The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Russo: Wild GM Guerin is actively shopping RHD Matt Dumba

Ilya Mikheyev

If Guerin opts to keep his top-four D intact, he’ll either have to expose defenseman Matt Dumba, protect eight skaters (likely four forwards and four defensemen) or make a deal with the Kraken to not select Dumba.

So the irony of Brodin signing through the 2027-28 season is this very well could lead to an eventual trade of Brodin’s best buddy and longtime teammate.

Well, as reported Sept. 9, sources have told The Athletic that Guerin has not only gotten a lot of calls on Dumba this offseason, he has even actively shopped him. That seemed to indicate a Brodin contract extension was in the works, and Brodin did confirm Tuesday that contract talks began almost immediately after the Wild returned from the Edmonton bubble more than a month ago when Guerin told him how much he wanted to immediately secure his future.

If Dumba’s the type of right-shot, hard-shooting defenseman that could lure a top-six forward — preferably a center — in return, Guerin may be enticed to trade the four-time double-digit goal-scorer and recent King Clancy Trophy winner for his humanitarianism.

When asked Tuesday if the Brodin extension now could lead to trading a defenseman, Guerin said, “We could always think about doing that, but we’re really happy with our D corps the way it is. Not saying I won’t try to do anything else.

Remember, when Guerin insinuates that he could trade a defenseman, Dumba is the only top-four defenseman without any sort of contract protection. Until a 10-team no-trade clause kicks in before the 2021-22 season, Dumba can be traded to any of the other 30 teams in the NHL.

Remember, too, Kevin Fiala and Kirill Kaprizov are both going to warrant handsome new contracts by next offseason and the Wild may look at extending the contract of Marcus Foligno. So Guerin may want to redistribute the salary cap pie a bit and use Dumba to snag somebody (or somebodies) of substance up front.

When the New York Islanders’ season ends, Guerin could and probably will revisit the Zach Parise trade that fell through at the last minute in February. Whether or not Islanders GM Lou Lamoriello is still interested remains to be seen.

Starting on Sept. 25, the NHL’s first buyout window opens and lasts until Oct. 8. Options to buy out if they’re not traded could include goalie Devan Dubnyk and center Victor Rask.

There’s no doubt Guerin will attempt this offseason to improve the Wild both up the middle and in goal via external options.

Source: https://theathletic.com/2069221/2020/09/15/jonas-brodin-contract-extension-matt-dumba-trade-wild-offseason/

Interesting.

We have 3 spots.

I think Juolevi requires protection. 

Edler will be a UFA. So we aren't going to need to protect him assuming Seattle doesn't pick a pending UFA.

Tanev will need protection if brought back. If not, we can protect Myers.

If we acquire Dumba, we should be able to protect him from Seattle.

2 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

nah barries 29 and i just dont think it'd be a great signing, his defence is total sh!t.

it is but so is Dumba's. But if for some reason Benning is desperate for a PMD I'd rather have Barrie for free than Dumba for assets. I don't really want either tbh.

• Cheers 2

Just now, EP40. said:

Huh, isn’t this a Dumba thread?

I would love to get Dumba, a true modern day 2way defenseman.

Unlike Barrie who sucks in his own end and would cost more $. Now clue why anyone would take that over a premier dman like Matt Dumba!

You think Minny is gonna trade Dumba to us after what just happened.

No way we get him unless we overpay big time.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You think Minny is gonna trade Dumba to us after what just happened.

No way we get him unless we overpay big time.

Oh, I didn’t mean $ in the sense of what it’d take but salary.

As for trade price, would be mutually beneficial for both sides in a hypothetical Brock-for-Dumba deal. Occasional inter division trades do happen and if there’s a time more than ever they’d happen again, it’s now with COVID/flat cap/expansion draft on horizon, especially when it fits both teams needs and would be a hometown kid going the other way...now I’m not saying we should or shouldn’t do that, just the hypothetical.

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

or Barrie at 5 AAV?

The problem with both Barrie and Dumba is that they need a stable D-partner which the Canucks can't offer.

Dumba is going to pinch at inopportune times but Brodin is such an elite skater that he can cover for him and get back in time.  Suter used to play with Dumba but he has lost a step since his ankle injury and his skating is no longer good enough.  They were re-united earlier this season after Spurgeon's injury and it was a complete mess.

This could turn out pretty bad for Vancouver especially if they let Markstrom go and Demko can't provide Markstrom's elite goal tending.  

I was listening to a segment on TSN 1040 the other day and it really feels like Vancouver media has built up this false idea that Dumba is a reliable two-way D when that's far from reality.  Dumba can be so frustrating as he is going to shoot at every opportunity and often it means losing possession and the puck going the other way.  I don't like the fit at all for Vancouver.  

Find it also pretty dumb for the Wild as they should get a C in return.  Moving on from Dumba is not the issue - they have Addison coming.  It's more the return where they are crowded on the wings and have no legit top-6 C once Staal's deal expires - he'll also be 36 next month.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Hmmm shopped RHD....

Would you rather

Dumba

or

Subban

Subban wouldn’t cost you anything in trade unless they retained significant salary.

If Jersey wanted some younger pieces, took Loui back, and were willing to retain enough salary to make it a wash... that is a far preferable option to losing Boeser for Dumba.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3