The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

When it comes to the flags, yeah questionable timing with both calls and none calls. 

Though that's pro sports for you these days. Doesn't matter the team, doesn't matter the league, the refs feel the need to be able and control the outcome.

One of the reasons I'm not a fan of any pro sports like I used to be.

• Thanks 1

I watched the first half and listened to the second. I should have used that time to:

Pull out my fingernails

Play 6 straight games of Rougechambo, starting second each time

Get a colonoscopy

Seriously, this team and organization is in trouble, with no Bobby Ackles around to rebuild it.

Wally will be considered too old and yesterdays man, to fix this mess; even Wally himself says he has trouble relating to today's players due to the age and culture gap.

Listening to Marco Ianuzzi on 650 AM yesterday and he says the Leo's get no revenue from the concessions at BC Place, only ticket sales.

The dome is too big, so the place always looks mostly empty even with the upper bowl " screened off". Thus it is a bad atmosphere.

This team/organization has been in trouble since the Feds and Province turned down the proposed waterfront stadium.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

I watched the first half and listened to the second. I should have used that time to:

Pull out my fingernails

Play 6 straight games of Rougechambo, starting second each time

Get a colonoscopy

Seriously, this team and organization is in trouble, with no Bobby Ackles around to rebuild it.

Wally will be considered too old and yesterdays man, to fix this mess; even Wally himself says he has trouble relating to today's players due to the age and culture gap.

Listening to Marco Ianuzzi on 650 AM yesterday and he says the Leo's get no revenue from the concessions at BC Place, only ticket sales.

The dome is too big, so the place always looks mostly empty even with the upper bowl " screened off". Thus it is a bad atmosphere.

This team/organization has been in trouble since the Feds and Province turned down the proposed waterfront stadium.

They may need to restart at the grassroot levels.  

Start giving out tickets to youngers, have discount tickets for kids or something, or do more cross promotion with the Whitecaps (tickets will give free hotdog or something). 

It's way better to sell 40000+ tickets at say 15 bucks each than 20000 at $30+.  More people to purchase merchandise and from concession.  

They really need to make the experience way more affordable for the average family.  

If I wish to watch the game with my wife and son... it's going to be $30 each.  I would probably want my son's experience to be memorable, so a hotdog, a softdrink and maybe a t-shirt.  That's going to be like $40 dollars.  My wife and I wants a bag of popcorn and drink a couple of beer for each of us.... that's another 40 bucks.  

So all together, it amounts to 90+40+40= $170 for that night out.  Not really an absurdly amount of money, but for a young family, you really want to have good value.

To put things into perspective, maybe a movie night would only costs like 50 bucks total.  Toss in booze and it's only like $70 total.  

I can take the family out to 1 football game or I can take them out for 2 movie nights.  Or just don't go to a couple of games and save up for a Nintendo Switch for the family to enjoy together, or maybe Netflix for the whole year, etc.  

While some will use the argument that it's bush league or whatever... that point is irrelevant.  The Vancouver Canadians sells out and they are just Single A.  Atmosphere is almost as important as the game itself.  

• Thanks 1

LOL - Even the Bombers are getting into it!

Bombers01.png

Context:

Oakland Raider arrives for NFL pre-season game with 'Winnipeg, Alberta' shirt

Raiders, Packers in Winnipeg for Thursday contest before NFL season opens

The Canadian Press · Posted: Aug 22, 2019 7:58 AM CT | Last Updated: August 22

aj-cole.jpg
The Oakland Raiders posted a picture on Twitter of rookie A.J. Cole III arriving in Winnipeg wearing a shirt emblazoned with 'Winnipeg, Alberta.' (@Raiders/Twitter)

Oakland Raiders rookie A.J. Cole III is learning about Canadian geography the hard way.

The Raiders tweeted out various photos on Wednesday of the team arriving in Winnipeg, which is set to host an Oakland-Green Bay NFL pre-season game at IG Field on Thursday.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/raiders-winnipeg-alberta-shirt-1.5255666

Edited by Heretic
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, spur1 said:

Lol..... I see the NFL was top notch in Winnipeg last night. Could not even out draw the Bombers. :gocan:

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I hear the NFL is going from a 100 yard field to an 80 yard one too.  :gocan:

NFL players and league approved the field conditions the day before, then Green Bay changed their mind- bush league.:gocan:

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe the Leo’s go 8-1 in their second half, and finish 9-9?  NFL cuts are coming, and a couple of those guys could be key.

In the CFL the real season starts on labour day weekend. Hoping the Lions pick up top notch pass rushers from the nfl cuts. A shut down corner would work too. 

• Upvote 1

^I was hoping you came in here to ban the BC Lions.

Love my team but man, this year's been a dud.  I'm still on board because, apparently, I'm a sucker for punishment.  The last game we were going out for dinner and thought it was in the bag when we left for the restaurant...they had it on the TV in the pub we went to so we got to see them throw away another one.  Seriously?  

Go Lions.  Please give us something.

Dear David Braley

As a long time fan I want to ask you. Are you still interested in this team? Do you want to be involved or not?

You have been a good owner over the years. You were a driving force that helped focus the team on winning and being committed to success. 

But now I'm not sure you're the right owner anymore.

The team needs dedicated involved committed uwners.

Maybe time to pass the torch my friend.

Thanks for all you have meant to us. Please consider whether it's time to give younger owners a shot.

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Maybe the Leo’s go 8-1 in their second half, and finish 9-9?  NFL cuts are coming, and a couple of those guys could be key.

Wishful thinking as BC loses another. 

Did not see the game but news media report it was dud of a game as the Lions moved up and down the field but could not score.   BC had only 3 points entering the final minute of the game.   3 points in front of a home crowd against a Eastern rival who is usually jetlagged is disgraceful.   Feel sorry for the 16,000+ paying fans who had to

endure this horror of a game.  Keep it up and there will be 10,00 fans at season end.

BTW, is not a player problem but a GM/Coaching problem.   You could bring in Tom Brady and you will get the same result.

To be more precise, most of the blame can be on Manager Ed Hervey who blew up the team but did not bring the right players to replace the ones gone.

Hervey overpaid QB Reilly by giving him $750,000 thus blowing a big hole in the budget.   As a result they can't sign people like Solomon Elimimian  and receiver Arceneaux.   Adding to the Lions woe, is releasing QB Cody Fajardo who turn out to be a franchise quarterback hiding under the nose of Lions management all the time but not recognized by them.

Edited by DonLever
  • Upvote 1