The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Around the NHL | January (12-18) 2020

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, mll said:

Friedman and LeBrun report that the Sharks have given up on their season.  Both say that SJS is not going to sell off their core.  Friedman says they've made it known that they see it as the same situation as back in 2014/15 where they've missed the playoffs and then went to the finals the following season.   

Their core is not available but pending UFAs like Brenden Dillon, Melker Karlsson are.  

That team is screwed. 20 million tied up in two right side D, no goalie, no first this year, aged core, they will suck for awhile. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, rekker said:

That team is screwed. 20 million tied up in two right side D, no goalie, no first this year, aged core, they will suck for awhile. 

I wonder if they'd be willing to part with Karlsson. Moving him would go a long way to kickstarting their rebuild. There's a team out there who'd make space for him. 

It sounds like they expect to compete next season though. 

Edited by Coconuts

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I wonder if they'd be willing to part with Karlsson. Moving him would go a long way to kickstarting their rebuild. There's a team out there who'd make space for him. 

Maybe if they bomb again next season. Zero chance they move Karlsson now. 

6 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

I'm becoming a bit of a Draisaitl fan, shame he plays for the Oilers.

I like Draisaitl even if he plays for the Oilers. He plays hard, he utilizes his bodies, he doesn’t flop around the ice like Nurse. He plays the right way.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, mll said:

Friedman and LeBrun report that the Sharks have given up on their season.  Both say that SJS is not going to sell off their core.  Friedman says they've made it known that they see it as the same situation as back in 2014/15 where they've missed the playoffs and then went to the finals the following season.   

Their core is not available but pending UFAs like Brenden Dillon, Melker Karlsson are.  

Awwwwww.  Just love it!

Sure be nice to see Dillon move out East

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

With that contract and EK's defensive woes they would have to eat salary I would think. Or take back a bad contract. Man am I glad JB didn't try, or wasn't successful in trying to lure EK to Vancity. That may well end up being one of the worst contracts on the NHL soon enough. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

With that contract and EK's defensive woes they would have to eat salary I would think. Or take back a bad contract. Man am I glad JB didn't try, or wasn't successful in trying to lure EK to Vancity. That may well end up being one of the worst contracts on the NHL soon enough. 

Karlsson has 34 points in 46 games, he's not the problem in San Jose. 

18 hours ago, mll said:

Image result for eugene melnyk happy

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Karlsson has 34 points in 46 games, he's not the problem in San Jose. 

That's a lightning rod opinion. He is brutal defensively and fading in my opinion. By himself maybe not so bad but coupled with Burns the two contracts just don't make sense. Will see how the next few years pan out.  

18 minutes ago, rekker said:

That's a lightning rod opinion. He is brutal defensively and fading in my opinion. By himself maybe not so bad but coupled with Burns the two contracts just don't make sense. Will see how the next few years pan out.  

He isn't brutal defensively either. San Jose has brutal goaltending. And they lack depth, neither of which is on EK. Burns was a Norris finalist just last season. EK and Burns have been Norris finalists/winners the last 5 seasons... 

Edited by canuck73_3

39 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He isn't brutal defensively either. San Jose has brutal goaltending. And they lack depth, neither of which is on EK. Burns was a Norris finalist just last season. EK and Burns have been Norris finalists/winners the last 5 seasons... 

And fading. Burns is 34 and EK looks like he's 38 in his own end. For a team that is looking like it needs a rebuild that doesn't bode well. I just can't agree with your opinion on EK. I say lets revisit in two years and see where we are at.