The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

The mic'd up stuff was great. "Want a hug?" To the ref. funny guy. He's earning points back with the refs slowly. Watching that video shows me why I like wearing his jersey to games. He never shuts up, and he's a positive team guy. Great for team morale, he's enthusiastic, works hard and does a lot of good things on the ice. If he plays his whole career here, and bieksa may fall into this category too, Ring of Honour material. He's no superstar by any means but he's a great glue guy.

• Upvote 1

Missed the start. Something about a bus almost crashing into my place and being evacuated all day.

My only concern? Better get power back up by 7. Took them 10 hours of working on things...was quite a deal.

So thanks VC...HATE missing a goal by our Burr.

Another complete game by Burrows... Goal, assist, hits, Pk, aggravated the Penguins all night and got them off their game and taking penalties.

Got the Sedins back into their grove, if you want a line to start rolling, put Burrows on it.

Really happy to see him contributing again like he can... he deserves the 'A' on his jersey.

With Vbrata and the Sedins clicking the only logic I see Burrows being put on the 1st line is too show him off in an attempt to get rid of him at the trade deadline. The second line with Vbrata is medicore at best and the only bright spot is Mathhias. If this shows anything its that the Sedins can make any one into a bonafide scorer.

Edited by SAMCROringal

With Vbrata and the Sedins clicking the only logic I see Burrows being put on the 1st line is too show him off in an attempt to get rid of him at the trade deadline. The second line with Vbrata is medicore at best and the only bright spot is Mathhias. If this shows anything its that the Sedins can make any one into a bonafide scorer i.e Bryon Bitz

Nobody is trading Burrows... he is the spark for the team right now.

And if he's such a plug... how did he put up the numbers he did, when others couldn't...

Basically your post is a bunch of bad tempered hot air.

• Upvote 2

Nobody is trading Burrows... he is the spark for the team right now.

And if he's such a plug... how did he put up the numbers he did, when others couldn't...

Basically your post is a bunch of bad tempered hot air.

Burrows without the Sedins doesn't score the 5 million dollar contract. Burrows with Kesler scores you a 2.5 million dollar contract. I think the logic is pretty simple... Burrows does have a lot more chemistry than previous players with the Sedins but he was gifted with the fact of being on their line when they were in their prime.

• Upvote 1

Burrows is the smartest hockey player on the Canucks. As suggested above he plays a complete game. His ice vision is excellent. He can shift his game to meet the team need. His set up of Daniel last night was a classic example. Who needed that open net more? His tip in goal came from where everyone says it has to happen for a successful team. Burrows-Dorsett-Horvat were the Canuck stars last night IMO.

Burrows is one of the few vets on this roster, Hamhuis the other, who I would regret seeing traded. Burrows should be the captain of this team. He chips in with regular points, leds a top notch PK, can be physical and most important works every shift. I would also give Dorsett a "A".

Burrows without the Sedins doesn't score the 5 million dollar contract. Burrows with Kesler scores you a 2.5 million dollar contract. I think the logic is pretty simple... Burrows does have a lot more chemistry than previous players with the Sedins but he was gifted with the fact of being on their line when they were in their prime.

you underrate burrows

he is paid based on his production

others were not able to produce and read the sedins' game like he was

he fit the role so well for so long

that is reality

your perspective is completely hypothetical

I will never forget the situation the Canucks were in when Burrows and Kesler first broke in. Those two led the Canucks back to respectability IMHO. It was not the Twins or Naslund. I am not suggesting that they were not good players but the game goes far beyond point production when it comes to winning. Other players I ranked in the same way were Willie Mitchell and Manny Malholtra.

The really special thing about Burrows is his total dedication to the team. When he passed the puck over to Daniel last night instead of taking the back hand shot was it because he saw a bigger benefit to Danny scoring than himself? I have no doubt that was what he was thinking. When he was arguably a key part of the 1st line years ago he took a home town discount at $2.5 mil/year so that Gillis had enough CAP to acquire players for a serious CUP challenge. He could have got double that.

When Stevie Y was putting Canada's World Cup team together who did he pick but Alex Burrows. He takes a serious hit in that tourney and yet came back to be a leader. Last year through all his injuries and point drought he did not complain. Last night after leading his team to victory and not even getting a star recognition he gives all the credit to the Twins.

Burrows signed for less on his previous contract so the team would have cap room to keep the core together. At the time he was rebuffed for saying so. The team paid him back on the value of this contract.

And the Sedins don't become the Sedins with 7 million dollar contract without:

1. AV's coaching system where the Sedins get almost every shift after an icing, PP and offenzive zone faceoffs
  2. Ryan Kesler starting almost every defensive zone starts so that the Sedins can get their o-zone starts
  3. Christian Ehrhoff and Sami Salo's slap shots and Ryan Kesler's net front presence
  4. Alex Burrows's net front presence, forechecking and recovering the puck on dump ins

The 2009-2012 Vancouver Canucks were designed to make the Sedins superstars in this league under AV's system

No player does it on his own and everyone needs someone else in one way or another to take their game to the next level. Alex Burrows benefited greatly from having the opportunity to play with the Sedins, but he became a great player for us in his own right over the years. So many clutch goals and memories - you can't mention the success of the Vancouver Canucks in the Sedin era without uttering Burrows's name at least a few times

Another complete game by Burrows... Goal, assist, hits, Pk, aggravated the Penguins all night and got them off their game and taking penalties.

Got the Sedins back into their grove, if you want a line to start rolling, put Burrows on it.

Really happy to see him contributing again like he can... he deserves the 'A' on his jersey.

agreed, but he might also bring back a pretty good return in a trade.