The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

9 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Love the line up but I think Ferlund is done. Can’t see him joining the team in the playoffs. There is a good chance he will never play again.

oh yeah mb, i didn't see the news that he was done for the season.

we can insert Leivo instead. B)

2 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

I call him a rental because he basically is one. If he wants to test free agency he can easily wait to do so. In the event he does (most 27 year olds do) that means one of 3 situations can occur

1. He falls in love with the team and gives us what him and his agent deems to be a discount to extend before free agency (seems very unlikely to me)

2. We extend him before July 1 by paying him what his agent expects he can get as UFA (more less same as being a rental)

3. He leaves as free agent (rental)

If he was on a JT miller like contract, that wouldn't be a rental, because he is locked up for a long time.

I hear what you're saying, looking at our cap space it seems like an uphill battle to re-sign him. Your point number 1 is the same for any free agent or player negotiating a contract - you have to want to play for that franchise in the first place.I just don't think this GM and ownership group think we have a complete enough team to make a run....which is why most teams trade for a rental this time of year. It doesn't make any sense. I think this team is still a few pieces away (as do most of us) from making a serious playoff push. I would think Benning has better sense than to start making trades for short term rental players...guess we'll see.

I don’t get why a lot of the people are so worried about the future. We have a very good core right now minus the Defense. Except for Hughes. You can’t draft your entire team. You hit a few home runs and then you build around that via trades and free agency. Rather build around this core and add pieces a long the way. We’re not going to win the Stanley Cup this year but I trust JB enough that he knows what this team needs.

it could always be worse. Could of had Chiarelli 

Edited by NeilColville
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CJ44 said:

Yeah true, but first round picks aren't a sure thing either. . Let's be honest, most first round picks beyond the top 5-10 picks won't go on to be as productive as Miller (keeping in mind Miller himself was picked in the middle of the 1st round)- that's the reality of it. You always take a chance when trading a pick, but you are taking a chance when using that pick too. 

It’s the timing of the Miller trade and this one.  They are both good trades, but it’s too soon to be giving up future assets for support players.  Our core isn’t ready yet to compete for a cup.  Those trades are gone when our core is ready.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, xereau said:

Toffoli has won.

He has instant chemistry with Pearson.
He is a warrior.

He could re-sign.

He pushes us towards being a contender.
Quinn and Petey are both good enough right now to push.

And pushing them now, is only going to make them better later.

This $&!# is for real folks.

JB has been given the green light.

This is a pretty good team that needs depth up front.

Core remains untouched.

"A" list assets untouched.

Possible best goaltending tandem inn the league untouched.

Miller has been and will one worth it. Win.

Schaller and a second for Toffolli. Win.

Let's get Huggy ion the playoffs!

1 minute ago, stawns said:

What was Madden's path to the NHL?  He's not beating out Bo, Petey or AG.......wouldnt you agree?  He'd also have a very tough time getting by Jasek, who is a great fit for the bottom 6 in a year, maybe two.  There simply wasn't a place for Madden down the middle

I agree Madden isn't a big deal rally, any picks are though.

I hope this trade has some part of next year in it, the additions of Miller and Toffoli strengthen the team but I hope Benning finds some way to continue the rebuild, the team needs more top draft picks.

Look at NJ, they started their rebuild two years ago and next year will have 5? first round picks on it with 10 or 12 prospects under 20. They will be set for 12 years. TO haters will hate anything TO but they have a lot of players that will be or could be with them for 10 years, the Canucks have 4?

Just now, bad alice french said:

This $&!# is for real folks.

JB has been given the green light.

This is a pretty good team that needs depth up front.

Core remains untouched.

"A" list assets untouched.

Possible best goaltending tandem inn the league untouched.

Miller has been and will one worth it. Win.

Schaller and a second for Toffolli. Win.

Let's get Huggy ion the playoffs!

Coach and his passive system hasn’t changed.  

• Wat 1

Losing Schaller: +ve for Canucks

Losing Madden: -ve for Canucks, stings for sure but with gaudette he is kind of redundant in our prospect pool. Also, a lot needs to happen for him to see the NHL top 6 (eg. Dahlen)

Losing 2nd Rounder: mild -ve for Canucks, we have a solid prospect pipeline but we are slated to not have any picks in the first 2 rounds this year. I feel we have the pipeline to compensate for this though. More is obviously nicer but Hoglander, Podkolzin, Lind, Woo, Rafferty, Juolevi, Tryamkin are next in line anyway.

Conditional 4th if Toffoli Resigns: If we re-sign Toffoli that is a +ve for Canucks.

Gaining Toffoli: ++++++ve for Canucks. Shores up our top 6 and likely improves our PP which has been stagnant.

Take away: You have to give to get. The caveat is that we absolutely MUST make the playoffs now or this backfires big time. Our chances just improved for sure but we are in no way guaranteed a place in the dance just yet.

• Upvote 1