The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Toffoli | #73 | RW/LW

-AJ-

On game days, they have the Canucks player stats in the paper. But they don't show Toffoli, who is actually near the top of scoring, because he's only played 5 games with the Canucks. Shouldn't they use his season totals here and not just Canucks totals? It's deceiving.  

I hope they can re-sign this guy, he's pretty good, and along with Miller, brings a much needed swagger to this team. They need more of this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

On game days, they have the Canucks player stats in the paper. But they don't show Toffoli, who is actually near the top of scoring, because he's only played 5 games with the Canucks. Shouldn't they use his season totals here and not just Canucks totals? It's deceiving.  

I hope they can re-sign this guy, he's pretty good, and along with Miller, brings a much needed swagger to this team. They need more of this.

If he keeps up the scoring pace he's likely to get close to or pass his career high in goals, assists and points. He's 27 and some GM out there will offer him 6.5-7m x 6 years, similar to the Kevin Hayes deal. Not sure the Canucks can afford that.

14 minutes ago, Provost said:

The argument isn't about kicking him to the curb, it is some folks not wanting to admit he has been struggling... even with the black and white evidence in front of them.

I said he was having a hard time this season, it is not about folks not wanting to admit he has been struggling , it is constant complaining of him even now he is injured.  it happening daily. all I am saying is what a way to treat a player who we all were excited  to get . 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 6:55 PM, kylecanuck said:

I've noticed the same thing in quite a few comments, even seen a lot of people wanting to trade Boeser off. While he hasn't been nearly as flashy as some people want out of a first line winger, he is doing everything else. His defensive game isn't great, but that's not why he is here. He scores, back checks fine, and can pass well above average for a sniper. Boeser is just going to get better, and should be a constant 80+ point player. Those don't grow on trees...

i never really understand these sorts of projections

people insist brock is a 40 goal player

or that he is a 30 goal player

he has never cracked that goal total

now the narrative is he is an 80 point player?

let's first see what he can actually do

what he does accomplish, not what he could

i am a huge brock fan

but people get ahead of themselves in their projection of players

hell, even ep40 is not an 80 point player

why suggest brock is

you are just setting yourself and others up for typical cdc bitterness

where you will tire on a player

and demand he get moved

or benched

or whatever posters on here do

when a player is no longer in their good books

people blow so hot and cold on here

i am a huge brock fan as i said

his release in his first season was special

everyone could see that

everyone can see that is no longer part of his repetoire

he no longer stands out as a special player

he is good

but is changing his game

and his role on this team

maybe his wrist will come round

and his repeated injury issues will take a break

he is a very good player and apparently a really good person

hard not to support him

but let's stay real about him too

Edited by coastal.view
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, GritGrinder said:

If he keeps up the scoring pace he's likely to get close to or pass his career high in goals, assists and points. He's 27 and some GM out there will offer him 6.5-7m x 6 years, similar to the Kevin Hayes deal. Not sure the Canucks can afford that.

Yeah, it seems unlikely, doesn't it?  The only think the Canucks have going for them is that many of the good teams are having similar cap problems and I don't see a rebuilding team wanting him.

Does another GM take the chance that his sudden resurgence isn't directly related to the line he is currently playing on?  Regardless, he's certainly worth an increase, that's for sure.  I don't see it as high as what you are anticipating though.

Obviously the Canucks have to find a way to shed contracts this summer, if they want to re-sign Toffoli (which I'm sure they do).  There are some possibilities, but they are not a sure thing and finding ways to off load these contract is a very difficult task.  Lots of other UFAs and RFAs to be re-signed (or not) as well.

I hope they don't decide to trade off Boeser to acquire Toffoli as I think, given the gap in their age, it would come back and bite the team.

Hurts my head when I think too much about it:frantic:

3 hours ago, Provost said:

I am trying to be done with time vampires who just troll nonsense.

Boeser has been struggling the last while for sure, maybe it was injury, maybe it was something else.  Coaches don't demote players from the top line to the 3rd line because they are playing great and producing.  It doesn't mean he would struggle forever or is a crap player.

Toffoli in the same roster spot has had pretty much the same production in 4 games as Boeser had in 16 games since New Years.  That is a good thing for us.

Hopefully when Boeser gets back he finds some chemistry on the line he is put on and starts producing again.

You mean the way the Pens demoted Kessel to the third line to spread out the scoring and win a Cup? Yeah, no coach would ever do that.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Im not kicking Boeser to the curb by any means, but if you're watching those games before Boeser got injured, you have to be honest with yourself, he HAS been struggling. The best thing right now, hoping at least is that brock comes back healthy and scoring again, because we need him AND Toffoli in the top 2 lines for a hopefully long playoff run

3 hours ago, Provost said:

The argument isn't about kicking him to the curb, it is some folks not wanting to admit he has been struggling... even with the black and white evidence in front of them.

You saying boeser is struggling in a tiny sample is silly.

Every single player in the NHL has periods where they player better than other periods. But no one with any sense judges a hockey player in tiny sample sizes. They judge NHL players by looking at their overall stats. And Boeser's overall stats clearly show he is a first line winger.

So your so called analysis and judgement that Boeser struggled is ridiculous imo.

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

You mean the way the Pens demoted Kessel to the third line to spread out the scoring and win a Cup? Yeah, no coach would ever do that.

Except Boeser wasn't producing.  Very little at 5 on 5 and literally nothing on the power play.  

It is pretty amazing to me that people are suggesting that Boeser was producing just fine and not struggling at all... even though the black and white numbers show that was the case.  It was 20% of the season that his play 5 on 5 was subpar, especially with the prime minutes he was getting.  It was most of the season before his injury where his power play production was non-existent.

Playing badly for a long stretch of games is still playing badly.  It doesn't mean the player is crap, but it certainly means they are struggling.  The numbers speak for themselves.  If Petterson was having a sophomore slump, then it isn't some sort of disloyalty to say that... saying it also doesn't predict or judge what his play would be in the future.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Agreed.

And we dont have 10 years for him to figure it out like it took Marky.  Unless demko does a complete reversal and plays well, I would support trading him and signing Marky long term. Just get a ufa back up every year as needed.

Geez.... what sort of guy just craps on a young player like this?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Not sure I care.

Keep him and let him go to Seattle.  Whatever. But if he continues with the crap play from the last 2 games it makes the Canuck decision easy.

Sign Marky for 6 years and leave demko unprotected.  All those posters that kept saying we should keep demko and trade Marky are clearly out to lunch imo.

I would love a big D back there. But stech was not the problem tonight. That was solely on demko.

Only jerks crap on a young player with a small sample size... 2 games is a huge sample size, but half a season isn't!

"Every single player in the NHL has periods where they player better than other periods. But no one with any sense judges a hockey player in tiny sample sizes. They judge NHL players by looking at their overall stats. And Boeser's overall stats clearly show he is a first line winger."

hahahahahahaha....

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Only jerks crap on a young player with a small sample size... 2 games is a huge sample size, but half a season isn't!

hahahahahahaha....

Sure is frustrating when the team I love barely shows up to play one of the worst teams in the league.....

.....but you say boeser is not good.  Sure pal....:picard:

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Sure is frustrating when the team I love barely shows up to play one of the worst teams in the league.....

.....but you say boeser is not good.  Sure pal....:picard:

hahahahaha.... this must hurt a lot to be shown to be a hypocritical goofball just making stuff up to argue... and arguing literally the opposite position in another thread.

Demko is 16-10-3 in his short NHL career... that would translate into more than a 98 point season.  But hey, you say Demko is not good.  Sure pal....

The really funny thing is I never said Boeser wasn't any good, I said he was struggling before his injury... yet you are actually saying Demko is no good after two games... you literally hung the entire team effort on Demko in your quotes "that was solely on Demko".... hahahaha

@TreMac gave me the best laugh of the day... I owe him a beer.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, gurn said:

And yet Brock is scoring at a 31 goal per season pace, despite his "struggles".

Exactly.  But that same poster also thought Toffoli was not the right guy to trade for.  Oh well.....:picard:.  They also said we paid too much for JT Miller.  Ouch.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Wat 1

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

And yet Brock is scoring at a 31 goal per season pace, despite his "struggles".

He wasn’t scoring close to that this year (16 goals in 56 games doesn’t equal anywhere near 31... which goes exactly against your point and shows that he has been struggling lately, he was on his career average early in the season and then his production tanked since the New Year.  The numbers in my above posts don’t lie that he wasn’t producing for almost two months before his injury (and three months of not producing on the power play).

As much as you want to try to change the argument to me saying that Boeser is crap, has always been crap, and always will be crap... that is you just making it up because the original one made no sense.  Please feel free to quote where I said anything like that.... I will wait here holding my breath.

I said he was struggling before his injury, and proved it by posting his numbers which were well below his career average.

... and yet my detractors are literally saying that Demko is crap after two games...

... hahahahaha

Edited by Provost

20 minutes ago, gurn said:

Please show me where I said that?

It is the only thing possible to infer because you keep bringing up his career or yearly numbers to say I am wrong and that he wasn’t struggling before he got hurt.

You are literally arguing that he wasn’t struggling because he played better at other times in his career aside from the time he wasn’t producing before he got injured.  It doesn’t even make sense within its own logic.

You are arguing against your own point.  He was playing almost a PPG pace for the first two months of the season... then for January and February he was on well under half a PPG.  That literally defines him being in a slump and struggling in January and February.  It wasn’t a two game sample size like the Demko bashing, it was fully 20% of the season, and much more if you look at his power play production disappearing.

Your only comebacks to that empirical fact is that he played better other times and somehow the synapses aren’t connecting that is literally agreeing with my point while arguing against it.

Edited by Provost
  • Wat 1

18 minutes ago, Provost said:

you keep bringing up his career or yearly numbers

Can you show me where I "keep bringing up his career or yearly numbers"? As far as I know this is the first time I've posted in this thread in regards to Brock's pace.