The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

I wonder how much impact the loss of CKVU's Sports Page has had on the Lions.

iirc the Page did an excellent job covering the Lions, lots of off season updates, with great training camp footage and reg season.

They also did a great job promoting the University Teams, and would mention those scores and stats from the games.

A guy could track the progress of  potential draft picks, and watch them grow as professionals.

• Like 4

On 11/8/2021 at 4:46 PM, gurn said:

I wonder how much impact the loss of CKVU's Sports Page has had on the Lions.

iirc the Page did an excellent job covering the Lions, lots of off season updates, with great training camp footage and reg season.

They also did a great job promoting the University Teams, and would mention those scores and stats from the games.

A guy could track the progress of  potential draft picks, and watch them grow as professionals.

Sports page was ahead of its time. Unfortunately it was a victim of the internet age and the expansion of sports networks. Once you could get a highlight show every hour or so SP became redundant and unable to compete financially with the big networks. It did give us so many great sportscasters in Vancouver including John Shorthouse, Barry McDonald, Don Taylor, Blake Price, Dan Murphy Dave Randorf and Chris Hebb the commissioner of the BCHL. I am sure i missed some there. RIP Paul Carson.

The Lions have been a victim of the NFL's success in Canada. The blackouts in the CFL markets have not helped as we can watch every NFL team every Sunday Monday and Thursday each week. Back when Comrie owned the team he was on a call in show and I called and suggested they go to the local high schools and give out tickets to the kids to help grow the interest in the game. Get the kids and their families interested in going to a game. Increase the attendance through growing the game in the high schools. He replied that they wouldnt compromise their season ticket holders and now there are less kids watching the CFL than the NFL. Its still a great idea. High school football is still a big deal in many schools in the province. The lions need to make it affordable and enjoyable for the younger generation to watch CFL games. Part of the issue here is the CFL and Lions dont own the stadium and I dont believe make any money from concessions and parking which means they only want/need more ticket sales. Theres just so many competitors for the entertainment dollar in Vancouver including the Mariners and Seahawks in Seattle. Its too bad.

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

Back when Comrie owned the team he was on a call in show and I called and suggested they go to the local high schools and give out tickets to the kids to help grow the interest in the game. Get the kids and their families interested in going to a game. Increase the attendance through growing the game in the high schools.

image.jpeg.50e202248be4b570eb566752b3b39a57.jpeg

The good ol' Quarterback Club.   It was, as I recall, for kids 16 and under, tickets were 0.50 for seats in the north end zone at Empire Stadium.  It got the kids interested just as you suggest.  It got me interested for many years until the NFL finally took over my football watching.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Final game of season, last night, and Lions win big.

I don't know if Reilly started but the back up had a great game. Rourke threw for 359 yards, had 4 TDs, beating the Elks 43-10.

T.J. Lee had 2 of the Leo's 5 interceptions

James Butler had 109 rushing yards.

Good to see the possible future players getting time on the field.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Mr. Self Destruct said:

Elks just fired their president, GM and coach. I wonder what the Lions will do.

After the last game the TSN panel agreed that BC was in a much better position for next year than the Elkies. They generally liked BC’s management and thought that with some additions they’d be alright, but they were much less positive about Edmonton. Ownership seems seems involved with the owner and his family in the dressing room thanking the players after the game.

On a side note I didn’t realize that there was one of those gruesome hard to watch leg injuries to one of the Lions in that game. Accidentally stumbled on it while watching the game on pvr. Felt sick seeing someone’s (Henderson) foot flop around in such an ugly way. Stretchered him off the field with both teams saluting him. Wish him all the best.

• Cheers 1

The Calgary - Sask game was actually entertaining....normally I stop caring once the Leos have been eliminated, but flipping through channels, I came across the game and decided to watch.

The Riders won in OT and although I'm not particularly a fan, seeing a Calgary team lose is always entertaining....

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The Riders won in OT and although I'm not particularly a fan, seeing a Calgary team lose is always entertaining....

I like Dave Dickenson, he was a fine quarterback and seems to be a really good coach; but I'm fine with Calgary losing.

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, gurn said:

I like Dave Dickenson, he was a fine quarterback and seems to be a really good coach; but I'm fine with Calgary losing.

DD was a fine QB and I cheered for him when he won a Grey Cup with the Leos in '06, but now he's gone over to the Dark Side....

5vysrz.jpg

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

CFL, fumbles .............again- Note- the Argos sent him to the game, violating the covid rules.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/wnba/fans-outraged-after-cfl-overrules-covid-protocol-for-bethel-thompson-argos/ar-AARroo8?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

A seemingly harmless trip to the Toronto Raptors game on Thursday appeared to have cost quarterback McLeod Bethel-Thompson his spot under centre for the Toronto Argonauts in their Eastern Final contest against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on Sunday.

The QB, who attended the game per request of the team, broke the CFL's COVID-19 protocols in doing so. His attendance at the game, by league rules, should have resulted in a four-game ban. Instead, the CFL decided to walk back its current protocol and devise a compromise. 

Per a statement from the league, Bethel-Thompson will only have to quarantine for two days while taking a PCR test on Friday and Saturday while also taking a rapid antigen test on Sunday. If all tests return a negative result, he'll be able to play for the double blue.

These conditions also apply to four other members of the team — Dexter McCoil, Charleston Hughes, Llevi Noel and Jeff Richards — who attended the Raptors game with Bethel-Thompson.

This, as you can imagine, didn't sit well with CFL fans, especially those who root for the Ticats.

All five members of the Argonauts must clear the necessary hurdles to play, but the CFL has allowed all a chance to suit up and play for a spot in the Grey Cup.

So TOR QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson and four teammates who attended the Raptors game will miss practises for 2 days but play in the East Final on Sunday, if all their COVID tests come back negative. Perfectly reasonable ruling by the CFL. The Argos deserve all the ridicule they get.

This is shocking, but the CFL bent the rules for Bethel-Thompson. Because Toronto. #bushleague #cfl

Edited by gurn
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1