The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Frank Corrado | D

b3.

For the past 3 years Corrado when called upon has been surprisingly cool, calm and collected.

Even when its for a few games, he just comes up and does his job and goes quietly about it. There really is no wow factor in him but his simplistic game really compliments the backend especially with wildcards in Bieksa and Sbisa. I really hope he gets a few more games and even sticks when Hammer gets back into the lineup.

Something that I really liked in his game against Calgary was he wasn't afraid to do what he usually does. So many players come up from the farm team and play a "safe" game but there were a few times I saw he wasn't afraid to join the rush or push the pace of the game by carrying the puck. That is something we really lack on the team and his calm demeanor really gave me at least the confidence that he can play very well. Small sample size to really make a huge assessment but from his first game til now, he has made good strides.

For the past 3 years Corrado when called upon has been surprisingly cool, calm and collected.

Even when its for a few games, he just comes up and does his job and goes quietly about it. There really is no wow factor in him but his simplistic game really compliments the backend especially with wildcards in Bieksa and Sbisa. I really hope he gets a few more games and even sticks when Hammer gets back into the lineup.

Something that I really liked in his game against Calgary was he wasn't afraid to do what he usually does. So many players come up from the farm team and play a "safe" game but there were a few times I saw he wasn't afraid to join the rush or push the pace of the game by carrying the puck. That is something we really lack on the team and his calm demeanor really gave me at least the confidence that he can play very well. Small sample size to really make a huge assessment but from his first game til now, he has made good strides.

He reminds me a lot of Tanev in that regard. I didn't get to see the game on Saturday, so can everyone fill me in on how he looked in that game compared to past years?

He reminds me a lot of Tanev in that regard. I didn't get to see the game on Saturday, so can everyone fill me in on how he looked in that game compared to past years?

a lot like his first call up, solid, calm, played his game, had a couple rockets from the point. Looked like a seasoned vet.

I agree with you on this. Corrado is sooo close to making the big club that he can smell the locker room. Trading him at all would be foolish unless for a touted D man prospect. Theodore, Bowey, Pouliot are just off the top of my head, I'm not being specific...

It would have to be part of a package but as much as I like Corrado as well, he doesn't really project to be anything better than a decent bottom 4 guy. If you can improve on that...he goes.

a lot like his first call up, solid, calm, played his game, had a couple rockets from the point. Looked like a seasoned vet.

Yeah and one thing to add, I really like his passing. Made some really nice passes to stretch the defence from zone to zone. Calgary was coming fast on the forecheck, hitting, relentless but Corrado could get the puck out quickly whether it be flicking it down the zone or passing it.

Had more ice-time than Stanton by 6 minutes.

Yeah and one thing to add, I really like his passing. Made some really nice passes to stretch the defence from zone to zone. Calgary was coming fast on the forecheck, hitting, relentless but Corrado could get the puck out quickly whether it be flicking it down the zone or passing it.

Had more ice-time than Stanton by 6 minutes.

To be fair Stanton left the game halfway through so most of his minutes were absorbed by the rest including Frankie

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Bieksa

Stanton Corrado

3Ls, 3Rs

Sbisa

Andersson

Weber- dump him for a 6th or 7th to a playoff team

Sanguinetti is ahead of Andersson, and probably Biega and maybe even Lafranchise (although under Comets contract) now are as well. Bobby seems to make his partners better.

Sbisa-Bieksa is a tirefire of a defense pairing. I have no idea why Desjardins only gives Tanev 21 minutes of ice time. Edler and Tanev both need to be in the 26-27 range for us to continue winning games, the rest of our D just aren't getting the job done. At least until Hammer gets back.

I'd like to see Corrado paired up with Hamhuis, but that leaves the tirefire. If Corrado shows enough that he can stay, that certainly opens up possibilities by the TDL to make room for him.

I concur.

From everything I've seen the last couple seasons Corrado (if they give a chance ) will pass Sbisa, Stanton and Weber in short order.

It's very possible that the Sanguinetti issue is only one of a player who translates better to the NHL than the other.

I'm really hoping him and Hamhuis form a nice puck moving pair that can log big minutes. In fact I would be surprised if they don't.

It would have to be part of a package but as much as I like Corrado as well, he doesn't really project to be anything better than a decent bottom 4 guy. If you can improve on that...he goes.

Yeah, sadly I've softened on the amount of upside he has since he was in junior, but I still think he could be a 3/4 guy if he figures it out. There may have been a time where he looked like he might get to a top pairing two way defenceman but I think that's long sailed.

Yeah, sadly I've softened on the amount of upside he has since he was in junior, but I still think he could be a 3/4 guy if he figures it out. There may have been a time where he looked like he might get to a top pairing two way defenceman but I think that's long sailed.

People got over excited.

His last year in junior he missed the WJC's (barely) but did play in the Subway series against the Ruskies. Played well in fact, as the second wheel as a pair with Hamilton. But unlike Krug, who has been good enough to garner a lot of the puck handling from a still impressive Hamilton...

Even then he was not the key puck handling or move the puck guy! He had / has a big enough shot that he made teams pay, but someone lugged the puck! He is there to provide puck pursuit and defense if his partner fracks up somewhere up ice. Rotate the puck, block shots, take a shot or make the first pass otherwise.

It makes him potentially a great complimentary defender like Tanev. With a bigger shot?

There is nothing wrong with that even if it does not project to be a top pairing stud either!

It makes him potentially a great complimentary defender like Tanev. With a bigger shot?

There is nothing wrong with that even if it does not project to be a top pairing stud either!

And I'd be happy to move Tanev for a bonafide offensive D prospect as well, especially if JB feels Corrado can largely replace Tanev (and eventually bring an up tick in offensive ability).

And I'd be happy to move Tanev for a bonafide offensive D prospect as well, especially if JB feels Corrado can largely replace Tanev (and eventually bring an up tick in offensive ability).

I'm a giant fan of Tanev AND Corrado, but i'd trade both of them for the next Weber (Nashville's, not ours) in a heartbeat.

We need more booming shots on the point that are accurate. Frank Corrado has that in him and I hope he plays tonight. He's just so calm with the puck, and moves the puck extremely well. He definitely looks to be a very good solid top 4 d-man. I hope he gets used on the second PP unit so he can develop his rather decent puck moving skills. We need better puck movers that can actually hit the net and Corrado has that in him.

I like him a lot and I think by next year, he can actually challenge for a top 4 spot seeing as that we have a rather old, slow defense that needs polishing. He'll make our D instantly younger. Ryan Stanton is also a very good bottom pair d-man and I hope he becomes a Willie Mitchell type player. He's been steady all year but with a few bad turnovers, but that's fine. He brings toughness and grittiness to our back end, and can actually make plays. I hope Corrado does get paired with skilled players like Hamhuis or Edler that can mentor him and bring that right handed presence in our second line pairing.

They're strongest in different areas though. Tanev's shot blocking and uber-coolness aren't as strong in Corrado's play. Conversly, Corrado's better offensive instincts and potential for rushing, playing a little bit physical are areas he has the advantage over Tanev.

But of course we do need a top pairing, right side, offensive D-man since neither fills that role well enough.

They're strongest in different areas though. Tanev's shot blocking and uber-coolness aren't as strong in Corrado's play. Conversly, Corrado's better offensive instincts and potential for rushing, playing a little bit physical are areas he has the advantage over Tanev.

But of course we do need a top pairing, right side, offensive D-man since neither fills that role well enough.

Good thing we have this upcoming draft then :)

Jokes aside, I agree that Tanev's defensive game is a bit more superior to Corrado's. One thing I love about Corrado is that he's fan social. He's always with the fans, loves to communicate with fans on social media, and is a team player and that's what really sticks out the most when I see him. I hope we do however get a better RHD d-man that can be trusted in all aspects of the game, not just parts or "different areas" just like you mentioned.

No disagreement here. We gain and lose things going with either over the other. All the more reason to move one to fill the most glaring need of all...

Or like Avelanche said, we move both for a future Weber that has pretty much zero holes in their game :lol:

Archived