The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nova Scotia shooter dead after killing 22 people/CDN Govt "assault style" weapons ban.

nuckin_futz

24 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

https://www.thecutbanksconversations.ca/just-an-opinion/butits-just-assault-rifles?fbclid=IwAR1-VH7LHMYzFqZ-nIYvgoMoQTdZrmFmvG_LVa8iL36hzDD0P8_fat8rias

Decent article by a BC resident not sure if I’m supposed to copy/paste or just post the link via forum rules... I don’t usually link articles. 

An article, or a blog by a guy from Prince George? Hard to tell....

Anyway, he's just expressing the same opinions as the pro-gun folks ITT. Some fair points I suppose, but pure opinion and nothing new. I'm guessing you posted it because he's from BC?

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Anyway, he's just expressing the same opinions as the pro-gun folks ITT. Some fair points I suppose, but pure opinion and nothing new. I'm guessing you posted it because he's from BC?

No I posted it because it popped up on my Facebook page and I thought it was well presented.  I actually wasn’t aware of the 24 hour pal check but I’m sure you were. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Geez sounds like the governments pov but of course when they say it you take it as the gospel. 

Interesting enough when it's American politics you act in a different way.

I think it's safe to say no one should listen to anything you have to say.

Just my opinion. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Geez sounds like the governments pov but of course when they say it you take it as the gospel. 

Interesting enough when it's American politics you act in a different way.

I think it's safe to say no one should listen to anything you have to say.

Just my opinion. 

You don't see American politics in a different way? 

You see their society in a different way as you point out may times when discussing gun crime.

I find America and the way they conduct their politics quite different. Canada is starting to look like it in some ways. Sad to say that, imo,  a lot of US- like attitude and displays seem to originate out of AB. 

But Canada's overall response to covid alone shows the difference, our leader has responded well as has our society when compared to the states. 

21 hours ago, Toews said:

Its the job of the courts to interpret the law. Words can have multiple definitions, that doesn't mean that you can claim that something is violation of the law/civil rights if it doesn't meet the intent of the law. The intent of the law was never to prosecute those who mistakenly use the incorrect pronoun. Courts also rely on precedent and there is no precedent to make such a claim.

The intent of the law was to go after people who will harass the LGBTQ community, so unless you are a massive a-hole and love to throw your beliefs in front of people to denigrate them, you are safe from prosecution.

Sure... But it does waste an awful lot of court/tribunal time, tax dollars and unnecessarily cause distress and occasionally, harassment, to otherwise innocent people who get accused by people like that teenage girl stocking waste of skin that wanted attention and money for not being able to get her male genitalia waxed last year.

It's also has the unfortunate side effect of basically eliminating any intelligent debate on any remotely controversial subject from college campuses (nevermind general public discourse). More the pity at our places of 'higher education' because that should be EXACTLY the place to debate difficult ideas/subjects and learn to think critically about them.

It's lead to a society that kowtow's to idiots rather than suffer the harassment and 'cancelling' etc they claim to have been defending in the first place.

It's idiotic and frequently as anti science as the right is (rightly) accused of.

Edited by aGENT

15 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm so sick of the "criminals don't use legal guns" chestnut.  It's tired and old and should be banned along with the guns.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm so sick of the "criminals don't use legal guns" chestnut.  It's tired and old and should be banned along with the guns.

That was the line that got my attention as well. I didn't see anything in the article that hadn't been beaten to death already, which is why I wondered what the point was.

Apparently, some feeling were hurt....:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That was the line that got my attention as well. I didn't see anything in the article that hadn't been beaten to death already, which is why I wondered what the point was.

Apparently, some feeling were hurt....:rolleyes:

It's the new "it's just a flu"

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

You don't see American politics in a different way? 

You see their society in a different way as you point out may times when discussing gun crime.

I find America and the way they conduct their politics quite different. Canada is starting to look like it in some ways. Sad to say that, imo,  a lot of US- like attitude and displays seem to originate out of AB. 

But Canada's overall response to covid alone shows the difference, our leader has responded well as has our society when compared to the states. 

Wasn't my point.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I'm curious and maybe someone opposed to this ban can clear up for me........how does the ban stop you from hunting?

It doesn't.  It just stops people from having assault style guns   in their basements that they can show off to their friends........

Unfortunately  some people never grow up. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Of course you are it doesn't fit your narrative.

13 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

It doesn't.  It just stops people from having assault style guns   in their basements that they can show off to their friends........

Unfortunately  some people never grow up. 

Still waiting for the definition of assault style.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Wasn't my point.

I took is as you were criticising a poster for trusting the Canadian government opinions but not the US ones, and reacting differently to them.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification. 

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

Sure... But it does waste an awful lot of court/tribunal time, tax dollars and unnecessarily cause distress and occasionally, harassment, to otherwise innocent people who get accused by people like that teenage girl stocking waste of skin that wanted attention and money for not being able to get her male genitalia waxed last year.

It's also has the unfortunate side effect of basically eliminating any intelligent debate on any remotely controversial subject from college campuses (nevermind general public discourse). More the pity at our places of 'higher education' because that should be EXACTLY the place to debate difficult ideas/subjects and learn to think critically about them.

It's lead to a society that kowtow's to idiots rather than suffer the harassment and 'cancelling' etc they claim to have been defending in the first place.

It's idiotic and frequently as anti science as the right is (rightly) accused of.

Unfortunately super left people can call Right-winged speakers, lets say like a Jordan Peterson(probably more libertarian than right) or a Ben Shapiro, people who promote hate speech, when in reality they both have stated separately that open dialogue and how they act in the real world is entirely different. For example, Peterson was asked once that if he had a transgender female as a student, with him being a professor, would he refer to her as a female and he said yes. Shapiro said something along the lines as if he went out to dinner with a trans female he would refer to them as female. I don't agree with everything they say, well with Peterson I agree a bit more(I think as a dude who helps men out he's an amazing speaker), but what they say shouldn't be considered hateful or what not when they're just having an opinion under open dialogue.

That's where cancel culture does it bad. When in that sort of hypothetical I stated with the pastor they can do good.

That's what worries me a little about the subjectivity on these laws on speech. Could they be used in a way that prevents dialogue by the super left or to be abused wrongfully? Most campuses are left already. Mainly though, as I have stated, I just don't see the point given where we are and how far we've come as a society. I have a lot of faith in society getting better and more accepting, there's evidence that we're ever-changing for the better. We live in the best era period where race, gender, whether your straight/gay/trans, has the most minimal effect and how far you can go as an individual. The onus is on you and you couldn't say the more you travel through the past. 

I feel like a more libertarian approach socially is how I view things should be and how things essentially are already but these laws are a step away from that.

• Cheers 2

43 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

That's where cancel culture does it bad. 

Basically. There's a point where you become as bad as what you were defending yourself from in the first place. Two wrongs don't make a right.

7 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm curious and maybe someone opposed to this ban can clear up for me........how does the ban stop you from hunting?

Many people do hunt with semi-auto.  It's actually better at times as they generally have less recoil and it's easier to fire off more shots to ensure a swifter result.  

Many "hunting rifles" are semi-auto.

Wallpaper USA, rifle, M14 images for desktop, section оружие ...

Plus the list has been expanded to include actual rifles people uses for long-distance shooting competition and hunting.  The one shot, manual reload rifles.  

Then the legislation also now includes many shotguns too.

So yeah, this list is very very broad.  When even websites, coffees and some airsoft guns are on the list to be "banned".... there's a big problem.