The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

19 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

You miss the point. I like other prospects we have but there are no more Elias Pettersson's or Quinn Hughes' in our pipeline. There are no more sure things. The point is the more chips you have, the more will work out. Especially when given to Judd Brackett.

Colorado hasn't had anything to do with rentals, paying a bunch of money in free agency or trading their picks/prospects. Look at their team and look at their prospect pool. 

Timing is everything when it comes to GM's. If JB can trade stecher, sutter and Benn, somehow address the defense, fix the bottom 6 and re-sign TyToff, Markstrom, Tanev, Gaudette, Virtanen, and Motte I'll be quite pleased. If he can't, what the hell does a first round exit matter when we won't make the playoffs next year?

Brackett is leaving.  I wonder if he sees the direction, doesn’t like it, so is following Linden’s lead and getting out?  

2 hours ago, FlyLow_ said:

Correct, the organization that cares more about 1 round of playoff revenue than winning a cup.

This year? Of course.. we're in no position so as long as our younger guys get a taste and see what it takes, that usually adds up to a lot more motivation, and in a 2-3 years when we're ready then that will pay off. Especially when both Luongo and LE will be off the books and not a problem anymore, and if the TV deal goes and we already have our top guys all locked in with enough support, then even better but we'll have better luck than Mike Gillis who tried the same thing but because the cap is already in place and no surprises this time... 

1 minute ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Podkolzin and Hoglander say Hi!

How many more prospects do you want?

I've been over this before

Draft picks are no sure thing.

Madden looks good in NCAA but things are a little different in the AHL/NHL.

Even if Madden puts on 20+lbs he is still 170lbs

is he Johnny Gaudreau 2.0.? How is Johnny Hockey doing these days? I hear he is struggling, overpaid and been shopped.

The odds of 2.3.4. Round picks turning into anything are slim to none. I agree we need more D prospects. But as you say Benning and Brackett are elite scouts. I have faith that the players selected with remaining picks will be fine.

Then you look at how good can Madden develop over the next few year's...

Better then Miller Pettersson Virtanen Boeser Horvat Pearson Gaudette Toffoli? Lind? Hoglander? Podkolzin? 

Madden won't bump any of those guys out anytime soon.

The only issue is if we can afford to re-sign Toffoli. If he walks in UFA this trade is a loss, if he helps us to the playoffs and further the loss would be less. He's here to fill the top 6 hole due to injuries( some players my not return, ever) ferland... leivo ufa or toffoli ufa? Ummm 

Hoglander and Podkolzin have done what? Look I like both of them, but they aren't sure things like Elias and Hughes. We'll see what happens when they turn pro. I like toffoli but yes this is a total fail if he walks or Markstrom or Tanev walks because there isn't money to sign them. The team will plummet and miss the playoffs handily without Tanev and Markstrom because this defense outside of the Tanev/Hughes pairing is utter f*cking TRASH.

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Brackett is leaving.  I wonder if he sees the direction, doesn’t like it, so is following Linden’s lead and getting out?  

I haven't heard that from a reliable source, I don't want to think about that until I heard it from someone credible.

1 hour ago, FlyLow_ said:

Hoglander and Podkolzin have done what? Look I like both of them, but they aren't sure things like Elias and Hughes. We'll see what happens when they turn pro. I like toffoli but yes this is a total fail if he walks or Markstrom or Tanev walks because there isn't money to sign them. The team will plummet and miss the playoffs handily without Tanev and Markstrom because this defense outside of the Tanev/Hughes pairing is utter f*cking TRASH.

Hoglander (who I’m not personally high on) snd Podkolzin are already playing pro.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I think he'll have offers to be AGM some where. He's sure to be in demand around the league. 

Hopefully JB can get him extended. It'll be a big loss if he leaves. I give him most of the credit for our recent draft success. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FlyLow_ said:

I haven't heard that from a reliable source, I don't want to think about that until I heard it from someone credible.

You will never hear the reasons why guys move on, like Linden snd Bracket.  You need to read between the lines and suppose.  From my supposition Trevor and Judd don’t agree with the owner’s belief the young core is complete and ready and picks and prospects should be used to bring in support players.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

You will never hear the reasons why guys move on, like Linden snd Bracket.  You need to read between the lines and suppose.  From my supposition Trevor and Judd don’t agree with the owner’s belief the young core is complete and ready and picks and prospects should be used to bring in support players.  

Nah. You don't think we should have given up Madden for Tofu so you think Judd feels the same way. 

IF Judd leaves it'll be because he gets a promotion to AGM some other place. Or a lot more money.

Not because we traded Madden to make playoffs and try to win a round or two. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Nah. You don't think we should have given up Madden for Tofu so you think Judd feels the same way. 

IF Judd leaves it'll be because he gets a promotion to AGM some other place. Or a lot more money.

Not because we traded Madden to make playoffs and try to win a round or two. 

Point is we will never really know, so it’s all supposition.  Linden’s recent interview during Sedin week adds fuel to the fire of conspiracy.  He complimented Bracket for building the current young core through the draft, but said nothing of JB.  Very interesting what Trevor didn’t say.  IMO both Trevor and Judd disagree with the owner’s direction and were let go.  JB chose to do the owner’s bidding, so he stays for now.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Hoglander (who I’m not personally high on) snd Podkolzin are already playing pro.  

Fair enough, when I say pro I mean AHL or NHL. I don't consider leagues with big ice so you can't get hit pro hockey, but that's a me thing. I do like both players but Hoglander has enough Anton Lander vibes for me to not get too excited. I am encouraged by his commitment to fitness and willingness to engage though.

Edited by FlyLow_

55 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Judd may want to be a pro scout his whole life, or he may want to be promoted to AGM, and I doubt wisebroad wants to give up his spot. Judd is an MVP for us, really before our madden trade, our cupboard was full. 

Eh D wise we could use some more promising guys but we went with forwards a long time and Juolevi's been hurt.

Maybe Luke Hughes can be that next guy 2021 has a lot of promising D!

13 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Eh D wise we could use some more promising guys but we went with forwards a long time and Juolevi's been hurt.

Maybe Luke Hughes can be that next guy 2021 has a lot of promising D!

isnt Luke suppose to be top 5?

5 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I think he'll have offers to be AGM some where. He's sure to be in demand around the league. 

Hopefully JB can get him extended. It'll be a big loss if he leaves. I give him most of the credit for our recent draft success. 

Despite JB making the final call? I mean yes he's our head of amateur scouting and our drafting has been good so one can put two and two together, but it's likely Brackett presents a few players and JB ultimately makes the final decision. I think Brackett has been a boon for college level prospects, but some credit goes towards Benning's major principle of drafting for character which is aligned with the respect culture that he's been building through the whole organization.

We won't know the full effect of Brackett until he leaves (to see if there is a difference in outlook), which I hope doesn't happen as he and Benning seem to work well together on the draft floor.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, stawns said:

how do you know TT is a rental?

My biggest concern is his wife. She just tweeted that "LA is home" and talks about her love for the Dodgers a lot (as she should since she works for them) and they have a dog named Dodger too. Hopefully there is a good network for the wives here and maybe she gets a gig with the Whitecaps or something so she can get comfortable calling Vancouver "home" if we are hoping he's more than a rental.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, theo5789 said:

My biggest concern is his wife. She just tweeted that "LA is home" and talks about her love for the Dodgers a lot (as she should since she works for them) and they have a dog named Dodger too. Hopefully there is a good network for the wives here and maybe she gets a gig with the Whitecaps or something so she can get comfortable calling Vancouver "home" if we are hoping he's more than a rental.

It's possible he signs back with LA in the summer, but honestly, if they wanted to keep him bad enough, they probably would have re-signed him by now. There has been players that get traded, then re-sign in the summer, but it's not common. I think LA is ready to move on from players / re-build. So, if not LA, it might as well be a city close to LA / a team your with?! Although, we have to make it work as well.  

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Well all three California teams are in rebuild mode and are jettisoning all their high priced vets.  The deck is stacked against TT returning to California even if his wife wants to.