The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

Watched Toffoli on After Hours.

Watery eyes throughout the interview

Heartbroken to leave L.A. 
Looks like his wife likes Van.

Concerning short or long term; see where it goes.

Boys have been excellent to him. 
Tanev and Edler are a b!tch to play against. Edler grinds you down on the boards and he’s a big boy, Tanev stops everything. Glad he’s on their side now.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Schaller played 6+ minutes tonight. Madden is injured. That 2nd we traded is likely bottom half of the 2nd round (we will see how far we can push it down with Toffoli's help and in turn the 1st we gave up as well).

Meanwhile, Toffoli has 4 points in 2 games thus far.

• Cheers 4

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

Craig Button, who is a pretty good hockey man and knows talent, almost laughed at JB’s assertion we were going to have at least 7 of our current prospects on our team over the next couple of years.  Maybe Linden and Bracket agree with Button, and believe we needed to continue to build more to end prospects through the draft before declaring the rebuild over?  

Maybe, Alf, but look at Hughes, who you and I, I think, were the biggest fanboys of from the get-go here on CDC - we both believed he had elite talent and would be this good, this fast. But the guy who first knew this when he got him was JB. He was champing at the bit to draft him and knew he stole the draft. Hughes changes the plan by speeding it up, along with Petey. The rebuild is over. It's time to compete for the next decade, and, honestly, I think our core with this coaching and culture that JB has put together has the best chance in the league to win multiple cups in the next five to ten years.

What's irking you the most, Alf? Your faith seems to be shaken up lately, how come?

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Maybe, Alf, but look at Hughes, who you and I, I think, were the biggest fanboys of from the get-go here on CDC - we both believed he had elite talent and would be this good, this fast. But the guy who first knew this when he got him was JB. He was champing at the bit to draft him and knew he stole the draft. Hughes changes the plan by speeding it up, along with Petey. The rebuild is over. It's time to compete for the next decade, and, honestly, I think our core with this coaching and culture that JB has put together has the best chance in the league to win multiple cups in the next five to ten years.

What's irking you the most, Alf? Your faith seems to be shaken up lately, how come?

Love Hughes and Petey.  We finally have a legit elite number one D man to go along with a number one centre.  I just think we needed a couple more young pieces here already before trading away picks and young pieces to bring in support players.  Plus, I’m not a fan of Green’s systems and passive philosophy.  Glad we won, of course, but still apprehensive about playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Love Hughes and Petey.  We finally have a legit elite number one D man to go along with a number one centre.  I just think we needed a couple more young pieces here already before trading away picks and young pieces to bring in support players.  Plus, I’m not a fan of Green’s systems and passive philosophy.  Glad we won, of course, but still apprehensive about playoffs. 

So you disagree with the reasoning around bringing in guys like Miller and Toffoli? That's a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Madden for those two guys (other pieces as well, of course). You would rather miss the playoffs again and be at the bottom with this Calder core for a few years?

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

So you disagree with the reasoning around bringing in guys like Miller and Toffoli? That's a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Madden for those two guys (other pieces as well, of course). You would rather miss the playoffs again and be at the bottom with this Calder core for a few years?

I’d rather we kept a window for winning open for 5-7 years of fully matured Hughes and Petey, than 1-3 years (now) of not fully matured Hughes and Petey.  Miller is a really good player.  Not denying he makes us a playoff contender.  However, in three seasons (when Hughes and Petey are fully mature and Miller is gone) will we have the young assets and picks available to bring in another Miller?  Is our window for winning now just these three Miller years?  

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think those pieces may be in place already Alf. Pods, Hogs, Rathbone and others looking good. I am however with you on the "enough already". I don't want to see anymore of the prospects and picks shipped out for the likes of Simmonds, Barries of the NHL.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

I’d rather we kept a window for winning open for 5-7 years of fully matured Hughes and Petey, than 1-3 years (now) of not fully matured Hughes and Petey.  Miller is a really good player.  Not denying he makes us a playoff contender.  However, in three seasons (when Hughes and Petey are fully mature and Miller is gone) will we have the young assets and picks available to bring in another Miller?  Is our window for winning now just these three Miller years?  

Maybe and maybe not, but that's far down the road to worry about what may or may not happen. All I know is Benning isn't afraid to make moves to help our team win, and he's getting better and better at it. Our team is full of assets that can be moved (rather than locked in with tonnes of NTC and NMC), and our cupboards are, in fact, pretty full as well. One draft year without a 1st and 2nd is not going to ruin our pipeline - it's one draft year. Plus, anticipation anxiety is simply an unnecessary burden to put on ourselves. We have aging assets that can be moved to restock some picks, and JB isn't afraid to do it. 

I guess the moral of the story for me is that Benning continues to force his critics to eat crow, so I say get on the right side of history and have faith in his plan and decisions. Will he win every one? No. Is his hitting average high, tho? Heck yes it is. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Podkolzin.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Showing these future stars the expectations of winning and hard work is absolutely the right thing to do.  Hughes and Petey will still be here in 5 years, perhaps with different players but they'll be better off for the development now.  That creates a better window later.

• Like 2

When you have players like Quinn and Petey. You manage your team accordingly. You have to have a fine balance of drafting, trading and free agents. You keep that contender window open for 10 years plus. Look at Pittsburgh and Washington. Have always been in it since they got their superstars (less Caps playoff struggles but the still have a cup!) They do not accept losing and go for it every year. That’s a winning culture and that’s what the Canucks should be doing going forward. You don’t put all your chips in but you have some in play at all times. It’s a revolving door in a cap world with support players 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Me_ said:

Watched Toffoli on After Hours.

Watery eyes throughout the interview

Heartbroken to leave L.A. 
Looks like his wife likes Van.

Concerning short or long term; see where it goes.

Boys have been excellent to him. 
Tanev and Edler are a b!tch to play against. Edler grinds you down on the boards and he’s a big boy, Tanev stops blocks everything. Glad he’s on their side now

I don't know about the underlined part. Clearly he would have rather remained a LA King.

Also

"The trade has been difficult " for him and his wife. "LA Kings wives and girl friends have been very supportive of wife".

As far as re signing with Camucks? "We'll see what the future holds."

Edited by WHL rocks

42 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I don't know about the underlined part. Clearly he would have rather remained a LA King.

Also

"The trade has been difficult " for him and his wife. "LA Kings wives and girl friends have been very supportive of wife".

As far as re signing with Camucks? "We'll see what the future holds."

Toffoli on After Hours

He talks about his wife at 10:00min of this clip. He’s not talking about the LA Kings wives. He’s talking about the Canucks wives.
Careful with that.

509BB87A-F707-4596-ADC1-74A70D63ECFF.jpeg

He’ll stay.

Also, I don’t follow the Camucks. Is that Camel hockey?

Edited by Me_

19 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Toffoli on After Hours

He talks about his wife at 10:00min of this clip. He’s not talking about the LA Kings wives. He’s talking about the Canucks wives.
Careful with that.

509BB87A-F707-4596-ADC1-74A70D63ECFF.jpeg

He’ll stay.

Why would he be talking about the Canucks wives. His own wife is still in LA and has never met the Canucks wives. That's why he says it's been difficult on him and her.. They are apart from each other and being separated and the trade has been difficult on him..  

I watched the whole segment last night. He does talk about LA Kings wives and girl friends being very supportive and helpful to his wife after the trade. 

I have no idea what that has to do with him re signing with Canucks or not..so I have no idea what your point is.....