The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

1 minute ago, The.Burrowers said:

I dont see a whole lot of cap room for him, what with Lu and Loui taking up 9 million of dead cap and the young guns needing resigning soon

Neither Petey not Hughes have any bargaining leverage.  They'll get deals that work for them and the team.  

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Violator said:

You could get your docorate on the fauilures of edmonton when it comes to competence and general weakness of the draft structure.

Its not creating a loosing culture when your fully prepared to win in the playoffs.instead of cheating and side stepping any resemblance of a well built team.

This team needs playoff experience. I’d rather get knocked out first round at this point than get a 6-10th pick. Look how long it took the capitals to win the cup. All those second round exits payed off. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

I agree completely with this........... why do you think I'm choked about the trade? We should go thru a few rinse and repeat years before making these types of rental additions.

When you have two superstars, like Petey and Hughes, you're playing on borrowed time.  The clock is already ticking on their window.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

If they get in, the playoff experience they get makes it more than worth it, imo.  Additionally, you have no idea if he's a rental or not.

JB got a 2nd line rw for Bo, he moved out a player everyone wanted gone and he prevented rival teams from getting a top 6 upgrade.......all for a middle prospect and a second.

Madden is not a middle prospect....you will see him in Button's top 50 next year I reckon. We may resign him, but I don't think it will be on a bargain deal. Cap space will be precious going forward so any deal we sign with him will eat into our ability to retain other talent. I can't predict what an extension will look like but I'd imagine he will want something comparable to what he has now, if not more. When you factor in the amount of money we already have tied up in our middling forwards (including the Sutters, Beagles, Roussels, Ferlands, Pearsons....) there isn't a whole lot of room for a TT extension without there being some inefficiencies in the lineup.

Edit: he is already on Button's top prospects, ranked 40

Edited by The.Burrowers
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't particularly like this deal, but it's not that bad. One thing is clear though: management and ownership really want to make the Playoffs this year. 

I don't mind giving up Madden, but not for a rental. He was a player with value who we could've used as a trade chip to shore up other areas of the team (RD, offload a contract, etc.). In my mind, the more sustainable option outweighs the instant improvement option most of the time, and this is not an exception. 

The other thing I (potentially) don't like is the timing of this trade. I'm not sure if it made any it made any difference (hence the potentially part), but Toffoli is just coming off of a hat trick and 4 goals in his last two games after scoring 3 goals in his last 15 games. If we traded for him last week instead, does the trade look slightly different? I don't think any of us can definitively say, but it is a stretch. 

We now don't have a pick in the first two rounds of this draft, which is looking pretty strong. If that doesn't send a clear message through the organization and the fanbase that they want the Playoffs this year, I don't know what does. It's going to suck not having a pick and watching good players get taken in our range, but if it wins us a round it will be good. 

Benning was deliberate in saying that he didn't want to mess around with the team chemistry at the deadline earlier this year. Toffoli mitigates some of that concern for obvious reasons. He also had the best chance of finding chemistry on the ice out of all the potentially available players, so that's encouraging as well. I haven't been overly impressed with my limited viewings of him on the Kings so far this year, but he was playing for the Kings. Hopefully realizing that he's back in the hunt will jump start him a little bit like it did for Pearson last year. His numbers range from decent to pretty good considering the state of the Kings. 

I don't think there's any chance we re-sign Toffoli unless we let at least one of Markstrom and/or Tanev walk or we get some crazy break with Eriksson retiring or something. 

Edited by Horvat is a Boss
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Must of been their confidence at C already and the fact that Hog/Pod have him beat at wing in the top 6.

Also has to pack on weight. He ain't no Petey. Vancouver would be hard for him to crack since he would have to be top 6 or nothing. Need grit in that bottom 6 no more buttery soft guys.

Madden needs some time to physically mature.  Is he better off doing that in college or the AHL?  He’s exactly the body type that stays in school and becomes a UFA so he can both mature to a good weight and then pick the team where he’s going to get the best opportunity.  THere was no way he comes out early for us.  Where is the opportunity?  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Petey has some, Hughes has absolutely none. Neither does Gaudette. Just like Boeser.

I don't see JB as the "lock em up for long term at high aav" kind of GM.  They'll both get deals structured like BB, just with more $, but not as much as people think.