The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Islanders at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 10, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

You're underpaying 3 players who are signing their last big contract and coming off career years.

Markstrom will get way more term and an AAV close to 6.5m-7m on the open market.

Toffolli will sign a similar deal to Kevin Hayes and Chris Kreider 6-7 years at $7m

Pietrangelo is going to get way more than a $500k AAV raise I don't care what the term is. He's a SC captain and will set career highs in goals and points this season an AAV around 9 sounds about right.

So you're off by about $4m-$5m.

Not to mention the fact that that you think you'll get EP and Hughes for a combined 14m-18m whens it more than likely over 20m.

Your response was a lot nicer then mine although I was thinking most of the same things.   Except I don't think TT is in the same position Hayes was (big two-way second line center who gets his 50 points) or even Krieder (speedster who gets his goals).  Both these guys were very overpaid, not really the norm for UFAs.   

Absolutely agree with AP though.   A defenseman like that in his prime often have their best seasons in their 30-33 range...St Louis might get a discount but nobody else will.   9 x 7 might do it, but he will probably get 8 x 8 and stay. 

3 hours ago, Jayinblack said:

How is it misleading... the chart is "while playing as a rookie"  which includes the end of last season.  The counts for the others include those extra games as well (another version i saw had 85 games for someone)

Some players stats are for rookie seasons only some are rookie plus previous season. 

It's not even for all players. 

The average fan could be mislead easily thinking that's for 1 season as rookie..  " while playing as a rookie" presumes  everyone reading knows the NHL CBA regarding how many games you can play and still be considered a rookie. Or it mis leads by suggesting that it's a stat for defenceman rookie seasons..

I read many posts on here every day.. a lot more than I post... Most ppl don't know simple things regarding CBA let alone something like this. 

Hughes, Chelios and Leetch have played more than one season..

Not bad idea to clarify for ppl. 

Typo

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Demko is getting on a roll. The net is his......until Markstrom comes back.

L, W, L, W...

Isn't there a rule on Rolls? lol Let's not get carried away now. 

He looked good last night. He might be settling in for the long haul right now. But to have your emotions so high that you think after a win, it's start of some roll? That's tooo much. If he doesn't win tmrw night you will be calling for his head. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Maybe, maybe not.   Markstrom was when he was drafted considered a sure thing and for several years after ranked at or near the top for goalie prospects.   Maybe his size and the fact back then big goalies were the new next thing in goaltending (Rinne and Bishop) had something to do with it, and that it hid some of his flaws at the next level (it's hard to score when half the net is covered up with goalie and equipment).

The truth is Demko is definitely ahead of Markstrom at the same age, and well he has size advantage too (I've met him and he's a tall guy, no exaggeration there, taller then Luongo).

Out out seven games he's posted two just below .900, two at .909, plus .918 (win), .923 (loss) and .925 (win).   That's not too shabby.   Markstrom is peaking and it would be foolish to go with an unknown at this time, but I wouldn't mind either way (both have their advantages).  Just thankful we've got two capable guys ... we definitely need strong goaltending as the team matures. 

isn't demko is 6'4" and markstrom is 6'6"

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Your response was a lot nicer then mine although I was thinking most of the same things.   Except I don't think TT is in the same position Hayes was (big two-way second line center who gets his 50 points) or even Krieder (speedster who gets his goals).  Both these guys were very overpaid, not really the norm for UFAs.   

Absolutely agree with AP though.   A defenseman like that in his prime often have their best seasons in their 30-33 range...St Louis might get a discount but nobody else will.   9 x 7 might do it, but he will probably get 8 x 8 and stay. 

Haha...yeah I've been trying to be nicer on here. I didn't necessarily mean that Toffolli is a similar player to Hayes/Kreider just the same age and place in their careers. I do think Hayes is overpaid and the jury is still out on Kreider but as I mentioned in another thread there are GM's out there that will offer TT 6-7 years at $7m. The likely offers will come from Bergevin, Sakic, Guerin and possibly Botterill and Poile. If the Canucks are offering less term AND AAV then I don't know if TT takes the "hometown" discount in a home he's barely been in.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

L, W, L, W...

Isn't there a rule on Rolls? lol Let's not get carried away now. 

He looked good last night. He might be settling in for the long haul right now. But to have your emotions so high that you think after a win, it's start of some roll? That's tooo much. If he doesn't win tmrw night you will be calling for his head. 

I think you'll be calling for his head before I do. He played a solid game and kept the team in it. Not really an emotional statement as much as a statement that Demko has worked through the kinks and is looking pretty solid.

• Vintage 1

Just now, GritGrinder said:

Haha...yeah I've been trying to be nicer on here. I didn't necessarily mean that Toffolli is a similar player to Hayes/Kreider just the same age and place in their careers. I do think Hayes is overpaid and the jury is still out on Kreider but as I mentioned in another thread there are GM's out there that will offer TT 6-7 years at $7m. The likely offers will come from Bergevin, Sakic, Guerin and possibly Botterill and Poile. If the Canucks are offering less term AND AAV then I don't know if TT takes the "hometown" discount in a home he's barely been in.

Yeah me too (on the one or hopefully three month "hometown discount".   But I think Hayes was a terrible signing, same with Duchene, same with Skinner and I hope JB doesn't bother if that's the cost.  

So do we see Domingue in one of the next 2 or does Demko start in back-to-backs? And if so which game does he get? You'd figure they would start him against the Coyotes, they are a former team and the likely "easier" opponent. Although with the Canucks losing to Arizona and beating Colorado just last week who's to say who would be the better choice for LD to start against. Just go Demko in both and if he tires out and breaks down against a depleted Avalanche squad and loses then CDC will have plenty of fodder to go after Green, Benning etc. 

1 minute ago, GritGrinder said:

So do we see Domingue in one of the next 2 or does Demko start in back-to-backs? And if so which game does he get? You'd figure they would start him against the Coyotes, they are a former team and the likely "easier" opponent. Although with the Canucks losing to Arizona and beating Colorado just last week who's to say who would be the better choice for LD to start against. Just go Demko in both and if he tires out and breaks down against a depleted Avalanche squad and loses then CDC will have plenty of fodder to go after Green, Benning etc. 

Well hopefully Markstrom is back in time since he is skating. Although realistically he'll be out for a while still.

I'd say you give a game to each tender, especially when the Nucks are giving up 30+(45+ last night) shots a game. Thats a heavy workload you should split if possible. With that said I'd give Domingue the Yotes game. Goalies usually like to play their old teams plus I feel they are the weaker of the 2 teams in the back to back.

4 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The wild inconsistency from game to game and even call to non call by officials is becoming such a huge issue in the NHL. It happens to most teams at one time or another of course but certain teams seem to be able to get away with a lot more.

The picks and interference they were in prime position to see and still chose to not call were an embarrassment imo. Its like they are mandated to keep games close for entertainment value. And i am the last person who believes in reffing conspiracies. But at the very least they are managing the game and are incompetent.

Personally, I think they want Isles to make the playoffs. Way more revenue when a big market team makes it. 

That last interference should be an automatic call. D man took 2 steps to the inside and was draped all over (Motte?) when he was going in on the forecheck. 

Much more blatant than the Gaudette slash

Great game to watch but our team defense is just atrocious! 

If we give up this much to a Colorado or Blues or Vegas we’ll be getting spanked.  

Fanta was particularly bad tonight.  

I wasn’t a big fan of having Pearson out on the PK. It will be good to get Beagle back.  

Zack’s looking better with each passing game. While it would be nice to sit Sutter in his favour, I don’t think that Green will do that. Virtanen and Brock would add so much flexibility to our lineup if one of them took up the PK craft