The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Stecher might be on the market

HerrDrFunk

We all got to see what stetchers future is with watching biega for years as nick fans.  Very similar players in many ways. Love both their compete levels and good to have some do whatever it takes inspirational guys around.  Stretcher was fortunate to get big payday on his first contract I suspect series of 1mm deals for 3-4 years before younger version of try hard bumps him from league

Whatever happens to Stech (Fairly likely he isn’t on the team next year) I wish him the best. He’s poured his heart into this team.

I think he’d be a great 6 or 7 dman even on a contending team but he’s more useful to a team that has depth problems. I think he’s worth his contract, if it wasn’t a cap world I’d keep him on my team in a heartbeat. In a perfect world I’d like to see him finish the year and us get something at the draft. I think he deserves to play for us especially if we make the playoffs, I’m sure that would be a dream come true for him growing up in Richmond. But I also understand why one wouldn’t risk it if he can be moved before TDL

• Cheers 2

I think Stecher is a perfectly capable bottom pairing defenceman, he's just being exposed a hell of a lot in Green's defensive system. If he goes to a more sound defensive team he might end up playing much better, but if he goes to a contender I think he'd sit most nights as their 7th guy.

The only reason I'd trade Stecher is if we're putting in a package (including say Baertschi or Goldobin) for a calibre young defenceman with term. NJD is the first place that comes to mind.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think Stecher is a perfectly capable bottom pairing defenceman, he's just being exposed a hell of a lot in Green's defensive system. If he goes to a more sound defensive team he might end up playing much better, but if he goes to a contender I think he'd sit most nights as their 7th guy.

The only reason I'd trade Stecher is if we're putting in a package (including say Baertschi or Goldobin) for a calibre young defenceman with term. NJD is the first place that comes to mind.

Green's system? DO you mean the collapsing in front of the net to try an force outside shots? Stecher is a good puck handler and above average skater. In CUP play opposing teams will play his body just as Calagry did with Tanev a few years ago. They will do the same thing against Hughes. It is a fact of life in CUP play. IMHO this

style of play is the biggest aspect of this years playoffs for the Canucks. Heavy games and how each player reacts. 

Moving Stecher or any player is about what comes back and how it impacts the CAP. 

I'm not in favor of trading Stecher (25 yrs.) at this time because he is the only D currently on our roster who is in the mid 20's range.  Edler, Tanev, Myers, and Benn are all 30 + while Hughes is 20 years old.  Wasn't it not too long ago he was arguably our top D?  So why would you want to trade him when his value is low?  Besides, since he is having an off year, it would help the Nucks in resigning him to a team friendly contract.  

Edited by WestCoastDave

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Makes it harder when he responds this way. We need more BC born and bred players on this team. They wear the colors with such pride, and they have been cheering for the team since they can remember. It's extra incentive to try to bring a CUP home to their city, and province. Don't trade Stecher if it's possible. He's still relatively young at 25 years old, but I also understand that it's a business. Hope Troy is still a Canuck after Monday. He's a quality 5-6 defenseman personally. But it's possible that he might not be a Canuck because of the horrendous managing of the cap. 

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

LA wanted and signed him. Its not like he’s in the AHL or Russia. Something is always better than nothing (Dan Hamius, Ben Hutton, etc.).

LA signed Hutton as UFA, for cheap because no one else wanted him, they didn't want him at the previous deadline. I was referencing what you suggested that he should of been traded at the last deadline. JB tried and no one wanted Hutton at the deadline. Big difference between a trade deadline acquisition and a UFA that is struggling to find a chair once the music stops. Hamhuis had a NTC. 

Edited by rekker
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

LA signed Hutton as UFA, for cheap because no one else wanted him, they didn't want him at the previous deadline. I was referencing what you suggested that he should of been traded at the last deadline. JB tried and no one wanted Hutton at the deadline. Big difference between a trade deadline acquisition and a UFA that is struggling to find a chair once the music stops. Hamhuis had a NTC. 

Stecher is following Hutton.  He will become a UFA July 1, because we won’t sign him.  He will play fir 1 million somewhere, but not with us. 

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Stecher is following Hutton.  He will become a UFA July 1, because we won’t sign him.  He will play fir 1 million somewhere, but not with us. 

18 minutes ago, rekker said:

Yip. Very similar circumstances. 

I'd argue he'll probably be re-signed.  Maybe not qualified, but rather re-signed at a lower cap hit as a UFA.  He's from here, and clearly has pride to be a Canuck.  With the cap going up to the $84M to $88M range, we definitely have room for him. 

He's a perfect 5th defenceman too.  Not many #5 defencemen can step into the #4 slot for an extended period of time and do well.

• Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

I'd argue he'll probably be re-signed.  Maybe not qualified, but rather re-signed at a lower cap hit as a UFA.  He's from here, and clearly has pride to be a Canuck.  With the cap going up to the $84M to $88M range, we definitely have room for him. 

He's a perfect 5th defenceman too.  Not many #5 defencemen can step into the #4 slot for an extended period of time and do well.

Rathbone is already a far better player than Stecher, and he’s going to be on an ELC.  There is no room for Stecher, and not even a million dollar cap hit will get him a spot on this roster.  He’s tiny.  He isn’t hard to play against.  He provides no offence.  Yes, he tries super hard, and would die for the team he grew up cheering for.  That’s not enough.  

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It's a business and I think Stecher is going to be squeezed out of a job. He will land on his feet somewhere. 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Rathbone is already a far better player than Stecher, and he’s going to be on an ELC.  There is no room for Stecher, and not even a million dollar cap hit will get him a spot on this roster.  He’s tiny.  He isn’t hard to play against.  He provides no offence.  Yes, he tries super hard, and would die for the team he grew up cheering for.  That’s not enough.  

Yea only want 1 midget on d and now we have 2. Love Hughes so no more shorties please.

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

I'm not sure how you can quantify that Rathbone is already far better. 

Stecher is in the NHL and has been a regular on this team for several years. I agree with your critiques though.  However, Rathbone is still playing in the ivy league and doing very well but not really tearing it up.

I still give Stecher a big edge though. For one thing, he is a THD which we seem to have a hard time getting but I think the option down the road is neither. Perhaps a more physical Woo or higher scoring and bigger bodied Rafferty may be the answer.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I'm not sure how you can quantify that Rathbone is already far better. 

Stecher is in the NHL and has been a regular on this team for several years. I agree with your critiques though.  However, Rathbone is still playing in the ivy league and doing very well but not really tearing it up.

I still give Stecher a big edge though. For one thing, he is a THD which we seem to have a hard time getting but I think the option down the road is neither. Perhaps a more physical Woo or higher scoring and bigger bodied Rafferty may be the answer.

Bone is bigger, a far superior skater, has a way better shot, see the ice better, and has elite puck skills.  Stecher is a super competitive guy, but what else does he do well?  I love Stecher, and remember him (as a boy) phoning in to our local radio shows as “Troy from Richmond”.  But I want our team to get better.  Bone is better.  

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Bone is bigger, a far superior skater, has a way better shot, see the ice better, and has elite puck skills.  Stecher is a super competitive guy, but what else does he do well?  I love Stecher, and remember him (as a boy) phoning in to our local radio shows as “Troy from Richmond”.  But I want our team to get better.  Bone is better.  

Until he has done something in the NHL to prove it Rathbone is not better. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1