The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

The Daniel Ek stuff is welcome news but he has no experience running a sports team/franchise/club. Not that this is a prerequisite but simply forming a consortium with club legends won't magically turn things around. 

From what I've heard in other reporting, as long as there are 3 clubs still signed up for the "Super League", then it is still on the books.  Once one of Juventus, Barca, or Real joins the other 9, then it is officially dead.  I'm on board with the final 3 getting significantly harsher punishment than the slap on the wrist that the 9 got.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/uefa-deal-nine-super-league-clubs-rebels-face-sanctions/

UEFA deal with nine Super League clubs; rebels face sanctions

Nine of the 12 Super League clubs have formally renounced the breakaway and committed to the existing European competitions but they will have to give up 5% of UEFA revenue for one season as a punishment for the rebellion that briefly split football.

But Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus have refused to approve what UEFA on Friday called ``reintegration measures'' and they will be referred to UEFA disciplinary bodies for sanctions after backing the new largely closed competition, meaning they could be banned from the Champions League.

The Super League project imploded three weeks ago after the English clubs - Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City and Tottenham - backed out inside 48 hours after a backlash from the fans and British government.

The Premier League clubs along with Atletico Madrid, AC Milan and Inter Milan have officially signed up to a settlement with UEFA to participate only in the existing open European competitions.

The nine clubs will make a combined payment of 15 million euros ($18 million) for what UEFA called a ``gesture of goodwill'' to benefit children, youth and grassroots football. They have also accepted UEFA withholding 5% of revenue for the next season they play in their club competitions.

The clubs have also agreed to be fined 100 million euros if they seek again to play in an unauthorized competition or 50 million euros if they breach any other commitments to UEFA as part of the settlement.

``The measures announced are significant, but none of the financial penalties will be retained by UEFA,'' said Aleksander Ceferin, the UEFA president. ``They will all be reinvested into youth and grassroots football in local communities across Europe, including the UK. These clubs recognised their mistakes quickly and have taken action to demonstrate their contrition and future commitment to European football.

``The same cannot be said for the clubs that remain involved in the so-called `Super League,' and UEFA will deal with those clubs subsequently.''

Ceferin previously told The Associated Press that the clubs refusing to renege on the Super League could be banned from UEFA's competitions.

The 12 clubs were dubbed the ``dirty dozen'' by Ceferin in a heated period when he fought to prevent the clubs launching a competition that would lock in 15 places for teams for more than two decades, rather than having to qualify through annual domestic league placings as is required for the Champions League.

The nine clubs to sign up to UEFA's ``club commitment declaration'' will rejoin the European Club Association, which they quit on May 18 when the Super League was announced, and they will terminate their legal involvement with the company.

17 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

The Daniel Ek stuff is welcome news but he has no experience running a sports team/franchise/club. Not that this is a prerequisite but simply forming a consortium with club legends won't magically turn things around. 

From what I've read the Kroenkes have no intention of selling.

Lewandowski close to setting the record.  

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/bayern-clinch-ninth-straight-bundesliga-title-dortmund-win-leipzig/

Bayern celebrates ninth straight Bundesliga title by routing Gladbach

BERLIN -- Bayern Munich clinched its record-extending ninth consecutive Bundesliga title without even kicking a ball, then celebrated with a 6-0 rout of Borussia Monchengladbach on Saturday.

Robert Lewandowski's hat trick lifted his season tally to 39 goals, just one off the all-time record of 40 by Bayern great Gerd Muller in the 1971-72 season.

Bayern was already assured of the title thanks to old rival Borussia Dortmund beating second-placed Leipzig 3-2 earlier.

"I think it's the first time in history that the German champions were crowned in the bus," Dortmund coach Edin Terzic said.

Bayern moved the celebrations to the field.

Lewandowski got the newly crowned champions off the mark in the second minute and Jamal Musiala pulled the ball back for Thomas Muller to score the second goal in the 23rd. Muller crossed for Lewandowski to score his 200th goal for Bayern with a scissors kick in the 34th, and still the home side looked for more.

Lewandowski set up Kingsley Coman for the fourth before the break, then completed his hat trick with a penalty in the 66th.

Bayern ended the game with 10 men after Tanguy Nianzou was sent after a VAR consultation for taking down Breel Embolo as the last defender in the 73rd.

It made no difference. Serge Gnabry set up Leroy Sane to complete the rout in the 85th.

2 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/bayern-clinch-ninth-straight-bundesliga-title-dortmund-win-leipzig/

BERLIN -- Bayern Munich clinched its record-extending ninth consecutive Bundesliga title without even kicking a ball, then celebrated with a 6-0 rout of Borussia Monchengladbach on Saturday.

Robert Lewandowski's hat trick lifted his season tally to 39 goals, just one off the all-time record of 40 by Bayern great Gerd Muller in the 1971-72 season.

Bayern was already assured of the title thanks to old rival Borussia Dortmund beating second-placed Leipzig 3-2 earlier.

"I think it's the first time in history that the German champions were crowned in the bus," Dortmund coach Edin Terzic said.

Lewandowski got the newly crowned champions off the mark in the second minute and Jamal Musiala pulled the ball back for Thomas Muller to score the second goal in the 23rd. Muller crossed for Lewandowski to score his 200th goal for Bayern with a scissors kick in the 34th, and still the home side looked for more.

Lewandowski set up Kingsley Coman for the fourth before the break, then completed his hat trick with a penalty in the 66th.

Bayern ended the game with 10 men after Tanguy Nianzou was sent after a VAR consultation for taking down Breel Embolo as the last defender in the 73rd.

It made no difference. Serge Gnabry set up Leroy Sane to complete the rout in the 85th.

Congrats to Bayern and Alphonso.

But, really, there's something wrong with a league in which one team wins nine years in a row.  Give me a more balanced, salary capped league any time.

• Cheers 1

On 5/2/2021 at 7:38 AM, Tom Sestito said:

Any bundesliga fans here??

Good Day to you, sir!

12 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Unreal season from Lewandowski. Well, I guess I still prefer Bayern winning over Leipzig, so...

On 5/1/2021 at 10:38 PM, Tom Sestito said:

Any bundesliga fans here??

Yes I started watching bundlesliga on sportsnet a year or two ago I enjoy it and like to keep up with how Alphonso Davies is doing. I wish sportsnet and tsn still had the English premier league games. NBC shows the occasional Saturday prime time epl game(but it’s not enough IMO) also I don’t have dazn 

35 minutes ago, Mj2345 said:

Yes I started watching bundlesliga on sportsnet a year or two ago I enjoy it and like to keep up with how Alphonso Davies is doing. I wish sportsnet and tsn still had the English premier league games. NBC shows the occasional Saturday prime time epl game(but it’s not enough IMO) also I don’t have dazn 

If you like soccer, DAZN is a pretty good deal.

They carry, as you note, all the EPL games as well as the Italian league games, the UEFA Champions League games, the Europa League games and many out of market MLS games.

They charge a reasonable $20 a month or $150 a year (in Canada).

The broadcast quality can be a bit iffy at times but overall is not bad.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

Good Day to you, sir!

Unreal season from Lewandowski. Well, I guess I still prefer Bayern winning over Leipzig, so...

3 hours ago, Mj2345 said:

What clubs do you support?

I've been a chelsea supporter since ~07 when i was nine but curious about how the bundesliga has grown in support. 

On 5/10/2021 at 12:47 AM, Tom Sestito said:

What clubs do you support?

I've been a chelsea supporter since ~07 when i was nine but curious about how the bundesliga has grown in support. 

Lifelong BVB supporter. Born and raised 50 minutes from Dortmund

Rangers fans doing what they do best. Destroying their own city that is. Fighting among themselves. I've even seen a photo of women $&!#ting in the street. &^@#ing embarrassment. There's rumours of one of them blowing their own arm off lighting a dodgy flare and even a murder as a result of their fighting.

Can't believe we let them waltz to the title this season. Put no pressure on them when they're proven to crumble under pressure. Disaster of a season.

Eddie Howe likely coming in but a massive rebuilding job on our hands 

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Tony Romo said:

okay Liverpool, that was unbelievable

I was a bit surprised to see that he was the first one to ever do it with Liverpool. I get that keepers scoring is rare, but that same scenario happens fairly often and you'd think it would have happened once or twice in the team's history.....

That really had to sting for West Brom, though....

Huge news coming from France; Karim Benzema has been selected for the French 26-man squad for the first time since 2015 after his involvement in the Valbuena sextape scandal (amongst other scandals to his resume). It had been publicly known that Benzema was finished with the French squad, but Deschamps apparently had a lengthy conversation with him and made the decision; one he had said he would never come back towards. 

A French forward line made up of Benzema, Mbappé, Giroud, Griezmann, Dembélé and Coman are bound to make waves this summer.

I can't seem to find how to embed the official tweet.... 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Thanks 1

From the Mirror:

Premier League's Big Six 'could be fined millions' for European Super League plot

The so-called ‘Big Six’ are set for talks with the Premier League next week which could lead to fines totalling tens of millions of pounds as punishment for their part in the failed European Super League breakaway.

Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, Liverpool and both Manchester clubs announced their intention to join the Super League last month.

In collaboration with Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Atletico Madrid, Real Madrid and Barcelona, their owners planned to rival – and ultimately replace – the Champions League with what was effectively a closed shop guaranteeing its “founder clubs” a greater share of the profits.

The plans collapsed after barely 48 hours when, one-by-one, the English clubs withdrew from the competition. Faced with a massive backlash from fans, players, managers, pundits, politicians and stakeholders, their departure saw the two Milan clubs and Atletico follow suit soon after.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-arsenal-chelsea-liverpool-24163199?utm_source=mirror_newsletter&utm_campaign=arsenal_fc_newsletter2&utm_medium=email

I guess that was money well spent by Lille.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/canadas-jonathan-david-helps-lille-secure-french-ligue-1-title/

Canada's Jonathan David helps Lille secure French Ligue 1 title

ANGERS, France -- Canadian international Jonathan David scored one goal and helped set up the other Sunday as Lille sealed the French league title with a 2-1 victory over Angers.

The win on the last day of the season left Lille (24-3-11, 83 points) ahead of defending champion Paris Saint-Germain (26-8-4, 82 points) and AS Monaco (24-8-6, 78 points).

PSG won 2-0 at Brest while Monaco drew 0-0 at Lens.

David opened the Lille scoring in the 10th minute at Stade Raymond Kopa, put in alone by Renato Sanches before slipping a low shot under Angers goalkeeper Paul Bernardoni. It was David's 13th goal of the season, adding to his Canadian record total for season scoring in one of Europe's top five leagues.

The 21-year-old from Ottawa set the stage for the second goal when he won a penalty in the 45th minute after going down in contact with Bernardoni. Turkish forward Burak Yilmaz slotted the penalty home in first-half stoppage time.

Angers scored a consolation goal in second-half stoppage time.

The Lille players rushed onto the field at the final whistle to celebrate in the empty stadium.

It marked the fourth French title for Lille and first since 2011. PSG had won seven of the last eight French titles.

David, who came to Lille last August from Belgium's Gent, had a slow start to his first season in France, failing to score in his first 10 league outings. But he then came on strong, forming a dangerous partnership with Yilmaz.

On the international front, David has scored 11 goals in 12 appearances for Canada. He is the first Canadian male to win the French title.

David joins fellow Canadians Alphonso Davies (Bayern Munich, Germany), Atiba Hutchinson and Cyle Larin (Besiktas, Turkey), Scott Arfield (Rangers, Scotland), Milan Borjan (Red Star Belgrade, Serbia), Jessie Fleming (Chelsea, England) and Cloe Lacasse (Benfica, Portugal) in winning league titles in 2021.

Paris Saint-Germain, with Canadians Ashley Lawrence and Jordyn Huitema on the roster, currently leads the French women's table just ahead of Canadian Kadeisha Buchanan's Lyon. Buchanan has won the league the last four seasons with Lyon.

On Saturday, Canadian international David Wotherspoon was named man of the match in St. Johnstone's 1-0 win over Hibernian in the Scottish Cup final in Glasgow's Hampden Park.

• Cheers 1