The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Spring Breakers - 1.5/10

I wasn't the one to choose to watch it, but I have no idea why I didn't just get up and walk away before it ended.

I don't think I've ever given a movie on CDC any rating like this, but it deserves it.

Wannabe arthouse garbage. Was hoping that I could derive some sort of entertainment from how bad it was, but it's not even B-Level cheese that could be fun. It was just a movie that desperately wanted to be the next coming of something like Requiem for a Dream, but it kind of forgot that you can't just overload on surrealism in lieu of basic character development, character motivation, and a storyline worth chasing in any sense.

It was a miserable movie, about miserable people, who did miserable things for pointless reasons, and I was just hoping that they all died before it was over.

Spring Breakers - 1.5/10

I wasn't the one to choose to watch it, but I have no idea why I didn't just get up and walk away before it ended.

I don't think I've ever given a movie on CDC any rating like this, but it deserves it.

Wannabe arthouse garbage. Was hoping that I could derive some sort of entertainment from how bad it was, but it's not even B-Level cheese that could be fun. It was just a movie that desperately wanted to be the next coming of something like Requiem for a Dream, but it kind of forgot that you can't just overload on surrealism in lieu of basic character development, character motivation, and a storyline worth chasing in any sense.

It was a miserable movie, about miserable people, who did miserable things for pointless reasons, and I was just hoping that they all died before it was over.

I really liked it. It made my top-5 from last year.

And I disagree that a film which doesn't have good character development or a great storyline isn't worth watching. If a movie is trying to, but fails to meet those criteria, it's not a good movie. But if it's going for something different it can succeed on its own terms. Spring Breakers was a critique of the hedonistic spring breaker mindset, and by being gorgeous and vapid it was adopting those attributes to better skewer its target.

It's definitely not for everyone, but I think if you were to ever watch it again knowing what you were getting into you'd come away feeling differently about it.

I really liked it. It made my top-5 from last year.

And I disagree that a film which doesn't have good character development or a great storyline isn't worth watching. If a movie is trying to, but fails to meet those criteria, it's not a good movie. But if it's going for something different it can succeed on its own terms. Spring Breakers was a critique of the hedonistic spring breaker mindset, and by being gorgeous and vapid it was adopting those attributes to better skewer its target.

It's definitely not for everyone, but I think if you were to ever watch it again knowing what you were getting into you'd come away feeling differently about it.

I got what it was trying to say, and it wouldn't change my opinion with a second viewing. I get what you got out of it as there's meaning to be found, but that vapidness is such a turn off for me. The 2 odd hours it spent engaging in that excess you were talking about wasn't so much insightful for me as it was frustrating.

It was probably better as a film, than as how it stood as a viewing experience, but I don't appreciate it in either respects.

• Upvote 1

Spring Breakers - 1.5/10

So... in other words it succeeded in its goal? Edited by VICanucksfan5551

So... in other words it succeeded in its goal?

I probably worded that poorly, because I don't believe Requiem for a Dream particularly succeeded in those aspects. I wouldn't equate the two completely, but the ideas behind the movies were fairly similar though.

Either way I lol'd. I'm not a fan of Darren Aronofsky in general. Enjoy some of his work, outright hate others.

I probably worded that poorly, because I don't believe Requiem for a Dream particularly succeeded in those aspects. I wouldn't equate the two completely, but the ideas behind the movies were fairly similar though.

Either way I lol'd. I'm not a fan of Darren Aronofsky in general. Enjoy some of his work, outright hate others.

I haven't seen Spring Breakers, but your description made it sound exactly like Requiem, which I absolutely loathed. I've also seen Black Swan (hated) and The Wrestler (indifferent), with no desire to see anything more by him.

dead poets society - 8/10

good will hunting 7.5/10

didn't think DPS would hold up at all (loved it as a kid), and expected GWH to be great still.

dead poets society is sorta funny to see all these fabulously wealthy white kids with their problems, but its still a cute movie. but daaa-aaad, i don't wanna be a doctor!

good will hunting just sorta lacked any real emotional punch, i guess. maybe because i knew the story or because now that sort of formula has been done so many times. idk

Edited by GLASSJAW

Lone Survivor - 6/10

American 'true story' propaganda film about navy seals in Afghanistan. (They don't really address why they're in Afghanistan other than badguys are there. Badguys who wouldn't be bad if the americans weren't there? We're not sure.)

The action was alright and it offered some scenes that weren't war hero movie cliche, but a lot of it was.

Walberg was fine. The other guys were somewhat interchangeable, as well as the enemy actors. As usual, the enemy had no real regard for their own lives and would charge the americans' rifles stupidly.

I gave it a 6 instead of a 4 because of some of 'see how tough these guys are' scenes.

Edited by BanTSN

I haven't seen Spring Breakers, but your description made it sound exactly like Requiem, which I absolutely loathed. I've also seen Black Swan (hated) and The Wrestler (indifferent), with no desire to see anything more by him.

Just wanna clear this up:

Darren Aronofsky rocks, and Spring Breakers blows goats.

That is all.

D-Day: Normandy 1944 9/10

Its a documentary commemorating the upcoming anniversary of D-Day. I saw it in the Imax at the Royal British Columbia museum.It was narrated by Tom Brokaw and fantastically well produced, despite running ~40 mins. I know there are countless others on the subject, but I still really enjoyed this one.

Edited by Bitter Melon

Bad Words- 7.5/10

Bateman's directorial début. Liked the set, everything seemed a musty brown/tan colour, which set the tone for the type of mood you could tell Bateman's character was in. I liked the first 45-60 minutes of the movie, but it ended too quickly. Was like the opposite of a Judd Apatow movie. Still a funny movie and some of the interactions between Bateman and the spelling B kids had me laughing pretty hard.

47 RONIN

100 / 10

This academy award winner, gives us some of the greatest acting performances you will ever see .. Moving , fast paced and brave are words I would use to describe it .. a cross between citizen kane and seven samurai ..

Mr reeves is a marvel .... and this is a triumph of modern cinema ..

47 RONIN

100 / 10

This academy award winner, gives us some of the greatest acting performances you will ever see .. Moving , fast paced and brave are words I would use to describe it .. a cross between citizen kane and seven samurai ..

Mr reeves is a marvel .... and this is a triumph of modern cinema ..

You ARE being sarcastic, right??

I know that you, on the other hand, are not being sarcastic.... I like to know what you consider as good movies.

Badguys who wouldn't be bad if the americans weren't there? We're not sure.

I don't want to turn this into a political/war debate, but I'll just say that these guys tried to assassinate a young girl for having the audacity to want to go to school and speaking out against those who would have it otherwise, so I'm going to says yes, they'd be "bad" with or without Americans.

I have never watched a movie as bad as Requiem from any other director, and Black Swan was pretty painful too. I vehemently disagree.

I know that you, on the other hand, are not being sarcastic.... I like to know what you consider as good movies.

I liked all three... :unsure:

In no particular order and likely forgetting a lot of favourites:

The Dark Knight, Memento, 12 Years a Slave, The Machinist, Taxi Driver, Alien, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Fight Club, Silence of the Lambs