[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

On 1/27/2019 at 12:22 PM, coastal.view said:

hope not

we need to see the complete roster

so can assess how they really have done

and what holes still remain

also need to see what sort of money they have really spent

paying for player transfers on young players is more like calculated investments

if they select well they can move those players on for a profit

need to see what the salary values are this season

caps still need a striker, they have only aquired defenders, forward/midfielders and goalkeepers .....so they wont be done, they wanting some dude from iceland, but he wont like playing in bc place ( he hates that kinda surface ) and he declined offers from other places cause of it

• Upvote 1

Looks like one more signing is coming today or in the next 24 hours. I think it will be Erik Godoy. My question is has anyone heard any new rumors about strikers that could be signing here. Azmoun is going to Zenit and the Icelandic guy won't be coming here.

Edited by buddyguy

12 hours ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

caps still need a striker, they have only aquired defenders, forward/midfielders and goalkeepers .....so they wont be done, they wanting some dude from iceland, but he wont like playing in bc place ( he hates that kinda surface ) and he declined offers from other places cause of it

So another top player turns us down because we don’t have a proper field.  It’s not friggin’ rocket science to know having a turf field will hurt our team’s future.  Our government really messed up with the 500 million dollar Reno to BC place.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

So another top player turns us down because we don’t have a proper field.  It’s not friggin’ rocket science to know having a turf field will hurt our team’s future.  Our government really messed up with the 500 million dollar Reno to BC place.  

It was actually closer to a Billion dollars. However, for what, 35-40 Whitecap and BC Lion games, that natural turf would be destroyed by one Monster Truck event. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

It was actually closer to a Billion dollars. However, for what, 35-40 Whitecap and BC Lion games, that natural turf would be destroyed by one Monster Truck event. 

Maybe the Lions and the Caps need their own stadium, and leave BC place to the Monster Trucks?  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe the Lions and the Caps need their own stadium, and leave BC place to the Monster Trucks?  

The White Caps tried to build by the water and got turned down by a branch of the federal government.

I would not be surprised if both teams try to get a stadium built out towards Surrey.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

really doesnt imagine if we had grass, with how beautiful bc is, it would attract alot of good players, and we could afford it....just wish the owners of the caps would open there pockets and get a good playing surface, if only bc lion could move, and make bc place all grass would be great, god even bc lions could play on grass. ( can be place be renovated into grass? or not possible? )

13 hours ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

really doesnt imagine if we had grass, with how beautiful bc is, it would attract alot of good players, and we could afford it....just wish the owners of the caps would open there pockets and get a good playing surface, if only bc lion could move, and make bc place all grass would be great, god even bc lions could play on grass. ( can be place be renovated into grass? or not possible? )

Has nothing to do with the owners of the Caps or Lions. The province owns the stadium and they need more than a couple dozen home dates between those teams to pay the bills.  So it’s really more of a convention Centre with a turf field than a stadium.

The Caps owners were willing to build and pay for a natural turf outdoor stadium, but the ?!&$/ beaurocracy killed it. 

I have a tough time watching soccer played on concrete. Nothing looks natural. The turf is ugly and it affects the way the game is played. 

Edited by MJDDawg

Starting to really get excited about how this team is shaping up. The latest signing of Joaquin Ardaiz has incredible potential. Only a year or two ago, he was considered one of the top teenagers in the world, with some of the truly elite clubs in Europe expressing interest. 

And the rumours are looking legit that Fredy Montero will be soon announced as returning to VWFC.

Also Bryan Ruiz rumoured to be announced soon.

But I think the most exciting part is the high pedigree young players that are being added to the squad. This team is suddenly bursting with some serious potential, with several younger players joining the team that should be very exciting to watch.

Here’s an article on Ardaiz:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/whitecaps-fc-sign-joaquin-ardaiz-february-8-2019

Also, Erik Godoy has been confirmed:

https://www.eightysixforever.com/2019/2/8/18217659/vancouver-whitecaps-acquire-centre-back-erik-godoy-on-loan

I’ve been disappointed before, after getting psyched by new acquisitions heading into the season, but starting to get legitimately excited about this new squad and the start of the MDS era.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

13 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Starting to really get excited about how this team is shaping up. The latest signing of Joaquin Ardaiz has incredible potential. Only a year or two ago, he was considered one of the top teenagers in the world, with some of the truly elite clubs in Europe expressing interest. 

And according to the article you cited, the asking transfer fee at that time was around 25 million pounds.

So why is he now signing with a team in MLS?  Did something happen to him in the last year or two?

51 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

And according to the article you cited, the asking transfer fee at that time was around 25 million pounds.

So why is he now signing with a team in MLS?  Did something happen to him in the last year or two?

I don’t really know. He didn’t play a lot. And the knock on him is that he doesn’t pass, so maybe a tad selfish and needed to be taught some lessons and mature in his play? He’s also a flashy kid, with a bunch of bad hairstyles over the years and some highly visible tattoos, so maybe rubbed some of the old school management types the wrong way? It’s hard to say. Seems to have all the talent in the world and still only 20 years old. 

EDIT: The above is me looking for negatives. But from everything I’ve read (coming from people smarter than me, at least when it comes to footy), the Ardaiz acquisition is an absolute coup for VWFC.

Here’s a video where MDS talks about getting Ardaiz (and some nice highlights spliced in):

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1

A couple of decent names in the mix, and a couple of options that have potential they haven't hit yes, but all pretty athletic and skilled. That speed and attacking from the back mentality is definitely available with this lineup. Now, how they wrangled a few of these names is another question, but perhaps they're selling a fresh start, big roles and an opportunity to grow as a team for a championship. Will be interesting to see how they gel.

3 hours ago, elvis15 said:

A couple of decent names in the mix, and a couple of options that have potential they haven't hit yes, but all pretty athletic and skilled. That speed and attacking from the back mentality is definitely available with this lineup. Now, how they wrangled a few of these names is another question, but perhaps they're selling a fresh start, big roles and an opportunity to grow as a team for a championship. Will be interesting to see how they gel.

well i think they, and other teams, have seen how atlanta approached player acquisition

spend a bit of money in acquiring young talent with upside

develop them 2 or 3 years

and then flip them for increased transfer fees

become a bit of a development league for the wealthy european or other international teams

i think we'll see some atlanta talent sold over the next 2 or 3 years for more then they cost to acquire

On 2/10/2019 at 9:10 PM, coastal.view said:

well i think they, and other teams, have seen how atlanta approached player acquisition

become a bit of a development league for the wealthy european or other international teams

i think we'll see some atlanta talent sold over the next 2 or 3 years for more then they cost to acquire

That's the business side for sure, and they've already talked about how they want some of these young players to grow together so we'll see the build happening the next few years.

On 2/10/2019 at 9:10 PM, coastal.view said:

That's what Carl Robinson said was his goal when he took over.  That's why the Whitecaps spent some resources on WFC2, their academy programs, etc.  

On 2/1/2019 at 3:28 PM, Alflives said:

They messed up in the first place, along with the City of Vancouver. Had the Waterfront Stadium gone through. We'd have an expandable stadium with grass turf. Right by Skytrain and the Seabus. With views of the harbour, and it wouldn't' have cost the taxpayers a damn cent. Basically the taxpayers paid $514 million to subsidize the BC Lions to renovate BC place. The Waterfront Stadium probably could have had Lions games as well. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...