The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

Just now, Comeback_Kings said:

I hear what fans are saying that it's too early to give to get because the core isn't ready, but Canucks have long moved on from that.  Anybody recall if the Canucks have ever really done a tear it all the way down kind of rebuild in their history, i can't recall, they've always seemed to retool on the fly.  Also, I can't think of one team in the Western Conference that is currently the working parts of a tear it all the way down kind of rebuild, can you?  

I can’t remember ever a time when the canucks fully tore everything down and started over. I think that’s partly because we are the only major sporting event in town. And Canucks are king in this city. 

Also. I don’t think a Canadian market allows for a full on tear everything down kind of rebuild. The fans aren’t patient enough to allow that. Fans in this city are examples of that. 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

I can’t remember ever a time when the canucks fully tore everything down and started over. I think that’s partly because we are the only major sporting event in town. And Canucks are king in this city. 

Also. I don’t think a Canadian market allows for a full on tear everything down kind of rebuild. The fans aren’t patient enough to allow that. Fans in this city are examples of that. 

Toronto says hi. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Schaller and Sutter both do pretty good imitations / stand up  which is great for team when they they are on the road....

Schaller has to go. The man was horrible when he was here. He’s got a chance at a fresh start in L.A.  

Just now, Pickly said:

Well yeah that’s why he’s a general manager or an NHL team getting paid millions of dollars. 

So what’s the plan?  How do we resign Marky, Tanev, Tofoli, and all our other guys due new (and more expensive) contracts?  If the goal is to build a team that can compete for a Cup over several season, what’s the plan to keep all our best players?  JB already said what the plan was.  He said last summer that as guys get too expensive he will replace them with young ELC players.  Now where do these young (and good enough to make a difference) ELC players come from.  Oh, that’s it!  They come from the draft, especially the first two rounds.  And sometimes they even come from a later round, like Tyler Madden.  Considering this is JB’s plan for coping with the cap, and being competitive over a several year period, can you not see why some posters are saying JB is selling the future to make the playoffs this season?  

Now saying all this, I want us to not only make the playoffs this season, but I want us to win the Cup too.  

• Cheers 1

Oh boy. Back to giving up 2nd round picks and legitimate prospects to slightly bolster the top 6 when you are not a contender. TT is also on an expiring contract. 

So no 1st or 2nd round pick this year. Best of luck VAN fans...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Toronto says hi. 

Toronto isn’t a Canadian city :bigblush:

I joke. I think Toronto is a little different. They can suck forever and the Leaf nation would continue to attend games. They also have many other alternative major sporting events like MLB, and the NBA. Vancouver does not. Calgary does not. Montréal does not (used to). Edmonton doesn’t. Ottawa does not. 

44 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

No he doesn't, especially when you look into the reason for the number he wears. 

yeah right, like the Canucks would really ask Bo to change his number, and I know Bo is honoring his London Knights would-be teammate.

Boy, people are really stressed out with this trade that they could not even take the joke. May be I should have added this icon :bigblush: at the end to make it less serious. 

Just now, xereau said:

This is interesting for more than just Canucks' sake. This kind of, and should open up the flood gates for an arms race in the Pacific.

Except this team doesn't belong in any arms race. It's not a contender. 

• Wat 1

12 minutes ago, awalk said:

Hopefully Toffoli re-signs. Good top 6 winger, hard nosed 500 game vet, cup winner, familiarity with Pearson...

Tough to see a 2nd rnd pick go + Madden but whoever we would pick wouldve been 3 years away from playing, Madden 2years from the NHL... need to surround Petey, Hughes, Boeser and Bo with a win now core. This should be a fun playoff drive.

2 years?  I'd say 3, in the very very best case scenario.

• Cheers 1

Just now, RRypien37 said:

Oh boy. Back to giving up 2nd round picks and legitimate prospects to slightly bolster the top 6 when you are not a contender. TT is also on an expiring contract. 

Yes, this deal is 100% of JB trying to hold on to his job.

If the Canucks miss the playoffs this season.... THIS deal will look. SUPER BAD. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

Just now, RRypien37 said:

Appreciate it. But we got Brackett still. By the way. Anyone heard about his contractual status?? 

7 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

You can't just bump bonuses as far down the line as you want. They will count next year whether you want them to or not. They will also count the year after that no matter what. 

With Pettersson and Hughes, the maximum amount of overages there could be is 3.7 million if Pettersson hits some league wide targets (top 10 in league scoring, etc.). The least it can be is 1.7 million if we don't bank any cap space all year. That's not insignificant. 

Again, if it's avoidable, why is having dead cap space at a time when cap space is extremely importance not a bad thing?

sweet

you bump this year into next

next year into the next

or plan to recapture them in a given season

guess what

you are crying over spilled milk

that bonus issue is already bumped to next season

ferland will remain on ltir

how do you propose to fix that without paying with assets

that totally out value the 1.5 million being bumped

you'd have to move a bad contract before the tdl

there are smarter ways to deal with that accounting item