The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Toffoli | #73 | RW/LW

-AJ-

I think Petey will be in the top 10 best players in the league inside the next year or two. I think in his prime, he will be top 5 or 6. I believe the only thing holding him back right now is his size, but he has a big frame and should pack on some pounds through the next few years. Once he has the strength to bust through guys with his moves, he will be a VERY hard player to stop.

As for TT, I do think we need to point out to him his body of work over his career, and that his current point production is clearly due to the players we have put him with. I believe he will want to re-sign with us (who doesn't like having career years?) and that Benning will try to move cap to do it. I don't feel Benning solely got him as a rental; I believe Benning got him to replace Boeser's points and keep us in the race, but also to give us a better chance to re-sign him once he gets a taste of our team and where we are going.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Perhaps, good for us if he is but im having my doubts. Matthews is a year older than Petey and the comparisons arent even remotely close. This isn't a comparison of one guy having 1 year under his belt and another having 5. Matthews right now is a far superior player, and honestly, Matthews for EP40, Benning pulls that off, he'll have a statue in front of Rogers arena

Matthews also plays with amazing players like Marner, Tavares. Leagues best offence. 

Matthews has 2 more years in the league on Petey. It usually takes elite players 4-5 years to reach their full potential ie Eichel/Mackinnon/Pastrnak. 

Petey also has the disadvantage of being underweight which not a lot of elite players had coming in. 

Wait 2-3 more seasons when Petey reaches that potential and has an NHL body he might be an Art Ross contender. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking around the league for potential suitors for TT and actually think the Canucks have a shot to re-sign him. There are some other contenders (Nashville,Colorado) but assuming he wants a prominent role on a decent team in nice city I could see Van being a fit. Making Eriksson disappear would certainly help make room. I do think they could move Rousell, perhaps with modest retention. His money is 4.4 over the next two so he is cash cheaper than his cap hit.

On 3/19/2020 at 12:15 PM, Mackcanuck said:

Wow, that's the first time that I've ever seen that. I don't tend to watch Bruins-Kings games but that was a beauty. An almost impossible play really but they pulled it off.

• Upvote 1

I sure hope Jim Benning signs Mr, Taffoli to a new 4 year x 4.9 million dollar contract. Really like the way Taffoli plays and on Pettersson line he will scor 30 goals, 65-70 point for next 4 years. He plays a complete game..Once we have Taffoli signed we can make some other important moves..

Tanev - Excellent D man 30 yrs old now and very injury prone----Must not sign again at 4.8 million x 4 yrs ... Trade for 4th rounder or let him walk..

Stetcher 25 yrs old - Must trade RFAv, he will demand at least 2.8 million x 4 yrs  -- I feel Rafferty  can fill Stetchers spot at $700.000...

Must trade for a #2 D man to take Tanev's spot... I am okay with trading Boser..Have to trade something good to get this type of D man back..

Example = Severson 25, 6'2, solid 2 way D man plays PP, PK and plays 20-22 mins, N.J Devils 

Dumba, 26 , plays a solid game 20 -22 mins either player would fit in very well I prefer Severson....

I feel Juolevi will still be a #3 D man very soon, injuries have slowed him down, still only 21, 6'3, great skater and great hockey IQ..

Edited by wildcam
  • Cheers 1

On 3/8/2020 at 1:49 AM, filthycanuck said:

Perhaps, good for us if he is but im having my doubts. Matthews is a year older than Petey and the comparisons arent even remotely close. This isn't a comparison of one guy having 1 year under his belt and another having 5. Matthews right now is a far superior player, and honestly, Matthews for EP40, Benning pulls that off, he'll have a statue in front of Rogers arena

Each player has a different trajectory because each player has a different starting point, due mainly to genetics.

If you think of NHL career as a marathon, Matthews' started the race at the front of the crowd because he already matured into full framed body at age 18. EP started the race in the middle because he had to build his body up first. So not only Matthews 1 year older but he is at least 2-3 years ahead of EP in the development trajectory (starting at the front with full body vs starting in the middle due to still maturing body).

There's no denying that the two players come with amazing skillset and in EP's case, desire to win that Matthews may not be able to match. This may ultimately lead EP to surpass Matthews when both are at their peaks. Look at Toronto, people are already talking about what caused their rebuild to veer off course and compare to Vancouver, where everyone is saying, how did they accelerate the rebuild so quick (EP + Hughes + smart trades). I'm going to digress a bit and say that Toronto's rebuild veered off course due to Tavares signing causing constraint on the cap as well as signing Nylander to a lucrative contract rather than trading him for defensive help, and only exacerbated by trading Kadri, one player that played feisty, did the dirty work, and checked the opposition's best players for an offensive defenceman that doesn't play much defence. /digression

Look at David Pastrnak for EP's comparison. He was a skinny kid, weighing at around 170 pounds. His first two seasons were OK, showed that he is an NHLer but it was far from clear if he was on his way to becoming an elite player. 

EP was and still is a skinny kid, weighed around 160 at the draft and now about 175 pounds. And you look at his first two seasons, what he was able to do without a fully mature body and everyone can see that he is not only an NHLer but an elite NHLer on his way to HHOF. I look at EP and see a player that is eclipsing Pastrnak's development trajectory and is a two-way center to boot. Next season, he will be around 180-190 pounds, he will be stronger and will be able to get his lethal shots off quicker and they will be harder for the goalies to react to. I don't think 40+ goals is out of question for EP. 

I look at Matthews and see a great goal scorer, he may turn out to be the best goal scorer amongst the players in his generation, succeeding Ovi, although Matthews won't have quite as big gap as Ovi did against his peers. But the cup is not won by one player scoring 60 goals in the regular season. I think it's players like EP that plays hard at all times, that will score big goals that win you the cup.

• Cheers 1

On 3/8/2020 at 1:49 AM, filthycanuck said:

:sick::sick::sick:

EP all day. EP has a combination of both skill and character. You don't see EP pull off his pants and turn his back side to a female security guard.

51 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I sure hope Jim Benning signs Mr, Taffoli to a new 4 year x 4.9 million dollar contract. Really like the way Taffoli plays and on Pettersson line he will scor 30 goals, 65-70 point for next 4 years. He plays a complete game..Once we have Taffoli signed we can make some other important moves..

Tanev - Excellent D man 30 yrs old now and very injury prone----Must not sign again at 4.8 million x 4 yrs ... Trade for 4th rounder or let him walk..

Stetcher 25 yrs old - Must trade RFAv, he will demand at least 2.8 million x 4 yrs  -- I feel Rafferty  can fill Stetchers spot at $700.000...

Must trade for a #2 D man to take Tanev's spot... I am okay with trading Boser..Have to trade something good to get this type of D man back..

Example = Severson 25, 6'2, solid 2 way D man plays PP, PK and plays 20-22 mins, N.J Devils 

Dumba, 26 , plays a solid game 20 -22 mins either player would fit in very well I prefer Severson....

I feel Juolevi will still be a #3 D man very soon, injuries have slowed him down, still only 21, 6'3, great skater and great hockey IQ..

Agree with most of what you say but disagree with trading away Boeser. I still think he has the potential to be a consistent 35-40 goal scorer in the league.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Agree with most of what you say but disagree with trading away Boeser. I still think he has the potential to be a consistent 35-40 goal scorer in the league.

I do understand about Boser being a 35 goal scorer....I think he will be injury prone...I see Boser 26-32 goals plays soft, I would trade him, we have Podkolzin, 6'1, 200 lbs, talented, big power forward, gritty,  March 2021 NHL ready, Hoglander, 5'10 gritty , speedy ..Both of these young wingers will be very good...

Miller - Pettersson - Taffoli

Pearson - Bo - Virtanen --( Leivo) -  Ferland ?

Roussel - Gaudette - Leivo  -( Virtanen)

MacEwen - Sutter - Motte 

We must fill big hole with Tanev gone? Who are you trading to another team for a #2 D man?

Bottom line have to give up a top 4 forward for a #2 D man...

Have to fill big hole with no tanev ? Most important spot to fill, Need top #2 D man without this we will be in trouble...

Edited by wildcam
  • Wat 1

33 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I do understand about Boser being a 35 goal scorer....I think he will be injury prone...I see Boser 26-32 goals plays soft, I would trade him, we have Podkolzin, 6'1, 200 lbs, talented, big power forward, gritty,  March 2021 NHL ready, Hoglander, 5'10 gritty , speedy ..Both of these young wingers will be very good...

Miller - Pettersson - Taffoli

Pearson - Bo - Virtanen --( Leivo) -  Ferland ?

Roussel - Gaudette - Leivo  -( Virtanen)

MacEwen - Sutter - Motte 

We must fill big hole with Tanev gone? Who are you trading to another team for a #2 D man?

Bottom line have to give up a top 4 forward for a #2 D man...

Have to fill big hole with no tanev ? Most important spot to fill, Need top #2 D man without this we will be in trouble...

Until Podkolzin and Hoglander proves they are consistent top 6 scorers at the NHL level, I won't trade Boeser. Plus, Pearson and Toffoli will be older and in 2-3 years (even if we resign them) they will likely be 3rd line wingers instead of top 6 wingers. 

• Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Until Podkolzin and Hoglander proves they are consistent top 6 scorers at the NHL level, I won't trade Boeser. Plus, Pearson and Toffoli will be older and in 2-3 years (even if we resign them) they will likely be 3rd line wingers instead of top 6 wingers. 

Well if Benning doesn't trade for a #2 D man Vancouver will be out of wildcard early..Big hole in D when they move away from Tanev?

Any team will wan't a Boser for there # 2 D man????

Who are you trading to get a Severson type D man???? 

Just like Miller trade 1st and 3rd rounder to get you a Miller.. Good trade..

Same will happen for # 2 D man.....

Jake and Demko might get you that # 2 D man

Boser - will get top D man back..

Just reality ...

Can't wait for this trade.... Team will have big hole nobody ready to fill #2 spot on this roster...

Joulevi maybe by 2021...

Edited by wildcam

19 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Well if Benning doesn't trade for a #2 D man Vancouver will be out of wildcard early..Big hole in D when they move away from Tanev?

Any team will wan't a Boser for there # 2 D man????

Who are you trading to get a Severson type D man???? 

Just like Miller trade 1st and 3rd rounder to get you a Miller.. Good trade..

Same will happen for # 2 D man.....

Jake and Demko might get you that # 2 D man

Boser - will get top D man back..

Just reality ...

Can't wait for this trade.... Team will have big hole nobody ready to fill #2 spot on this roster...

Joulevi maybe by 2021...

In the mean time I see the team just resign Tanev at the right cap hit. I doubt the Devils will want to give up Severson though. This blackhole is a result of MG era's failed drafting.

Edited by ruilin96

3 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

In the mean time I see the team just resign Tanev at the right cap hit. I doubt the Devils will want to give up Severson though. This blackhole is a result of MG era's failed drafting.

I agree with the poor drafting for sure under Gillis and Nonis...

Yes Severson is very very good....They need a top winger since Hall is gone in New Jersey....

It will be a interesting off season..

Edited by wildcam

7 hours ago, wildcam said:

Toffoli - like the title of the thread says lol

:lol:

5 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

It is true, Mike Gillis left a hole where his draft picks should have been, but 6 years might be all the time we get to lay the blame at his feet.

Jim has done some good things, Gillis also did some good things, (just not much in the draft)

But how long does Jim get to use the Gillis excuse?

Jim drafted Tryamkin, but he has not played for several years

Jim traded the pick that could have been Brandon Montour

Jim could have traded Darek Dorsett while his value was high, but chose to sign him for big $$ to play 100 more games over 3 years

Jim could have drafted Rasmus Anderson or Vince Dunn

Jim could have drafted Andrew Peeke or Samuel Girard

or Viktor Mete

Now I am not saying the moves that cost these picks were not helpful or neccesary, but they were choices made by Jim Benning, not Mike Gillis.

46 minutes ago, lmm said:

It is true, Mike Gillis left a hole where his draft picks should have been, but 6 years might be all the time we get to lay the blame at his feet.

Jim has done some good things, Gillis also did some good things, (just not much in the draft)

But how long does Jim get to use the Gillis excuse?

Jim drafted Tryamkin, but he has not played for several years

Jim traded the pick that could have been Brandon Montour

Jim could have traded Darek Dorsett while his value was high, but chose to sign him for big $$ to play 100 more games over 3 years

Jim could have drafted Rasmus Anderson or Vince Dunn

Jim could have drafted Andrew Peeke or Samuel Girard

or Viktor Mete

Now I am not saying the moves that cost these picks were not helpful or neccesary, but they were choices made by Jim Benning, not Mike Gillis.

Bottom line, I think that Benning has filled in the gaps resulting from the drafting black hole.

If you want to be strict about it.  Gillis did hit on Horvat in his last year but he pretty much whiffed on his first 5 years (Coho in 2008, Gaunce and Hutton in 2012).  Before that, Nonis was no great shakes either.  2005 was the Bourdon, Raymond year.  2006 was Grabner and 2007 was a blank.  The void is for 7 years total and is made up of players who would have been 25-32 going into this past season (Horvat being 24).  The age traditionally considered prime.

Here is the list of Canuck regulars between the ages of 25 and 32.

32.  Benn

31.  Sutter

30.  Roussel, Myers, Tanev, Markstrom

28.  Fantenberg

27.  Miller, Toffoli, Pearson, Ferland, Baertschi

26.  Leivo

25.  Motte, Stecher

Forgive me if the ages are not exactly right.  I just read them off CapFriendly and didn't check all the birthdays.  I think that my point is made though. 

The black hole is no longer black.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Bottom line, I think that Benning has filled in the gaps resulting from the drafting black hole.

If you want to be strict about it.  Gillis did hit on Horvat in his last year but he pretty much whiffed on his first 5 years (Coho in 2008, Gaunce and Hutton in 2012).  Before that, Nonis was no great shakes either.  2005 was the Bourdon, Raymond year.  2006 was Grabner and 2007 was a blank.  The void is for 7 years total and is made up of players who would have been 25-32 going into this past season (Horvat being 24).  The age traditionally considered prime.

Here is the list of Canuck regulars between the ages of 25 and 32.

32.  Benn

31.  Sutter

30.  Roussel, Myers, Tanev, Markstrom

28.  Fantenberg

27.  Miller, Toffoli, Pearson, Ferland, Baertschi

26.  Leivo

25.  Motte, Stecher

Forgive me if the ages are not exactly right.  I just read them off CapFriendly and didn't check all the birthdays.  I think that my point is made though. 

The black hole is no longer black.

2011 Gillis work:

33 Samuelson

30 Malhotra

29 Alberts

28 Erhoff/Torres

27 Hamhius/ Ballard/Higgins

26 Rome/Glass/Tambellini

25 Lapierre/Bulduc/Volpatti

24 Oreskovich (Nonis- Raymond/Edler/Hansen)

20 Hodgson/Tanev

I don't see a lot of difference between you list and  my list from 2011.

14/15 players in your chosen age group, however I only listed players Gillis brought in, I did not list Sedin X2, Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows, Schnieder, Luongo.

It is true Benning has done better with drafting, But Gillis drafted CoHo at 10 in 08 and there were 4 players better in the first round KarlsonCarlsonMyers and Eberle. there were good Dmen later in that draft that Gillis missed on.

Gillis signed Samuelson, Malhotra,Torres, Hamhuis, Rome, I think those guys stack up pretty good agains Jim's signings

Gillis stole Erhoff, Higgins and Lapierre and I would give Jim the edge but the Miller and Ballard/Oreskovich deals had a similar payout.

But my point was, I think it is time we stop blaming Gillis. He did some good things, drafting was not his strong suit, but at this point lets look at what Jim has done and stop blaming MG or even Nonis.

Every new GM picks up the pieces of the previous regime.

Jim has had plenty of time to build his own team.

At this point Jim has added 5 pieces to the roster through the draft.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, lmm said:

2011 Gillis work:

33 Samuelson

30 Malhotra

29 Alberts

28 Erhoff/Torres

27 Hamhius/ Ballard/Higgins

26 Rome/Glass/Tambellini

25 Lapierre/Bulduc/Volpatti

24 Oreskovich (Nonis- Raymond/Edler/Hansen)

20 Hodgson/Tanev

I don't see a lot of difference between you list and  my list from 2011.

14/15 players in your chosen age group, however I only listed players Gillis brought in, I did not list Sedin X2, Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows, Schnieder, Luongo.

It is true Benning has done better with drafting, But Gillis drafted CoHo at 10 in 08 and there were 4 players better in the first round KarlsonCarlsonMyers and Eberle. there were good Dmen later in that draft that Gillis missed on.

Gillis signed Samuelson, Malhotra,Torres, Hamhuis, Rome, I think those guys stack up pretty good agains Jim's signings

Gillis stole Erhoff, Higgins and Lapierre and I would give Jim the edge but the Miller and Ballard/Oreskovich deals had a similar payout.

But my point was, I think it is time we stop blaming Gillis. He did some good things, drafting was not his strong suit, but at this point lets look at what Jim has done and stop blaming MG or even Nonis.

Every new GM picks up the pieces of the previous regime.

Jim has had plenty of time to build his own team.

At this point Jim has added 5 pieces to the roster through the draft.

My post wasn't to disagree with you.  It was to agree with you.  Benning has filled the gaps, the argument that Gillis ruined the team is in the past and is no longer relevant.

I'm over Gillis myself.  He fell flat on the most important part of a GM's job but it is past.  Benning has had the time to build his own team.  I agree.  And he has added plenty of players to fill in the gaps as I have shown.   As time goes on, more and more of Benning's picks will be playing for the club.  It's really important to use these assets well.  

• Cheers 2