The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Isles looking for Defensive Forward

Provost

21 minutes ago, mll said:

Sounds more like they need a short term solution and you are anchoring them with 2 more years of Eriksson.  

You keep taking Ladd out of the equation.

3 more years of Ladd for 2 more years of Eriksson.

Ladd is tougher to get rid of than Erikkson.  The only reason we do that does is because I we badly need that additional cap space for the next two years.

The Islanders haven’t been willing to part with the futures it would take to get rid of Ladd’s contract.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Looks like the Habs are already laying the foundation (recent comments in the media) to ship Weber to Robidas Island. Isn’t that island getting full? 

I dunno - but Weber has had his knees rekt over the years - and he's still an absolute beast = not exactly a case I'd call a Robidas...he's a guy they'd actually want healthy.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I dunno - but Weber has had his knees rekt over the years - and he's still an absolute beast = not exactly a case I'd call a Robidas...he's a guy they'd actually want healthy.

Do they?  Weber gets them to the middle of the pack, and his contract makes him untradeable.  Habs need top five picks for several years in a row to rebuild their young core.  I see them (privately) happy to keep Weber off the ice for a long time.  I think it’s his feet that’s the issue now? 

Great player.  No doubt. 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do they?  Weber gets them to the middle of the pack, and his contract makes him untradeable.  Habs need top five picks for several years in a row to rebuild their young core.  I see them (privately) happy to keep Weber off the ice for a long time.  I think it’s his feet that’s the issue now? 

Great player.  No doubt. 

The Habs won't be playing that teardown game Alf.

Weber:

13 goals, 34 pts, +8

over 24 minutes/night

under 50% ozone starts

a shade under 200 combined hits/blocks

leads their team in penalty killing minutes

Doesn't belong in the Robidas conversation wadr

Save it for signs of decline.

And I highly disagree with the idea he'd be unmoveable - he'd make any contender better, period.

• Cheers 1

We will have to move someone if we want Ferland to join the team.

$215,834. That's how much cap space we have right now.

So I would say a team that's searching for depth, in this case NYI, is a likely trading partner.

NYI have $18,345,802 in cap space. This is an opportunity to move Sutter, Beagle, or Eriksson.

If we don't want to take a contract back, we need to sweeten the deal with a prospect, which we have a surplus of.

Makes sense to me.

Edited by Tystick
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Tystick said:

This is an opportunity to move Sutter, Beagle, or Eriksson.

It baffles me that so many people feel we need 'opportunity' to move Sutter or Beagle. And I doubt NYI would have any interest in Eriksson.

Schaller for cheap? Maybe. Roussel? Perhaps.

If we have a hope of moving Eriksson, we'd be adding and/or taking a bad contract back.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Ladd in the minors with 50% retained costs under $1.75 million to our cap vs. the $6 million we are paying Eriksson.

That is a win for both sides.  We get huge cap relief and the Isles get a defensive roster player for cheap (Eriksson effectively costs them $4.25 more in cap compared with their current state)

OK but Ladd has a NTC and is living a cushy life in Connecticut. Why would he ever agree to be moved to Utica?

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

It baffles me that so many people feel we need 'opportunity' to move Sutter or Beagle. And I doubt NYI would have any interest in Eriksson.

If we have a hope of moving Eriksson, we'd be adding and/or taking a bad contract back.

We need cap space.

They need a depth defensive forward.

Those are the options.

Just now, Tystick said:

We need cap space.

They need a depth defensive forward.

Those are the options.

No....Schaller/Roussel would be redundant to semi-redundant winger, defensive forward 'options'. Sutter and Beagle are integral, veteran C depth who can play hard minutes, PK, dzone start and WIN DRAWS.

Sutter and Beagle aren't 'cap dumps' we need 'opportunity' to move.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Team has been was better since Sutter came back. Beagle is a warrior. You win games with these guy in your lineup. Either people want to trade Sutter because of his injury history or they have no idea what they are talking about 

Edited by Devron44
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Team has been was better since Sutter came back. Beagle is a warrior. You win games with these guy in your lineup. Either people want to trade Sutter because of his injury history or they have no idea what they are talking about 

amy sedaris ah106 GIF by truTV’s At Home with Amy Sedaris

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

OK but Ladd has a NTC and is living a cushy life in Connecticut. Why would he ever agree to be moved to Utica?

Because he would probably get get a chance to play here initially in his hometown... until/if he proved he can’t play.  Ladd is probably an upgrade on Schaller.  He would certainly be on our extended playoff roster as injury depth.

The lure of getting a fresh start would be strong.

How is Utica worse than Bridgeport?  They are even close to each other.

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Yeah, I get he's been hurt a lot but the guy's a damn solid hockey player when he's healthy (which he appears to be now). I also have a feeling he'll be THRILLED to see playoffs again.

Yes, his contract isn't cheap but it's not like he's making Eriksson money and he's a HELL of a lot more useful at a FAR more valuable position that you don't simply toss away depth in.

There may be a time when we're ready to move on from Sutter but I'm in no hurry to gut our defensive C depth that would have us one injury away from running Horvat in to the ground and killing our offensive depth.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Not that I want Ladd, but to answer this question. Perhaps it's more of an opportunity to see if he can get back to the NHL. We brought Schenn back from the minors for a spell and earned him another contract. We have actually utilized LE. If Ladd can put in the work, maybe he can try to win a 4th line/extra forward spot. Maple Ridge guy, so he might put in the extra effort to stay in Vancouver or at least be a call up option. Utica is in New York, so not that shabby either and as Shorty said, he's heard Utica is nice this time of the year!

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Because he would probably get get a chance to play here initially in his hometown... until/if he proved he can’t play.  Ladd is probably an upgrade on Schaller.  He would certainly be on our extended playoff roster as injury depth.

The lure of getting a fresh start would be strong.

How is Utica worse than Bridgeport?  They are even close to each other.

if he had wanted to be a Canuck he could have signed here. Just dont see why he'd shake up his family life so that we could shed ourselves of Loui. I think this ones a non-starter. 

• Upvote 1