The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

11 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Curious is it legal to trip someone with your foot/leg? Like make a soccer slide and take them out? 

I've only got my Canadian football referee's certificate to go on, but there's actually a penalty called "tripping". (The signal looks kind of like the one for clipping) It's not called often, but when it does, it's usually because a pass blocking OL stuck out his leg as a pass rusher is going past him. (Yes, I have a referee's certificate stashed away somewhere at my parents' place. A coaching one, too)

11 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Why that wasn't challenged is beyond me.

Meh. Even a challenge doesn't always get it right. The game that Sabre and his friend are lamenting, when Phillips started Johnson over Flutie, included the best example of a forward lateral that wasn't called. It helped the Titans make the Super Bowl. BTW: @Tre Mac do you have a source for the claim that Phillips was acting on orders from Wilson? I've been blaming him for a lot of years....

As a fan of the Bills, (and obviously not the Patriots) I haven't really waded into the Gronk debate, but it certainly was suspension worthy. I agree with Alf and @SabreFan1 that it's even money that he gets off with just a fine, because he's Rob Gronkowski. Even those of us who despise the Patsies, can't help but like Gronk just a little bit....

It was an expected loss, but watching Brady and his OC screaming at each other on the sideline was at least, something to take home with us.B)

Final note: @ReggieBush with bragging rights after this weekend. He was a man on an island all week. (and I admit to thinking that the Eagles would beat the 'Hawks as well)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I was watching First Take this morning and that moron Nick Wright is STILL sleeping on Seattle. To be brutally honest, I sometimes want us to win games just to see the media eat their words and/or make excuses. This man says that there are 4 teams in the NFC that are interchangeable Minny (who has a legit defense, I still am a little bit iffy on their offense), the Saints (who are struggling with injuries in their secondary, lots of weapons on offense), and 2 teams that Seattle has beaten in the Rams and Eagles. You don't have to put them in the discussion, but PLEASE acknowledge their presence in the NFC. I don't think any team in the NFL come playoff time (Aside from maybe the falcons who seem to always have our number) would want to play Seattle with Russ at QB, Carroll coaching, and that front 7 (who is playing at an ELITE level right now)

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

No suspension?  Wow!  

15 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

The NFL is very inconsistent with their suspensions.  If White ends up with a concussion, Gronk will likely sit a game just because of all of the hoopla about CTE and how the NFL needs to do more about hits to the head.

Given Gronk's 7 year clean resume, and the fact he sought out the officials on the field after the game ended and apologized to the both of them, and sounded quite upset with himself and apologized to #27, I don't think he will get a suspension. FWIW, it was dumb and super late and cheap (hence why I laughed at that he's in wrestlemania mode) but I still don't think they suspend him 1 game when guys with dirty records doing a lot worse don't get suspended. Unless your Burfict.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Owner(s) told Phillips to start Johnson.  Phillips was always just a puppet coach, that's why he fit well with the cowboys. 

A Football life with Doug Flutie was probably one of the best ones NFL Films produced, it goes into that decision plus Flutie's CFL and CFB playing days.  Highly recommend it if you guys having seen it yet.

Cool thanks for the tip

will look it up 

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Meh. Even a challenge doesn't always get it right. The game that Sabre and his friend are lamenting, when Phillips started Johnson over Flutie, included the best example of a forward lateral that wasn't called. It helped the Titans make the Super Bowl. BTW: @Tre Mac do you have a source for the claim that Phillips was acting on orders from Wilson? I've been blaming him for a lot of years....

Pretty sure he even admits it in the Football Life documentary on Flutie.  Phillips was one of the people interviewed along with a couple of Buffalo beat reporters.  They also touch on the Music City Miracle.

And the Moj is throwing out the race card about Gronk's one game suspension...  Please...  Comparing it to Elliot and Josh Gordon - aren't those suspensions(drugs, domestic violence) have a set amount of games mandated by the CBA?  Didn't the Giants kicker, a white guy, get suspended for 6 games for domestic violence, the same as Elliot?  Man do some of these people even think before speaking?

Just now, Tre Mac said:

And the Moj is throwing out the race card about Gronk's one game suspension...  Please...  Comparing it to Elliot and Josh Gordon - aren't those suspensions(drugs, domestic violence) have a set amount of games mandated by the CBA?  Didn't the Giants kicker, a white guy, get suspended for 6 games for domestic violence, the same as Elliot?  Man do some of these people even think before speaking?

Just a cheap way to get more listeners.

15 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Josh Brown, the kicker you were referring to got a 1 game suspension. It wasn't until the insane amount of backlash that they changed the length of his suspension

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Josh Brown, the kicker you were referring to got a 1 game suspension. It wasn't until the insane amount of backlash that they changed the length of his suspension

Maybe, but the NFL stated new public records became available:

"We reopened the investigation based on new info," the league texted ESPN on Friday. "Concluded there was a violation of our personal conduct policy and imposed 6 game suspension which he accepted without appeal."

In a statement later Friday, the league referred to documents released in October 2016 by the King County (Washington) Sheriff's Office as part of its investigation into a 2015 incident between Brown and his then-wife.

"These documents, which previously had been withheld from the public and the NFL, contained information regarding a series of other incidents separate from the May 2015 incident," the statement said.

Either way, to state Gronk only got one game because he is white is ridiculous.  Trevathan's hit on Adams got reduced to one game.

54 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Steelers are at home why would they lose at home?

Pitts is on the road. AB has a toe injury and might not play. If Pitts loses tonight, they might lose the 2nd seed. They play Bal next week and the Pats after that. Never know!

15 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

The Bengals are utterly useless. Can't see the Steelers losing to them although I haven't been impressed watching them the last few weeks.

Steelers are probably looking ahead to the big showdown with the Pats so anything is possible::D.  My hatred for the Steelers on par with the Cowboys, Yankees, BoSox, and the Leafs.