The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Canucks recoup Madden somehow?

Canucks re-sign Toffoli to a decent contract extension?

Toffoli helps cement the 2nd line until Boeser is healthy, at which point he becomes a 3rd liner for us?

There's a umber of ways this trade doesn't look bad at all.  As a fan base we need to not be so dramatic about things.  This is not a terrible trade ala Roy Baby

1. ? Recoup Madden? He is about to win the Hobey. You don't trade a prospect of that quality only to recoup him in the near future....

2. I doubt Toffoli feels this overwhelming sense of loyalty to give Vancouver a discount before testing the waters. The way the deal is structured (only costs a 4th round pick if he resigns) puts all the weight of the trade up front, which in turn puts the pressure on JB to resign which means TT is in a position to milk him for as much as he can. If I was his agent I'd be licking my chops at this scenario as JB has a vested interest in re-signing him.

3. You don't trade those kind of assets unless you are primed to go on a playoff run. Obviously JB thinks we are. He hit the JT Miller trade out of the park, but most of his other trades have been dicey at best, some of them flat out terrible. This one feels like one of the latter...

Again, if we go on a decent run (say win 2 rounds), or Madden is a bust, whatever - the trade is what it is. I am fairly skeptical of either of these things happening.

Edited by The.Burrowers
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

What would you offer?

I honestly don't know.... I called Toffoli trade earlier this morning hoping a a decent prospoect + a pick + Baertschi will do... and JB managed to get it done today!!

I really don't want to see Benn gone... adding another local boy like Dillon will only give us more heart!! But I have faith in JB.... he knows this season we can make some noise in the playoffs!!

Edited by Virtanen#18

This also sends a clear message to the players that the team is fully invested in their success. An important message with a number of difficult negotiations upcoming in the next couple of years (starting with Marky). 

Edited by VforVirtanen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, FlyLow_ said:

That's great, but I don't have to care about that goal. If we aren't able to re-sign the players we need to or Toffoli walks this is a disaster. First round exit or not. This team goes nowhere with this defense. If they were going to do something it should have been packaging Stecher for an upgrade on D.

How is it a disaster?  If he walks, it's pricey, but Madden had no path to the NHL in Van, imo, and a 2nd round pick is a longshot and a 2020 2nd is probably at least 5 years off.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

It's a great trade for both teams.

Toffoli will solidify that Horvat/Pearson line with more scoring. He'll hold down the fort especially until Boeser gets back. Tyler Toffoli is a huge asset.

Tyler Madden is a great prospect obviously, but by no means is he a for sure thing. He's undersized and a 2-3 seasons from making the NHL. Undersized guys do make it more often these days, but Tyler is a ways away. He's also a C, and with the Canucks having Horvat, Gaudette, and Miller there, Madden would have a tough time fitting in any time soon.

Maybe Madden ends up becoming a Gaudette, but Toffoli is a big piece right now for this team that is competing. Obviously the season would likely look very different without Markstrom, but we have Markstrom, so we can't really make that argument.

Schaller is a cap move. Dude wasn't doing much here. He was a fill-in player. He had 4 goals in 3 games in October, but has had 1 goal since then. Decent PKer as well and 4th line guy, but Toffoli is great defensively and on the forecheck. He'll compliment Horvat and Pearson very well. They could even try him with Petey.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

56 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

We wouldn't even be in the playoffs in the East. 

We do have a winning record against the Eastern conference, if the majority of our games were against the eastern conference we could very well be in the playoffs in the east

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Wow he can hit us with the reverse uno.

What if Madden is the one that doesn't sign with the Kings lol.

why would he do that? they have room for him and we just traded hm away.

Its laughable how some people think players hearts are inVancouver even though they never play a game here and we traded them,

maybe WE shoulkd put him in the ring of honour this summer?????

1 minute ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I honestly don't know.... I called Toffoli earlier this morning hoping a a decent prospoect + a pick + Baertschi will do... and JB managed to get it done today!!

I really don't want to see Benn gone... adding another local boy like Dillon will only give us more heart!! But I have faith in JB.... he knows this season we can make some noise in the playoffs!!

Good call, Amigo! Your wish is Gentleman Jim's command.

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, stawns said:

How is it a disaster?  If he walks, it's pricey, but Madden had no path to the NHL in Van, imo, and a 2nd round pick is a longshot and a 2020 2nd is probably at least 5 years off.

It's not a disaster but those are assets that would come in handy when we are actually competing.

1 minute ago, lmm said:

Its laughable how some people think players hearts are inVancouver even though they never play a game here and we traded them,

He was just kidding there man 

3 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I honestly don't know.... I called Toffoli earlier this morning hoping a a decent prospoect + a pick + Baertschi will do... and JB managed to get it done today!!

Well make a call like Dillion for Erikkson!

• Haha 1

Seems like a pretty nice trade to me.

Madden will get a good shot in LA, he was down the C depth chart here.

Schaller, well, he has some good games here.

The picks? I guess if they turn out to be late steals, somehow, we can freak.

Toffoli Bo Pearson is a legit freakin 2nd line.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

It’s a joke relax

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I can't stand this argument and have been reading it a lot here. I accept your point that Madden was in a crowded pool of talent, but that doesn't mean we should just give him away for a rental player. We are finally in a position where we have accumulated some depth. We should be putting those assets to work by way of acquiring some more elite talent - not middling rental players.

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

It's a great trade for both teams.

Toffoli will solidify that Horvat/Pearson line with more scoring. He'll hold down the fort especially until Boeser gets back. Tyler Toffoli is a huge asset.

Tyler Madden is a great prospect obviously, but by no means is he a for sure thing. He's undersized and a 2-3 seasons from making the NHL. Undersized guys do make it more often these days, but Tyler is a ways away. He's also a C, and with the Canucks having Horvat, Gaudette, and Miller there, Madden would have a tough time fitting in any time soon.

Maybe Madden ends up becoming a Gaudette, but Toffoli is a big piece right now for this team that is competing. Obviously the season would likely look very different without Markstrom, but we have Markstrom, so we can't really make that argument.

Schaller is a cap move. Dude wasn't doing much here. He was a fill-in player. He had 4 goals in 3 games in October, but has had 1 goal since then. Decent PKer as well and 4th line guy, but Toffoli is great defensively and on the forecheck. He'll compliment Horvat and Pearson very well. They could even try him with Petey.

Madden was behind Jasek as well.  He makes this trade doable, as he's looking like a legit two way cman.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I get the feeling you think the team is going to win the Cup the first year they get into the playoffs.  It's usually a 3-4 year process to become a legit contender....you get in, you fail, rinse and repeat until that experience you've built up pushes you to the highest level.  The key is, you have to get in first.  

I agree completely with this........... why do you think I'm choked about the trade? We should go thru a few rinse and repeat years before making these types of rental additions.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Definitely needs some work though on the dot and in his own end. Those parts of his game has not nearly been as good as his offensive side.

True,  young guy still learning the pro game.  I have to keep reminding myself he was a fifth rounder

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, The.Burrowers said:

I can't stand this argument and have been reading it a lot here. I accept your point that Madden was in a crowded pool of talent, but that doesn't mean we should just give him away for a rental player. We are finally in a position where we have accumulated some depth. We should be putting those assets to work by way of acquiring some more elite talent - not middling rental players.

You don't know he is a rental either. I can see him sticking, personally. Why wouldn't he?

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 2