The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Toffoli | #73 | RW/LW

-AJ-

44 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

They're just starting their rebuild, and accumulating picks. I'm sure they can manage to get a goalie and some D over the next couple of years. I can actually see them drafting the Russian goalie (Askarov), and if so, oh boy.

I'm now wondering if trading for Toffoli was the best move, we kind of, in some small way, are helping LA with their rebuild. A Pacific rival!

And in return we get a player of theirs for around 25 games. Hmm. Big possibility we lose Toffoli in the off season, and I think Benning may have reacted in haste when Boeser went down for the season. Benning is trying to save his job by doing whatever he has to to get the Canucks in the playoffs. Maybe I just don't have a read on Toffoli yet, not sure where his loyalty lies, if he has any loyalty, or if he likes it here so far, if he wants to stay after this season.     

And yet you alleged that L.A. has a better prospect pool than Vancouver. Just admit you should have qualified your statement. 

7 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

And yet you alleged that L.A. has a better prospect pool than Vancouver. Just admit you should have qualified your statement. 

Well, for fairness, Pettersson, Gaudette and Hughes were considered prospects a year ago.

I dunno, who are the Cancuks prospects worth mentioning?

Podkolzin

Hoglander

Lind

Focht

Juolevi

Rathbone

Woo

DiPietro

It's still pretty good

On 2/20/2020 at 2:36 PM, NUCKER67 said:

It is bold, and the hockey panel guys seem to like the trade. I guess they see it as: can you put a cost on getting Pettersson and Hughes into some playoff experience? Maybe this is all it is, do what needs to be done to get the Canucks into the playoffs, and then it's anybody's game. But then what?

The 2020 Draft the Canucks won't have many, if any, impactful picks (just Rounds 3 and on). Toffoli will probably walk. And if Benning manages to re-sign Leivo, Virtanen, Motte, Gaudette, MacEwen, Stecher, Fantenberg, Tanev and Markstrom  - they'll have the same team as before trading to get Toffoli. lol

Which prospects take the big step next season? Will Hoglander make the team? I have my doubts, and think he'll start his career in Utica. He'll eventually get here though, too skilled not to. Does Juolevi make the team finally? Not sure, he is a man of mystery. Will Kole Lind be the new, bright and shiny toy to get the fans excited about? Possibly, but he'll be relegated to the 4th line, probably.

The Canucks have 2 years to get into the playoffs, why are they suddenly so impatient? 

Spoiler

So If Im understanding you correctly, youre worried that the Canucks dont have the prospect depth to warrant the assets given up for Toffoli correct?

MacEwan, Breezer, and Rafferty will probably be on the team next season.  Lind MIGHT be able to push for a spot if he has a great summer, but 2 years for him is more likely.  Hogz is a wildcard.  The rest are all ? regarding how much development time theyll need.

But more to your point, I have a sneaky feeling there will be some heavy turnover this summer.  Marky might even be gone, as well as Tanev.  Heck maybe even Boeser/Virtanen/Stetcher all get moved for who knows?  So in this regard, maybe its not a bad idea to try and add to this group to see how they do since next season might be a bit of a ? as well roster wise.  

TT might be gone as well.  I think JB has to (and will) negotiate tough on contracts.  Ownership also has a very vested interest in making the playoffs, and hopefully continue to be in.  SO to get back to the my prior comment, I think theure are alot of layers at work here.  Its not just JB trying to save his butt so to speak.  

Edited by SILLY GOOSE
tt talk

27 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

youre worried that the Canucks dont have the prospect depth to warrant the assets given up for Toffoli correct?

Well, kind of sucks to lose Madden, but they can afford to, because they've also got Focht, Gaudette and MacEwen, who could play C. What I think I'm more concerned with is they're trading away a top prospect and a high pick for a player that will only help them so much. They didn't look great last night, losing to MIN. They also lost badly to ANA of all teams, and will probably get spanked on Saturday against BOS. Sorry, not feeling very positive these days. I see some players giving their all, and then some are just so inconsistent. Hopefully they get into the playoffs this year, otherwise this trade could be very embarrassing and costly. Maybe Benning isn';t done? If he can solidify that D, then maybe they'll have more success? I can't see Simmonds making a difference on this team, if he comes here, when they need better D.

On 2/20/2020 at 3:38 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Well, kind of sucks to lose Madden, but they can afford to, because they've also got Focht, Gaudette and MacEwen, who could play C. What I think I'm more concerned with is they're trading away a top prospect and a high pick for a player that will only help them so much. They didn't look great last night, losing to MIN. They also lost badly to ANA of all teams, and will probably get spanked on Saturday against BOS. Sorry, not feeling very positive these days. I see some players giving their all, and then some are just so inconsistent. Hopefully they get into the playoffs this year, otherwise this trade could be very embarrassing and costly. Maybe Benning isn';t done? If he can solidify that D, then maybe they'll have more success? I can't see Simmonds making a difference on this team, if he comes here, when they need better D.

Spoiler

I hear you.  Futures like the 2nd and Madden could be very valuable down the road to give up for a rental.  I think the first step is seeing how he/the team does.  Best case scenario is they do well, which really opens up a lot of possibilities in the off season.  

Edited by SILLY GOOSE
tt talk

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Green’s systems are a little lost for NHL players. 

You have to admit it's a hell of a lot better than watching Willy D, or Alain Vigneault pre Mike Gillis, he has them playing a high tempo, exciting hockey, no system is perfect but I would much rather watch this than a boring sit back and trap system

Edited by mikkim

For a first game, I was very impressed with Toffoli.

He brings a very different skill set to the first line than does Boeser

He is faster and more aggressive......good shot, not Boeser's calibre

A quick look at his plus minus puts him at a plus 79

I wonder how his advanced stats look when compared to Brock's?

Looks pretty durable...….

Toffoli gives us options, if we want to keep him...…...

Not even going to say what they are...

He will be interesting to watch and see how he contributes

I love his attitude, though

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

For a first game, I was very impressed with Toffoli.

He brings a very different skill set to the first line than does Boeser

He is faster and more aggressive......good shot, not Boeser's calibre

A quick look at his plus minus puts him at a plus 79

I wonder how his advanced stats look when compared to Brock's?

Looks pretty durable...….

Toffoli gives us options, if we want to keep him...…...

Not even going to say what they are...

He will be interesting to watch and see how he contributes

I love his attitude, though

100% agree. TT has played his entire career in the West Coast. He steps into a team that is on the upswing. As much a big deal that he plays with Miller as playing with EP40. He has to be smiling about that. We don't know whether he wants to re-sign with Van or not. Tax treatment alone gives the American teams an advantage. But life is good on the Coast. If the Canucks make playoffs and have a decent run it might get him excited about coming back. He has an abrasiveness similar to Miller which is needed. 

• Cheers 2

21 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

It is bold, and the hockey panel guys seem to like the trade. I guess they see it as: can you put a cost on getting Pettersson and Hughes into some playoff experience? Maybe this is all it is, do what needs to be done to get the Canucks into the playoffs, and then it's anybody's game. But then what?

The 2020 Draft the Canucks won't have many, if any, impactful picks (just Rounds 3 and on). Toffoli will probably walk. And if Benning manages to re-sign Leivo, Virtanen, Motte, Gaudette, MacEwen, Stecher, Fantenberg, Tanev and Markstrom  - they'll have the same team as before trading to get Toffoli. lol

Which prospects take the big step next season? Will Hoglander make the team? I have my doubts, and think he'll start his career in Utica. He'll eventually get here though, too skilled not to. Does Juolevi make the team finally? Not sure, he is a man of mystery. Will Kole Lind be the new, bright and shiny toy to get the fans excited about? Possibly, but he'll be relegated to the 4th line, probably.

The Canucks have 2 years to get into the playoffs, why are they suddenly so impatient? 

Bolded is mine. Playoffs would be a huge boost for a young team that needs to understand how the game is played post-season. Invaluable experience that would help set them up for success over the next several seasons as they mature.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Disgruntler said:

Bolded is mine. Playoffs would be a huge boost for a young team that needs to understand how the game is played post-season. Invaluable experience that would help set them up for success over the next several seasons as they mature.

As good an experience as that would be, this is only Pettersson's second year and Hughes is a rookie. I think this has more to do with Aquilini telling Benning "get into the playoffs this year, or else..." 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

As good an experience as that would be, this is only Pettersson's second year and Hughes is a rookie. I think this has more to do with Aquilini telling Benning "get into the playoffs this year, or else..." 

Both likely factor into the push for the playoffs.... better job security for JB and TG as well as big time revenue that is generated from the home games for Aquilini.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

People like yourself are so darn good at knowing what Aquilini has been telling Benning regarding his job security.

Not sure if you're aware of this, but we're not even 1 year removed from the same Aquilini giving Benning a vote of confidence with a 3 year contract extension.

Gonna channel my inner Cherry, you people should be on a day time talk show. TT trade has -nothing- to do with job security and everything to do with Benning identifying that this team has become better, quicker than he or anyone else could've imagined. You have to take advantage of young stars on ELCs and that is precisely what he's going for.

Pleased with TT first game, high IQ player is evident immediately

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

Pleased with TT first game, high IQ player is evident immediately

Yes, very high IQ and I love his competitive game.  He's very much like JT, but not as good offensively.

His in the midst of his prime and has played the last 2 seasons on a low scoring team, so I think his numbers will be better in Vancouver.  Really hoping that the Canucks can sign him for next season.

JT    Pete   Boes

Pears  Bo   Toffoli

That's a fine looking top 6 that can play a complete game and put up a lot of points.

• Cheers 2