The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

10 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

One thing that's got me wondering: Twice now, Euron has caught our heroes with their pants down. How does he know when and where Danys ships are going to be? Seems like there's a spy in her midst.

Because the writers suck, thats why (not GRRM, but the show writers). They change characters to appeal to masses and take away from the context of the story. Like Melissandre, Euron has special abilities. He is a green-seer in the books ( what Jojen was in the show). He also learnt magic in Asshai ( which is the city of magic in the GRRM universe) and has cast special spells on his ship that allows him to sail the smoking sea ( Jorah moront, when he captured Tyrion in the books, didn't sail into the heart of the smoking sea, where Valyria is, but skirted its northern edge). This is *huge* in the books for his dominating presence amongst the Iron islanders the moment he shows up and kills Balon - he is the only man known since doom of Valyria to sail into Valyria and not die ( the books mention that some Targaryen king tried hundred or so years ago, with a massive flotilla and nobody heard from a single man on those ships ever again). And Euron has a presence to match his special skills - he is a man of VERY few words, but commanding, sinister presence that scares grown pirates into unease. 
Think of Jaffar from Aladin + magic abilities. Thats Euron. Book Euron could concievably pull this off. Show Euron is basically a cross between Stiffler, pirate and a crackhead. So it doesn't make sense. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Because the writers suck, thats why (not GRRM, but the show writers). They change characters to appeal to masses and take away from the context of the story. Like Melissandre, Euron has special abilities. He is a green-seer in the books ( what Jojen was in the show). He also learnt magic in Asshai ( which is the city of magic in the GRRM universe) and has cast special spells on his ship that allows him to sail the smoking sea ( Jorah moront, when he captured Tyrion in the books, didn't sail into the heart of the smoking sea, where Valyria is, but skirted its northern edge). This is *huge* in the books for his dominating presence amongst the Iron islanders the moment he shows up and kills Balon - he is the only man known since doom of Valyria to sail into Valyria and not die ( the books mention that some Targaryen king tried hundred or so years ago, with a massive flotilla and nobody heard from a single man on those ships ever again). And Euron has a presence to match his special skills - he is a man of VERY few words, but commanding, sinister presence that scares grown pirates into unease. 
Think of Jaffar from Aladin + magic abilities. Thats Euron. Book Euron could concievably pull this off. Show Euron is basically a cross between Stiffler, pirate and a crackhead. So it doesn't make sense. 

I would be ok if GRRM did a complete 180 from the show and had a completely different ending.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Actually, I remember all that from the books. I also remember Euron bringing a Dragon Horn (that he claimed he found in the ruins of Valyria) to the Kings Moot.

That being said, I don't recall any mention of Euron's "abilities" being made in the TV series. It seemed to me that D & D have skipped that plotline entirely. Same with bringing down the Wall. It's entirely possible that Uncle George will use a Zombie Dragon as well, but I'm kind of hoping that the Horn of Joramun makes an appearance...

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

GRMM's most genius decision ever might be in allowing the showrunners to overtake the books. The subpar quality (not saying bad, just bad in relation to GRMM) will now make any additional books that come even more greatly appreciated. 

Been trying to get this point across to my friends that are upset about the delay of the books.  Easier to top the competition after seeing their results. 

Speaking of Greensight.....

Maybe Bran could've mentioned to Tyrion, "Oh by the way, Euron is sailing to Dragonstone with a bunch of Dragon Harpoons on his ships, best be careful..." Instead, he's all "Did you know this is the same wheelchair used by a Targ 200 years ago? I'm thinking of getting some personalized plates for it. What do you think of 3IDRVN?"...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Speaking of Greensight.....

Maybe Bran could've mentioned to Tyrion, "Oh by the way, Euron is sailing to Dragonstone with a bunch of Dragon Harpoons on his ships, best be careful..." Instead, he's all "Did you know this is the same wheelchair used by a Targ 200 years ago? I'm thinking of getting some personalized plates for it. What do you think of 3IDRVN?"...

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the 3 eyed raven does not meddle in human-human conflict

Edited by I.Am.Ironman

On 5/6/2019 at 1:08 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

One thing that's got me wondering: Twice now, Euron has caught our heroes with their pants down. How does he know when and where Danys ships are going to be? Seems like there's a spy in her midst.

Other problem is how the hell do you fly a dragon in the air and not be able to see boats in the distance and they pop out from around some rocks randomly after they have shot arrows.

I would have preferred HBO make a few more episodes for the last season.  The last episode seemed extremely rushed just to get to King's Landing.  Less character development.  Bronn seems to be gone so that's a waste of a good character.  

With more episode they could have better story telling.  And please get some war strategy help.  Cuz last fight was strategically bad.

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

All these Sansa can't keep a secret memes...  Did Tyrion not say he found out Jon wasn't a Stark from Bran?

No.  He said Jon wasn't a Stack because he's a bastard son.  That's why his last name is Snow.  Then Sansa told him the secret.

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

No.  He said Jon wasn't a Stack because he's a bastard son.  That's why his last name is Snow.  Then Sansa told him the secret.

He knew he was a bastard all the way back to season 1 - 'All dwarves are bastards in their father's eyes " or something like that, plus he'd still be a Stark per se as Ned's kid.  So I took it as "Your brother(Bran) once told me Jon wasn't a stark.'  I think Sansa just told him that he doesn't want to be king.  I think Bran wants it to be known (and if the leaked spoilers are any indication I see why) so I can see why he tell Tyrion.  Meh, either way this last season is a gong show with so many plot holes.

1 hour ago, BPA said:

I would have preferred HBO make a few more episodes for the last season.  The last episode seemed extremely rushed just to get to King's Landing.  Less character development.  Bronn seems to be gone so that's a waste of a good character.  

With more episode they could have better story telling.  And please get some war strategy help.  Cuz last fight was strategically bad.

They do this every time it seems. I'm going to expect it from here on out with any HBO show

21 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

"On the scale of Sansa to Ned Stark, how good are you at keeping a secret?"

lol..

Lol, another person good at keeping secrets was that executioner from season one with no tongue.

But seriously I always thought why Ned didn't tell Cat about Jon but now we know why, Westoros bitches are quick to become snitches.  

When Tyrion says the secret to Varys and Varys asks 'how many knows this?', Tyrion answers 'eight, including us'. This is actually incorrect. There are nine who know the secret. The 9th person who knows, is Howland Reed, Jojen and Mira's father. He is the only survivor apart from Ned Stark from the duel of Tower of Joy and he definitely would've known that Jon is Lyanna's son. In the show, he is the wounded guy who stabs the super-crazy knight with 2 swords ( i forget his name right now) in the back. 

Edited by canuckistani

21 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

When Tyrion says the secret to Varys and Varys asks 'how many knows this?', Tyrion answers 'eight, including us'. This is actually incorrect. There are nine who know the secret. The 9th person who knows, is Howland Reed, Jojen and Mira's father. He is the only survivor apart from Ned Stark from the duel of Tower of Joy and he definitely would've known that Jon is Lyanna's son. In the show, he is the wounded guy who stabs the super-crazy knight with 2 swords ( i forget his name right now) in the back. 

Ser Arthur Dayne, and that's a good point.  That Tower of Joy scene is still my favorite non battle/sex scene from the whole show, with Ser Pounce a close second.  I guess they're just going to forget about the Reed's at this point.

• Upvote 1