The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

4 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Most soccer players do nowadays.

A gentle breeze is enough to make them fall over. 

Any way to compare a guy who falls in the box from the merest contact like so many do to a guy that deliberately handballs  the ball and says a sky fairy did it ?

No comparison.

Any way my dad was a lifelong Villa fan so with the Southgate and hopefully grealish will play connection,go the Sassenachs.

Agree, and to be honest the all dive to a certain level... I think what annoyed me the most was the game kept going, with two balls on the pitch... ref should have blown it down before it got to the stage it did. The Danish fullback even point to the extra ball and pointed it out to the ref... 

It is, what it is. Life goes on. Had a ball at Wembley, amd would do it all over again, even though I knew, it would be the same result. 
Life of sports fanatic....:rolleyes:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Most soccer players do nowadays.

A gentle breeze is enough to make them fall over. 

Any way to compare a guy who falls in the box from the merest contact like so many do to a guy that deliberately handballs  the ball and says a sky fairy did it ?

No comparison.

Any way my dad was a lifelong Villa fan so with the Southgate and hopefully grealish will play connection,go the Sassenachs.

Honestly, they need to penalize the divers with yellow and red cards. I think they actually have the ability to give cards for dives, but just never do. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, c00kies said:

Honestly, they need to penalize the divers with yellow and red cards. I think they actually have the ability to give cards for dives, but just never do. 

Plays are reviewed right away now.  If it’s reviewed and confirmed as a dive, then go straight to the red card.  

Italy will beat England 2 dives to 1 dive.  

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

Agree, and to be honest the all dive to a certain level... I think what annoyed me the most was the game kept going, with two balls on the pitch... ref should have blown it down before it got to the stage it did. The Danish fullback even point to the extra ball and pointed it out to the ref... 

It is, what it is. Life goes on. Had a ball at Wembley, amd would do it all over again, even though I knew, it would be the same result. 
Life of sports fanatic....:rolleyes:

Has there been any report of how the second ball got onto the pitch and how long it was sitting there?

28 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Has there been any report of how the second ball got onto the pitch and how long it was sitting there?

I was sitting right in fromt of it... it was thrown on from the stands, eitjer by Danish supporters or by English supporters above us... it was on the pitch at least 20-30 seconds, and every on was wonderi g why the game wasn't bei g brought to a hold. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

I was sitting right in fromt of it... it was thrown on from the stands, eitjer by Danish supporters or by English supporters above us... it was on the pitch at least 20-30 seconds, and every on was wonderi g why the game wasn't bei g brought to a hold. 

Weird.  Does this mean that someone brought a soccer ball to the game with the intention of throwing it onto the field at some point?  Or was a ball kicked out of play earlier in the game and the folks who caught it simply took their time throwing it back down to the field?

3 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Weird.  Does this mean that someone brought a soccer ball to the game with the intention of throwing it onto the field at some point?  Or was a ball kicked out of play earlier in the game and the folks who caught it simply took their time throwing it back down to the field?

To be honest, not quite sure when the ball went out of play, but it was a match ball, and it must have been kicked out a little earlier in the game. Looked like someone was returning the ball as the game had moved on to the other end... but not a difficult spot for neither linesman, nor referee...

it is, what it is, but the game should have been stopped to remove the other ball...

• Thanks 1

Well, not sure who to root for in the final as I don't like either team winning it.
That being said, here's to Italy beating England, just because of their annoying fanbase (it's not coming home).

England fans are the Leafs fans of football.

an extra ball, other object or animal enters the field of play during the match, the referee must:

– stop play (and restart with a dropped ball) only if it interferes with play

– unless the ball is going into the goal and the interference does not prevent a defending player playing the ball; the goal is awarded if the ball enters the goal (even if contact was made with the ball) unless the interference was by the attacking team

– allow play to continue if it does not interfere with play and have it removed at the earliest possible opportunity

I guess the third rule is open to interpretation, it certainly didn't interfere with the play as I didn't see the ball being touched or generally noticed by anyone but the Danish subs on the side of the field, although they were trying to get the linesman's attention. Obviously Sterling maneuvered quite close to the ball though, it would have been just as controversial if the ref had blown the play down there because then you can have any opposing fans throwing crap on the pitch at any time to interfere with the game to their team's benefit.

I think this is one of those situations where the salt that comes with hating the English is magnified that we for once get the benefit of a bad call, whatever.

Even though I think Sterling was touched, did he embellish? Probably, but Kane should have got one earlier and the Denmark goal came after a highly dubious circumstance so I think it evened out.

image.png.187a572486c68dfbda067384fb07952f.png

8 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

an extra ball, other object or animal enters the field of play during the match, the referee must:

– stop play (and restart with a dropped ball) only if it interferes with play

– unless the ball is going into the goal and the interference does not prevent a defending player playing the ball; the goal is awarded if the ball enters the goal (even if contact was made with the ball) unless the interference was by the attacking team

– allow play to continue if it does not interfere with play and have it removed at the earliest possible opportunity

I guess the third rule is open to interpretation, it certainly didn't interfere with the play as I didn't see the ball being touched or generally noticed by anyone but the Danish subs on the side of the field, although they were trying to get the linesman's attention. Obviously Sterling maneuvered quite close to the ball though, it would have been just as controversial if the ref had blown the play down there because then you can have any opposing fans throwing crap on the pitch at any time to interfere with the game to their team's benefit.

I think this is one of those situations where the salt that comes with hating the English is magnified that we for once get the benefit of a bad call, whatever.

Even though I think Sterling was touched, did he embellish? Probably, but Kane should have got one earlier and the Denmark goal came after a highly dubious circumstance so I think it evened out.

image.png.187a572486c68dfbda067384fb07952f.png

Sorry but thats rubbish... If there's an extra ball laying at yhe same side the attack is coming from in the defensive part of the pitch, it is a distraction... 

Turn it around... if had been the opposite way and Italy gets a pen against England in 1st half of extra time, and there's an extra ball on the pitch, in the same side ss the attack, I diubt very much you'd be of the same opinion.... as for the penalty, I've already stated every one dives, so I'm over that, but to say it even things out is also wrong... two wrongs doesn't make a right... I don't blame England for that, but I blame the match officials as well as VAR referee...

35 years you complained about the hand of god, but when its in your favour its suddenly not so bad.... hmmmm...

Anyway Denmark went to the semis, after their best player almost died on the pitch, so I'm delighted regardless, but I will be the first to smile, if England gets done by a dubious decision against Italy... By the way I'm a Utd supporter, so like a lot of the players in the England team. And while England probably deserved it, it was not the right way to win

9D4DEDAD-FE1F-46B3-B5CC-F4AE3E7D4389.jpeg

Edited by spook007

So who are predicting will win the big game?  I am no soccer fan, and didn’t know even one player from either team before the tournament.  Now I know two England player names (Kane and Stirling) and One Italy player (Boofant). So I’m predicting a ...

2-1 England win.  Makes sense, right?  

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So who are predicting will win the big game?  I am no soccer fan, and didn’t know even one player from either team before the tournament.  Now I know two England player names (Kane and Stirling) and One Italy player (Boofant). So I’m predicting a ...

Raheem Sterling is my favorite player, I’m thinking 2-0 England.

• Cheers 1

It's a bit of a toss up. England is the favourite but Italy plays a great team game. If I am England I want both sterling and rashford starting - that speed can give the Italy back line trouble. However, if it goes to penalties I see Italy having the edge. There will be a lot of pressure on the English players from 'the spot'.

It's going to be an interesting game.

6 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

It's a bit of a toss up. England is the favourite but Italy plays a great team game. If I am England I want both sterling and rashford starting - that speed can give the Italy back line trouble. However, if it goes to penalties I see Italy having the edge. There will be a lot of pressure on the English players from 'the spot'.

It's going to be an interesting game.

I imagine it’s more likely to be Sancho over Rashford, but I would not be surprised  if Southgate sets us up with 3 at the back again with two wingbacks and only two in the middle. 

we need to work the ball out wide and pull the two defenders apart if we can. 

England will want to smother the game and keep it tight, Italy with their attacking options will want to open it up and make it more free flowing. The big plus for England is that we won’t have to deal with Spinazzola but this Italian team shouldn’t be underestimated 

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think he's talking about Buffon, folks.

He was Italy's goalie for like 20 years (and the best on the planet for a good while), but he's way too old to play for his country now.  He's 43.  He's also not on the team, so where did you find that name?

3 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I think he's talking about Buffon, folks.

He was Italy's goalie for like 20 years (and the best on the planet for a good while), but he's way too old to play for his country now.  He's 43.  He's also not on the team, so where did you find that name?

I guess the score will be 2-0 then. :frantic:

On 7/9/2021 at 12:56 PM, Alflives said:

Plays are reviewed right away now.  If it’s reviewed and confirmed as a dive, then go straight to the red card.  

Italy will beat England 2 dives to 1 dive.  

Is Mike Smith in goal for Italy? :lol: