The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wet'suwet'en Protests and Blockades in BC

DonLever

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

It’s not at all about Indians King.  Indians want the projects to go.  

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

No King.  Indians want the projects.  These are professional protesters, who care nothing for the Indian people.  Take away police presence, and these people will run.  

Hey Alf, do us a favor please and lose the "Indian". It's like you're calling black people "colored", or "negros"....

First Nations, Indigenous, even Native are all acceptable terms. "Indians" is not.

Sorry to be so "PC", but it's an offensive word to many First Nations people and it shows a lack of respect.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Sorry to be so "PC", but it's an offensive word to many First Nations people and it shows a lack of respect.

I moved here in '82.

First kid I became friends was First Nations. It was one of our early convo's when he stopped me from talking after I referred to him as Indian. He stared coldly at me and said 'I am not from India'. I never forgot that simple correction.

I recently made contact with him as we lost touch after middle school. He's one of those people, even after all this time, if i got the call that he needed help I would be there in a heart beat. I had a hard time immigrating, he made me welcome and even stuck up for me when kids made fun of my limey accent, he was the toughest kid around.

It's nice to think about him. Son of a chief. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Wrong.

this dispute is about a few hereditary chieftains with little power and a mob of protestors blocking what has already been an approved and signed off on agreement and contract between the bands in the area, the government and the company building it.

It's amazing how that fact keeps escaping you

Here is a fact for you since you don't actually do any research about the real issues...  Did you end up using the gas receipt is sent you....?

A meeting between Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs and the federal and British Columbia government is expected to take place today.

Nationwide rail and road blockades have been popping up for weeks as a show of support for the hereditary chiefs of the First Nation in northwestern B.C., who oppose a natural gas pipeline project cutting across their traditional territory.

Chief Na’Moks, who is also known as John Ridsdale, says the meeting scheduled to start this afternoon and continue Friday.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/wetsuweten-hereditary-chiefs-to-meet-today-with-federal-and-b-c-governments

11 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

So are you a stalker or not ? Quit beating around the bushes.. ?   

People can be against expanding the LNG / Fracking....  and dirty bitumen industry and still use resources....  It is about reducing our carbon footprint... not eliminating it.

You crack me up with your simplistic view on the situation.   Protestors are all bad. First nations people should be happy just to have few bucks and a few KM of pipe laid in their territories...  This dispute is about CDN and BC government disrespecting our first nations yet once again.  All in an attempt to ram a pipeline through with a reduced settlement at the same time.....

Does your home have natural gas ? You know your phone/laptop you use, the plastics you use all use bitumen. Some people man. 

26 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Wrong.

this dispute is about a few hereditary chieftains with little power and a mob of protestors blocking what has already been an approved and signed off on agreement and contract between the bands in the area, the government and the company building it.

It's amazing how that fact keeps escaping you

What escapes me is where were the hereditary chiefs when the elected chiefs were signing the deals? It's not like the elected chiefs secretly signed these deals. I guess they could have but shame on them for doing so.

Just now, RonMexico said:

What escapes me is where were the hereditary chiefs when the elected chiefs were signing the deals? It's not like the elected chiefs secretly signed these deals. I guess they could have but shame on them for doing so.

That I'm not sure.  By statements they did in fact argue against the proposed route and did offer an alternative.  But were voted down within their own band by councils and band members.

Now this has happened and here we are.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

That literally does nothing for your argument or supports anything.  You just randomly post whatever it is you're hung up on and claim it's supportive

The bands along the route overwhelmingly support it.  Title holders support it.  Government, band, land users and the company have all signed off on it.  Contracts in agreement have been made.

A few titled chiefs with little power on the route and a mob of illiterate, unemployed, privileged and uneducated whiners in the coast who refuse to respect that are the issue.

These are facts you cannot refute and the link and quote do not refute either

Don't give me the"gas receipt" crap.  I owe you nothing trust fund kid.  You've by your own statement never had to work or worry about a dollar and the day I allow some nonnative unemployed coastal whiner speak for myself, other first Nations members or the employed is the day I wear a Leafs jersey with a smile.

You're the epitome of the problemed type everything people claim exists.  Uneducated, priveleged without knowledge of the area, people or economic benefits.  Let alone the work involved but you "know better"

Pathetic

most protesters don’t have a job. They provide little, or if anything useful to society. They are the ones that just want to bitch about something. They care so strongly about the environment yet will burn a pile of &^@#ing tires on the rail tracks. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The bands along the route overwhelmingly support it.  Title holders support it.  Government, band, land users and the company have all signed off on it.  Contracts in agreement have been made.

A few titled chiefs with little power on the route and a mob of illiterate, unemployed, privileged and uneducated whiners in the coast who refuse to respect that are the issue.

this is the kind of thing I see disintegrating the "left" these days, it used to have a little more sense. This is clearly a project that has wide support. But because it can be used for the moment in an eco-fight, well heck, lets all chant de-colonialism and set some tracks on fire. 

I don't think we're getting anything close to the full story of whats going on behind the scenes, i just hope they come to some sort of agreement before someone gets killed on the tracks. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NeilColville said:

most protesters don’t have a job. They provide little, or if anything useful to society. They are the ones that just want to bitch about something. They care so strongly about the environment yet will burn a pile of &^@#ing tires on the rail tracks. 

I saw that... burning tires etc.

Direct heat warps and damages rail ties and lines.  Imagine a passenger train hitting that section of track  and derailing.  Or another Lac Megantic because they damaged those tracks.

Just now, Warhippy said:

I saw that... burning tires etc.

Direct heat warps and damages rail ties and lines.  Imagine a passenger train hitting that section of track  and derailing.  Or another Lac Megantic because they damaged those tracks.

This is why I hate the left. Few missing chromosomes in these people.

most protesters don’t have a job. They provide little, or if anything useful to society. They are the ones that just want to bitch about something.

Some of them aren’t even Canadians. 
https://globalnews.ca/news/6601384/who-are-the-wetsuweten-protesters/amp/

They care so strongly about the environment yet will burn a pile of &^@#ing tires on the rail tracks. 

and here’s the kicker. The costal gaslink is going to improve global carbon emissions and help China get off coal. This pipeline is a win/ win/win for the global environment, Canada, and First Nations and yet you got clueless people opposing this. It’s sad because these clueless people have no desire to becomes more informed on the matter. 

https://www.capp.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Enabling_Canada_s_Liquefied_Natural_Gas_Industry_Global_Emissions_Reduction_Benefit-333653.pdf

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

and here’s the kicker. The costal gaslink is going to improve global carbon emissions and help China get off coal. This pipeline is a win/ win/win for the global environment, Canada, and First Nations and yet you got clueless people opposing this. It’s sad because these clueless people have no desire to becomes more informed on the matter. 

https://www.capp.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Enabling_Canada_s_Liquefied_Natural_Gas_Industry_Global_Emissions_Reduction_Benefit-333653.pdf

Everything else between us aside.  I agree with the bolded.  I don't agree with fracking personally but you're not wrong

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, NeilColville said:

This is why I hate the left. Few missing chromosomes in these people.

I don’t know if you can label all left into that group.

I think you see a shift of both left and the right breaking off into more extremes, and while they aren’t the majority they are the most vocal and get the most attention. 

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Gentlemen.  This is not "the left". I'm centre left these days and I despise this.  I'm first Nations and I despise this.

This is far left radicalism.  It's no different than the Wexit crowd or the "alt right" 

I despise this crap on either side of the fence.  In this instance variables small group is overriding the wishes of the many against contracted and signed agreements via all associated parties.

I know full well the issues facing first Nations members in Canada.  I've lived on impoverished reserves.  A LOT needs to be done.  But it's projects like this that help lift those bands.

The alternative is people like Ernie Eanas in Penticton.  Search Appleton Waste files for bankruptcy, garbage pile for reference.

I'm also centre-left, but I look around and wonder where the heck my options went. Its not that the Liberals under JT are out there chanting or burning things, but I don't see how they aren't going to lose significant support to people that don't mind whats going on right now, all in the name of saving the planet. It doesn't take much of a shift on the left side to create a big gap for the CPC to walk up the middle to victory.

But thats just secondary to how bad i feel for the bands that might lose this project. Its just such a waste if people like King get their way on this. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

Mohawks blast Quebec premier for false, 'dangerous' claims that Kahnawake protesters are armed with AK-47s

MONTREAL -- Quebec Premier Francois Legault says the presence of dangerous assault rifles in Kahnawake is a reason for caution in enforcing an injunction to end a rail blockade in the Mohawk community.

Legault told reporters in Quebec City the government has information from what he called "good sources" that there are AK-47s in Kahnawake.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/protesters-at-kahnawake-blockade-armed-with-ak-47-assault-rifles-quebec-premier-says-1.4828838

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Gentlemen.  This is not "the left". I'm centre left these days and I despise this.  I'm first Nations and I despise this.

This is far left radicalism.  It's no different than the Wexit crowd or the "alt right" 

I despise this crap on either side of the fence.  In this instance variables small group is overriding the wishes of the many against contracted and signed agreements via all associated parties.

I know full well the issues facing first Nations members in Canada.  I've lived on impoverished reserves.  A LOT needs to be done.  But it's projects like this that help lift those bands.

The alternative is people like Ernie Eanas in Penticton.  Search Appleton Waste files for bankruptcy, garbage pile for reference.

Lol wut?