The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Lebrun: Shayne Gotisbehere available for trade, according to multiple sources

Ilya Mikheyev

Shayne Gostisbehere is available for trade, multiple sources around the league told me over the weekend. Which isn’t totally shocking, but what’s funny in a way that for all the trade rumours linked to him in the past, this is really the first time the Flyers have shown a serious willingness to move him if they get the right offer.

The 27-year-old blueliner has three more years on his deal at a $4.5 million cap hit, although the cash payout is $3.25 million per season from here on out because it was a front-loaded deal. That might be appealing to some teams.

He screams change of scenery, that’s for sure. And it appears he may get one.

- Pierre Lebrun

Seems like the kind of player the Canucks would be sniffing around. I wouldn't mind Ghost, the problem is the Flyers would likely be asking for a Boeser type return, and I'm not one of the ones super keen on dealing him, so if we do I'd like a D closer in age.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, Bitter Melon said:

Seems like the kind of player the Canucks would be sniffing around. I wouldn't mind Ghost, the problem is the Flyers would likely be asking for a Boeser type return, and I'm not one of the ones super keen on dealing him, so if we do I'd like a D closer in age.

pre-Hughes I'd agree with you, but I think Benning is going to look to develop this kind of player out of Juolevi or Rathbone. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, EP40. said:

Poor guy,

AV’s doghouse effect lol

lol lol.

When you lead your team in ozone starts, are second on your blueline (to Provorov) in powerplay ice time, are playing more than 18 minutes a night, and you produce 12 pts in 42 games...

'poor guy.'

of course - that is the coaches' fault.   

To LA for 'future considerations'.

• Wat 2

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

lol lol.

When you lead your team in ozone starts, are second on your blueline (to Provorov) in powerplay ice time, are playing more than 18 minutes a night, and you produce 12 pts in 42 games...

'poor guy.'

of course - that is the coaches' fault.   

To LA for 'future considerations'.

do you really think he's fallen to 'cap dump' status? wow. Thats a long way down. 

3 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

do you really think he's fallen to 'cap dump' status? wow. Thats a long way down. 

it depends what you mean by 'cap dump.'

people around here - a lot of them - referred to Miller as a cap dump.

my take on cap dumps is that they tend to cost assets to move.

SG's last season may be 'cap dump' level performance - but he may have/probably has relatively neutral value by virtue of his past / fresh start potential - so I don't see him clearly on either side of that spectrum, although it might not be the best time to move underperforming cap - so we'll see where the market falls.   Were there mitigating factors to his performance this season?  Don't appear to be, but who knows other than himself, AV and others close to him.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

SG's last season may be 'cap dump' level performance - but he may have/probably has relatively neutral value by virtue of his past / fresh start potential - so I don't see him clearly on either side of that spectrum, although it might not be the best time to move underperforming cap - so we'll see where the market falls.   Were there mitigating factors to his performance this season?  Don't appear to be, but who knows other than himself, AV and others close to him.

makes sense from that pov. I'd guess its the complete lack of physically and his defensive weaknesses that have got him on the block, and his offence falling off a cliff. He did have surgery and came back too early this year so that maybe accounts for the offensive drop off. LA makes sense tho, watch him get traded for Madden or our 2nd :lol:

They are going to be hard pressed to get a return with Barrie available as a UFA if a team needs that sort of D.  I take Barrie as a rehab project before I take a flyer on Ghost, but I don’t think either of them is a great fit.

Maybe a plan B for teams if they can’t get a guy for free.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I would not trade for Gostisbehere 27, 5'11 has offensive side Flyers would want a top 6 forward back so  would not make trade..

I would rather chase Cernak 23, 6'3 Tampa -- Risto 25, 6'4 - Buffalo - plays big mins on very poor defence style team,,This guy would look great..

Severson 26, 6'1 New Jersey -- Barrie , 29 - 5'10 UFA might sign 3.7 million X 1 yr show you more deal, Home discount..Would be short deal with his age we don't want to lock in..Most 1 yr X 3.4 -- 3.8 - 1 year show NHL teams how good I can be...

There will be deals out there no rushing and paying over value....

Edited by wildcam
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I would not trade for Gostisbehere 27, 5'11 has offensive side Flyers would want a top 6 forward back so  would not make trade..

I would rather chase Cernak 23, 6'3 Tampa -- Risto 25, 6'4 - Buffalo - plays big mins on very poor defence style team,,This guy would look great..

Severson 26, 6'1 New Jersey -- Barrie , 29 - 5'10 UFA might sign 3.7 million X 1 yr show you more deal, Home discount..Would be short deal with his age we don't want to lock in..Most 1 yr X 3.4 -- 3.8 - 1 year show NHL teams how good I can be...

There all be deals out there no rush and paying over value....

Of all those, I believe Barrie is the target for JB. Agree or disagree a show me deal for a wilted player works for the team and avoids expansion draft protection. Barrie has shown interest in coming home. JB has shown interest in trading for him last draft. No Tanev re-signing on the right side. Not difficult to read the tea leaves here.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, wildcam said:

There all be deals out there no rush and paying over value....

No to Risto, he's doesn't impress me. Would love Cernak and trading a first for the following year would be worth it imho.

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Of all those, I believe Barrie is the target for JB. Agree or disagree a show me deal for a wilted player works for the team and avoids expansion draft protection. Barrie has shown interest in coming home. JB has shown interest in trading for him last draft. No Tanev re-signing on the right side. Not difficult to read the tea leaves here.

I agree.  Barrie and Van have been linked for some time.  I recall an interview from about 5 years back in Van...  said he’d love to be a Canuck one day. He wasn’t a good fit in Tor.  They didn’t have a good D partner to deflect his deficiencies.  I personally think he’d be a solid fit beside Edler. 

Say what you want, but the kid can still provide a massive offensive boost from the back end. Over 4 of his last 6 seasons, he’s scored 12-14 goals/season and averaged around 50 points.  Also      He still skates well, has a good shot, and gives us a RH one timer option on either PP.   If he’s open to a one year show me deal, it’s a no brainer move imo.  But personally I think they’ll give up term if he’s willing to keep the cap hit lower. 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, rekker said:

If we have a chance to get Barrie for 1 x 4, we need to be all over it.  He would be a massive upgrade over Stecher.  I get he had a down year last year, and wa on the Leafs, but he was still going to be at 44-48 points on the year.  We need more offense from our D, and Barrie would take care of that.  I'm a real big fan of tearing down our D and rebuilding it.

Sign Barrie 1 x4

Sign Dillon 2 x 4

Trade Futures (heavy cost) for Cernak

Walk from Tanev, Fantenberg

Trade Benn and Stecher

Edler Barrie

Hugher Cernak

Dillon Meyers

Rafferty/Joulevi/Rathbone

Much Bigger D with way more offence.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, BCNate said:

If we have a chance to get Barrie for 1 x 4, we need to be all over it.  He would be a massive upgrade over Stecher.  I get he had a down year last year, and wa on the Leafs, but he was still going to be at 44-48 points on the year.  We need more offense from our D, and Barrie would take care of that.  I'm a real big fan of tearing down our D and rebuilding it.

Sign Barrie 1 x4

Sign Dillon 2 x 4

Trade Benn and Stecher

Edler Barrie

Hugher Cernak

Dillon Meyers

That sounds amazing, but there will be 29 other teams competing with us for Cernak. He’ll fetch a pretty penny from someone as compensation to Tampa. 

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

lol yeah, some people still refer to Miller as a cap dump. It cracks me up.

Honestly, I would love to go after one of Tampa's "cap dump" of their primed assets this offseason again.

I assume they will try to deal one of Palat, Gourde, Johnson, and Killorn up front to be able to re-sign Cernak, Sergachev, and other defencemen.

Killorn would be a nice fit on our 2nd line or even our 3rd line. He's older but has only 3 years left on his deal. But we probably won't have the cap space this time. Some other lucky team is going to get "cap dumped" this time :p

As for Gotisbehere, I don't think he is the the type of defenceman we need. 

20 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Sign Barrie 1 x4

Sign Dillon 2 x 4

Trade Benn and Stecher

Edler Barrie

Hugher Cernak

Dillon Meyers

Barrie for 4 mil for 1 year? Well, yes, that's a bargain.

But Stecher is a better defender than Barrie. But for 1 year deal, yeah why not?

No way Tampa trades Cernak? They will deal one of their forwards to make room to sign Sergachev and Cernak.

4 minutes ago, khay said:

Barrie for 4 mil for 1 year? Well, yes, that's a bargain.

But Stecher is a better defender than Barrie. But for 1 year deal, yeah why not?

No way Tampa trades Cernak? They will deal one of their forwards to make room to sign Sergachev and Cernak.

They will have a real hard time keeping both d.  I know they want to,  but they in in real tight with cap space and nmcs.

Probably not a fit for Vancouver.

While undoubtedly, the Canucks could use some upgrades to their puck moving ability on the backend, they also need to upgrade their in-zone defense, and in that area, especially when it comes to defending the cycle, “Ghost” more than earns his nickname.

He’s pretty much a disembodied spirit when it comes to in-zone defense. Puck carriers can see something is trying to defend them, but when they move to make a play, they somehow pass right through like Ghost isn’t even there. Spooky stuff.

• Haha 3