The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Just watched the Martian last week.  Really enjoyed it.  Thought it would have helped if he had requested to have his MP3 player/whatever tech he had sent up with the supply ship, only to see his devastation when the launch failed, since he was so bummed about the music he was stuck with.

Wife is reading the book, and seems to be enjoying it even more than the movie (not a rare occurrence, of course).  Looks like I will have to pick it up when she is done with it.

On March 7, 2016 at 1:12 PM, J.R. said:

Hobbit - 5 Armies

Uggghh / 10

The first two, while not as good as LOTR were passable, entertaining even. I think I rated the first one somewhere around 7 or 8, the second 6 or 7.

This just seemed devoid of ANY soul. It was like a big CGI orgy for the sake of  it. It pains me to write that about anything based on Tolkien's work but holy @#$% what a festering deuce of otherwise worthless CGI.

I suppose if I have to give it a number... probably 4.5/10 and that's merely for the technical achievement/eye/ear candy and pity for one of our greatest writers fine work.

Seriously, did anyone have ANY sort of emotional response to this?

Disgust.

As a huge Tolkien junkie (I had read LOTR 3 times by grade 12), I find these Hobbit films an absolute travesty.

I have serious problems with The Two Towers & The Return of The King, but these latest films by Jackson are far and away more terrible, totally unwatchable in my eyes.

• Upvote 1

Exit Through The Gift Shop 9/10

Finally watched this. F'in hilarious. This guy is awesome.

"It's like you know- they say life is a chess match. And me I don't know chess. But that doesn't stop me from playing."

I know nothing about the backstory, with Banksy it could all be a card tower of deceptions.

6 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

Disgust.

As a huge Tolkien junkie (I had read LOTR 3 times by grade 12), I find these Hobbit films an absolute travesty.

I have serious problems with The Two Towers & The Return of The King, but these latest films by Jackson are far and away more terrible, totally unwatchable in my eyes.

I believe it.  I won't even give the Hobbit movies a try, given how messed up Jackson's LOTR was.  I have caught some of the Hobbit scenes while channel surfing, and watched a little bit, but it just doesn't align with the books enough for me.

And why did he need 3 Hobbit movies?  The book wasn't as large as any LOTR book, so he's definitely going overboard here.

Pretty scenery and all, but lacking in story and characterization (goes for all of Jackson's Tolkien work).  Such a shame after all the years of waiting for great movies to go along with the amazing books.

11 hours ago, Toni Zamboni said:

am i the only one that thinks Last Man On Earth really should be 1 hour long each episode?

Yes and no. Yes, I want more of the show, but I think even if a comedy is quality, it has a hard time running a full drama run time. It would definitely suffer a bit, but if I'm being selfish, I would take that trade off.

Having more episodes to each season would is enough for me.

"House at the end of the street"

2/10. Hilariously bad, tbh. Stupid twist and some really bad acting. A lot of unrealistic moments as well... Apparently getting shot three times in the chest at point blank range is survivable, lol. Only reason it's not 0/10 is because of Jennifer Lawrence and her cleavage on display the whole movie. That gets a +2 from me. Don't watch.

Corner Gas: The Movie - 6/10

The main story of the city shutting down worked very well, but the comedic side plots didn't so much. I mean you can't take what a 22 minute bit and stretch it to an hour and a half for the same effect. I can appreciate trying to make a big picture story interlaced with the formula of the show, but I mean each person could have resolved things and moved on quicker.

But it was pretty decent. I liked it. Shut up. Lol.

2 hours ago, slickjim23 said:

"House at the end of the street"

2/10. Hilariously bad, tbh. Stupid twist and some really bad acting. A lot of unrealistic moments as well... Apparently getting shot three times in the chest at point blank range is survivable, lol. Only reason it's not 0/10 is because of Jennifer Lawrence and her cleavage on display the whole movie. That gets a +2 from me. Don't watch.

From the google blurb to this movie

kd1IqA0.png?1

"Her Daugther, Elissa (Max Thieriot)"? Nothing to speak on his acting capabilities, but that's a weird casting choice.

2 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

Corner Gas: The Movie - 6/10

The main story of the city shutting down worked very well, but the comedic side plots didn't so much. I mean you can't take what a 22 minute bit and stretch it to an hour and a half for the same effect. I can appreciate trying to make a big picture story interlaced with the formula of the show, but I mean each person could have resolved things and moved on quicker.

But it was pretty decent. I liked it. Shut up. Lol.

I was reading your review with such disappointment. That is, until this last part.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

Yes and no. Yes, I want more of the show, but I think even if a comedy is quality, it has a hard time running a full drama run time. It would definitely suffer a bit, but if I'm being selfish, I would take that trade off.

Having more episodes to each season would is enough for me.

This ^^^

?/10

Another "Indiana Jones" film has long been rumoured, occasionally with whispers of different actors taking over the role from the 73-year-old Ford. But Spielberg has repeatedly insisted Ford would never be replaced.

"Indiana Jones is one of the greatest heroes in cinematic history, and we can't wait to bring him back to the screen in 2019," said Alan Horn, chairman of the Walt Disney Studios.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/indiana+jones+return+with+ford+spielberg/11786453/story.html#ixzz432SlJ5mS

11 hours ago, Green Building said:

?/10

Another "Indiana Jones" film has long been rumoured, occasionally with whispers of different actors taking over the role from the 73-year-old Ford. But Spielberg has repeatedly insisted Ford would never be replaced.

"Indiana Jones is one of the greatest heroes in cinematic history, and we can't wait to bring him back to the screen in 2019," said Alan Horn, chairman of the Walt Disney Studios.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/indiana+jones+return+with+ford+spielberg/11786453/story.html#ixzz432SlJ5mS

I hope it's more 'Raiders' or 'Crusade', even 'Temple' and less 'Crystal Skull'.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I hope it's more 'Raiders' or 'Crusade', even 'Temple' and less 'Crystal Skull'.

Indiana Jones & The Denny's Senior Discount! #FakeIndy5Titles pic.twitter.com/mDowPwMX57

Indiana Jones and the Need for Fiber #FakeIndy5Titles

Indiana Jones and the inappropriately younger love interest. #FakeIndy5Titles

Grampa Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Defibrillator #FakeIndy5Titles pic.twitter.com/BWud2e43hk

31 minutes ago, J.R. said:

8 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Indiana Jones & The Denny's Senior Discount! #FakeIndy5Titles pic.twitter.com/mDowPwMX57

Indiana Jones and the Need for Fiber #FakeIndy5Titles

Indiana Jones and the inappropriately younger love interest. #FakeIndy5Titles

Grampa Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Defibrillator #FakeIndy5Titles pic.twitter.com/BWud2e43hk

If you do the math, which only someone as nerdy as me would do, Harrison Ford is going to be 77 when the next Indiana Jones is released; which is exactly the same age Sean Connery would have been in the previous Indiana Jones film, had his character not passed away due to old age.