The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Eriksson + (?) for Brown

aGENT

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

anyone not named Juolevi, Tryamkin, Rathbone, Lind, Woo, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Lockwood or DiPietro. Take 2 even. It has to be for a couple of our "B" prospects, thats really the only option. Maybe a 3rd. 

I'm with EP up there. I'd rather include Lockwood and keep Madden.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I'm with EP up there. I'd rather include Lockwood and keep Madden.

Madden is 155 pounds.  He might decide the best course for his development is to stay the full four years in college, and become physically more a man.  In that case he could decide to become a UFA and choose the best team for his future.  Yes Madden is the better prospect.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess one thought could also be trading Stecher and Loui for Brown. LA really needs NHL quality d and Stech certainly fits in on their top 4 right now.  

That's an interesting suggestion.... And one It'd certainly contemplate (assuming we're not planning on re-signing him).

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

So what's the happy medium? Who does it make sense for us to give up that would be enough for LAK to consider and make sense for us to give up?

I have no idea, but the original premise was "minimal cost", that's not happening.

I would have to assume something along the lines of 1st rounder or Podkolzin or Hoglander or Juolevi or Gaudette, would be the asking price.  Brown doesn't have negative value like Eriksson, there you need to consider the FMV of Brown and the negative value of Eriksson in the equation.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

I have no idea, but the original premise was "minimal cost", that's not happening.

I would have to assume something along the lines of 1st rounder or Podkolzin or Hoglander or Juolevi or Gaudette, would be the asking price.  Brown doesn't have negative value like Eriksson, there you need to consider the FMV of Brown and the negative value of Eriksson in the equation.

For a 35 yo player? Not gunna happen even if his last two seasons were a bit of a renaissance for him. You just aren't recovering a top end young asset. Think of like a Burrows return. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Firstly, minimal was both in quotes and is subjective. So you can't say it's "not happening" as though it's fact. ;)

Secondly, he may not have Eriksson's negative value but he doesn't exactly have overwhelmingly positive value either. He's a 35 year old player with declining production, a NTC and the better part of $13.5m in actual cash still owing. 

I'd suggest their values are not as far apart as you suggest. Do we need to add? Yes. Do we need to add a top prospect as you suggest? I don't think so. They gain actual cash as well as (much needed) rebuild pieces. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I like it, in part because the buy out isn't too bad. He's also more productive than Loui, and can add in some physical play and bring some playoff experience. 

Brown has a 7 team no trade list so we may not be on that, so it could be out of his hands too. 

LA needs young assets of course.... my concern would be them demanding Woo, e.g., but if they were willing to look at a combo of something like Madden and Raffety or Briesbois, something along those lines then yup. 

That d group tho... what a train wreck. Maybe Breezy and Raffety and Loui for Brown? 

I'm gunna guess the 7 teams are Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa.

Although Brown isn't exactly on a good contract either, he's far more productive than LE.

I would think that Los Angeles would want something to sweeten this deal.

Overall, I think LE is here at least till summer. I'm hoping that @Alflives is right and there's an agreement in place that he will retire after his 3 million bonus payment next summer.

6 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

I'm gunna guess the 7 teams are Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa.

yeah good point.... I didn't make the connection. OK to heck with the ugly bugger, let him rot in LA if Canada isn't good enough for him. Too harsh? 

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Madden is 155 pounds.  He might decide the best course for his development is to stay the full four years in college, and become physically more a man.  In that case he could decide to become a UFA and choose the best team for his future.  Yes Madden is the better prospect.

Did you see his father play?  He was a stud.  Tyler is even better.  People gain weight.  I know aliens may have a hard time doing that, but it's a lot easier for someone from this planet to put on a few pounds...  :frantic:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You forgot to add Madden to that list...  ^_^

honestly if the cost was Madden it could be worth it, given how much teams have paid to shed players. Mind you they weren't bringing other big contracts back. 

We'd save only 1.5 mil in cap space buying out Brown vs Loui, but the cash flow aspect is slightly better with the Brown buyout, its 3.2, 3.2, 1.33, 1.33 vs. 5.67, 3.67, .667., .667 and we'd be banking on Brown being more useful. 

maybe I'm under valuing Madden, I think he's too skinny to translate into someone who will displace Gaudette, just don't see it. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Did you see his father play?  He was a stud.  Tyler is even better.  People gain weight.  I know aliens may have a hard time doing that, but it's a lot easier for someone from this planet to put on a few pounds...  :frantic:

I agree that Tyler Madden will be even better than his father, but I don't know if he will sign with us, or choose to complete his fourth year, and reach UFA status.  He's tiny, and will need extra time to put on the weight.  Why come out early, and play in Utica, when he could stay in college, and use that extra year or two there to put on the weight.  Plus, he reaches UFA status, and can choose where he believes his chances to play are the best.  

I totally agree Tyler Madden is going to be a very good NHL player, but I wonder if it will be with us.  Trading him now could be a preventative measure, and still using him while he has value to us.  

LA is rebuilding.  Setting the right culture and having the right veterans to help develop their young players is also important for success.  Brown was their C for a while and is still their 2nd most used F, behind Kopitar, with some 19 minutes a night.

What's the cost to go from someone that seems to be trusted by McLellan to someone that barely plays.  

26 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe I'm under valuing Madden, I think he's too skinny to translate into someone who will displace Gaudette, just don't see it. 

You are IMO.

You know who else was 'too skinny to translate'? 

I'll give you a hint, we'll likely be paying him $10m+ in a couple years.

• Upvote 1