning and it struck me that Vancouver this year kind of reminds me of Colorado last year.

They were calling Colorado a one line team. Then they got Kadri. We got Miller and there's less talk of how our top two lines need a winger.

They got Makar. We got Hughes.

They were expected to be weak on defense. They surprised.  Same with us this year.

It's like we're on the same path.

I like your optimism! Now we just need our version of a big mean russian d-man to destroy the opposition. Big T, please come back west :)

Zadorov absolutely steamrolled kotkaniemi last night. It almost looked fake the way he flipped over onto the ice in an instant. Clean hit, but man that sort of player in the playoffs is really going to help Colorado and make the other team's forwards hesitate going into the corners.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

I like your optimism! Now we just need our version of a big mean russian d-man to destroy the opposition. Big T, please come back west :)

Zadorov absolutely steamrolled kotkaniemi last night. It almost looked fake the way he flipped over onto the ice in an instant. Clean hit, but man that sort of player in the playoffs is really going to help Colorado and make the other team's forwards hesitate going into the corners.

Zadorov is a monster. I like the COL comparison as well, and maybe Tryamkin would be our Zadorov? COL did trade a mobile Dman (Barrie), so maybe the Canucks will do the same? (Stecher) Mind you, Stecher certainly doesn't put up the numbers Barrie does, but he's a puck mover who likes to juimp up in the play.

Edited by NUCKER67

On 12/2/2019 at 2:04 PM, Tortorella's Rant said:

Injury prone 21 year old. It's even more painful considering who came right after them. Either the scouting reports were way off on Juolevi or they took a prospect based on positional need which is hugely stupid. 

I know right?

Pettersson

Hughes

Podkolzin

Woo

Madden

Lind

Gadjovich

DiPietro

Hoglander...

I mean...

...and if you consider who came before Juolevi...

Boeser

Brisebois

Gaudette

Virtanen

Demko

Tryamkin...

...I mean...

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, KirkSave said:

Damn.

Kotkaniemi was just tossed.

Tryamkin is larger than Zadorov too. I truly hope he returns.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yes, I get that

Maybe I did not word it properly

I think what concerns me, 

is what players they may feel are priority 

signings...aka Tanev and Markstrom

and lesser's for that matter

But I am going to wait and see

No other choice …..LOL

I may have over stated my concern

Let's say Mildly concerned

well, I think Marky will be easier to trade and bring back a better return if he is signed for a decent term and cap hit.

8 minutes ago, spur1 said:

That Zadorov hit looks like a real cheap shot slew foot. 

It doesn't look like Zad's foot/leg even particularly contact him. That's all just a large mass vs small mass with the shoulder/chest are being the primary point of contact (and pivot point as JK loses his balance and feet).

Unfortunate and likely painful as it was, that's nothing like the dirty choke-slam EP40 got.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, spur1 said:

That Zadorov hit looks like a real cheap shot slew foot. 

9 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Reminds me of 40 in Florida.

I've watched it a couple of times and paused the video. I don't see Zadorov do anything questionable. That's just a case of a 6'5" 235 lb player hitting a 6'2" 185 lb player.

Sometimes 50 pounds and 3 inches makes a difference.

Now consider that Tryamkin is 6'8" 260 lb.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It doesn't look like Zad's foot/leg even particularly contact him. That's all just a large mass vs small mass with the shoulder/chest are being the primary point of contact (and pivot point as JK loses his balance and feet).

Unfortunate and likely painful as it was, that's nothing like the dirty choke-slam EP40 got.

Nothing like it...EP was almost lifted and drilled head first into the ice...nothing like it.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

For instance...………………...

On the positive side JB has shown they work the numbers well despite the fears of several posters...

The recapture + LE contract is a frustrating part, but he should be able to manoeuvre around it... 

29 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I've watched it a couple of times and paused the video. I don't see Zadorov do anything questionable. That's just a case of a 6'5" 235 lb player hitting a 6'2" 185 lb player.

Sometimes 50 pounds and 3 inches makes a difference.

Now consider that Tryamkin is 6'8" 260 lb.

260 lbs seems skinny haha

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

I've got a fair amount of faith in Rathbone to pan out for what that's worth. Kid has 'it' IMO. (Along with Juolevi, if he can get/stay healthy), that's a solid chunk of 'top 4'. Add them to Hughes, Myers a likely returning Tryamkin and sprinkle in some Woo, Rafferty, Brisebois, Utunen etc and in think we've got enough pieces to pull something together. Even more so if supplemented by trade/a UFA.

Hoglander is certainly trending well. Perhaps even as well as Pokolzin (who I'm also a fan of).  Between those two, Gaudette, Madden, Virtanen and Lind (the latter I will agree are likely more 'middle 6'), we have plenty of bodies to fill out our top 6 past Pettersson, Boeser, Miller and Horvat. I mean that's only 2 holes in the top 6... You don't think 2 of those 6 guys end up capable top 6 players (with the others likely ending up really good 3rd liners)?

A couple years ago guys like you were saying 'I don't see the future core here' too ;) Pettersson was a skinny 'maybe', there was no Hughes, Boeser was still in college etc.

Perhaps it's time to have a little faith ;)

Perhaps. I have am pretty open-minded to whether or not things pan out. Just considering all options. I don't consider myself like others who say 'I don't see a future core here' It's a closed-minded approach. I just try to see areas where we need bolstering and improvement to the current lineup compared to the prospects coming up. I've said before we have a lot of 'what ifs' which isn't a bad thing. I just want a couple more who are more 'sure fire' like Hughes and Pod are. We'd be in a lot better of a position for it.

Image result for nick fury you need to keep both eyes open

Time will eventually tell though. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1