The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple Warning Signs Surrounding Zack Kassian

King of the ES

Imma big fan but I gotta say; aside from him drawing the penalty his game was weak.

not sure where you get that from. I thought he was skating well, making smart plays with the puck, good work in the corners. I thought kass actually had a pretty strong game

For evrey one good thing you see him doing there's 20/30 things he's done wrong. His puck support is lacking, his positional play sucks and he's non existent on the back check. This is something a lot of peole don't pick up on because the only notice him when he's "involved in a play".

Coaches dropping him down lines and benching him is not new to the nucks, he had the same trouble in Buffalo and the minors.

He's still "young" and hopefully can learn, the coaches are doing the right thing by not giving him a free pass to the top six, he hasn't earned it.

For evrey one good thing you see him doing there's 20/30 things he's done wrong. His puck support is lacking, his positional play sucks and he's non existent on the back check. This is something a lot of peole don't pick up on because the only notice him when he's "involved in a play".

Coaches dropping him down lines and benching him is not new to the nucks, he had the same trouble in Buffalo and the minors.

He's still "young" and hopefully can learn, the coaches are doing the right thing by not giving him a free pass to the top six, he hasn't earned it.

I would say it's the flip of that......for every one thing hes doing wrong he's doing many things right. You just have to look a little deeper. He's a very very smart player on the ice and he has great instincts

Wow I don't know what games you have been watching but in the last two games his positional play has been quite good He has back checked (and got a penalty for it when Edler should have gotten the penalty)

He definatly sees the play developing and is an excellent passer. He has scored a goal. He has created problems in front of net. The only thing I have a problem with him is his hussle . For a young guy he burns out pretty fast during his shift

Imma big fan but I gotta say; aside from him drawing the penalty his game was weak.

I'm not a big fan of his really but I gotta say I disagree with you completely. His game in the first 2 has been good. He's had great moments but overall he's been good. Good positioning and he's been good with his puck possession.

I'm not a big fan of his really but I gotta say I disagree with you completely. His game in the first 2 has been good. He's had great moments but overall he's been good. Good positioning and he's been good with his puck possession.

I was ok with game one but I thought last night he could have been more intense...he should be taking advantage of these games to really impress the staff and solidify his spot...hes the type of player that should be making statements early in games especially against teams like Edmonton.

I dont think he is aware of the ability he has to take a game over supplementing the sedin style while playing on a different line. Im sayong his play was weak last night relative to his potential. I see the top line so far as a focused line and a catalyst to the teams energy. And imo kassian could easily form the second punch if he fed off that energy. He has a unique skil set that he could sharpen against weaker teams to be the player we need against stronger ones.

Kassian has loads of potential and we will see how good the coach is. If Kassian is not coached right, or given some decent line mates for a period of time to form some chemistry, he will be wasted, and maybe an assistant coach needs to figure this out. We see flashes of what he can do but it seems he is over coached or something. Maybe he is a type of player that can't maximize his potential being stifled by coaches. Who knows ?

Kassian has loads of potential and we will see how good the coach is. If Kassian is not coached right, or given some decent line mates for a period of time to form some chemistry, he will be wasted, and maybe an assistant coach needs to figure this out. We see flashes of what he can do but it seems he is over coached or something. Maybe he is a type of player that can't maximize his potential being stifled by coaches. Who knows ?

You can't reward a player with decent line mates that hasn't learned that he needs to play the entire shift and game hard. Needs to learn that part of the game in the bottom six before he gets a chance. What are you saying to him or the team if you do what your suggesting? If he can't put out a 100% effort on the third or forth line then he shouldn't be on the first or second. He's an intresting challenge for a coach and I don't think it's any indication of the coaches ability as a coach overall if he can't get kass going just his ability to coach zack. I was concerned with stash coaching zack in the offseason and talked about it then, but he is a great coach.

If Kassian get's punished with demotions after a bad shift he needs to be rewarded with promotions after a good shift. I was dissapointed he didn't get powerplay time on the one he created

No he needs to show he can give 100% for weeks before he moves up the lineup, after all everyone knows he can play well it's consistency and effort he needs to lean and why reward inconsistency when were trying to teach him consistency????

Edit; with you on the PP time, would love to see him get done second line PP time.

A lot of people had very high expectations for Kass during the offseason. His game hasn't been bad so far, but he certainly hasn't played like many of the fans has anticipated.

He is a player that has a lot of skills to 'put together'. He seems to start slow and requires a lot of games to work things out. I think he will be the 3RW before too long. Just needs some time.

I'm sure every Canuck fan is rooting for Kassian to have a breakout year, his potential is obvious. But so is his lack of maturity, maybe captain Henrik should buy Kass a dinner and have a good one on one chat with the kid. Here's hoping a light bulb goes off sooner than later.

I have to say i have high expetations of him for this year after realy happy with the growing he did late last year but maybr im not to being real and fare for him. I thought he played bad the first to games this year but i see some people here dis agree and that he has bin ok so maybe im to hard on him. I realy like kass and think he to can be a impact guy for us hopeing sooner then later

I really hope Kassian can push for a spot on the second line. Burrows - Bonino - Higgins is solid but not threatening.

Burrows is better offensively and defensively. And is better on his right side. Higgins is better offensively and defensively and I doubt Kass plays LW cause like I said Burr is better on the right side. Unless Kassian has an epiphany and becomes Bert over night he's a 3rd liner at best.

Burrows is better offensively and defensively. And is better on his right side. Higgins is better offensively and defensively and I doubt Kass plays LW cause like I said Burr is better on the right side. Unless Kassian has an epiphany and becomes Bert over night he's a 3rd liner at best.

Burrows is better on his natural left side. Although he's the type of player that is doesn't really matter..

I don't really know what people were expecting out of him. It's been 2 games this season and he's got a goal. After last season I expect and improvement with him finishing in the 20 goals 40 point range and I'll consider that a success for the 2014-15 season.

I think people put unreal expectations of him and scrutinize over everything he does. Daniel sedin clearly cost Canucks a goal last game when he got caught trying to dangle on the blue line and gave up a short handed breakway. If that was Kassian he would have got lit up on this board. It's like if he doesn't go out and dominate every shift people think he's a bust. Sadly this will be the same case for Horvat and Shinkaruk. Very few players got from 29 or less points to a constant 80 point player in one season.

I actually prefer him not playing on a line with Richie, he works hard and is great defensively but his offensive skills are very limited. He's the type of player that could be on a 3 on 1 and will simply put his head down and shoot the puck. Matthias has better vision, and Hansen, although has has a bad start has the speed to open up space.

As soon as Kassian was "demoted" that line started receiving more ice time. Kassian switched with Dorsett after the Yak goal which was only 2 min into the second, yet Kassian still received more ice time that Dorsett

Ideally I'd like a line of Vey - Matthias/Horvat - Kassian

I really hope Kassian can push for a spot on the second line. Burrows - Bonino - Higgins is solid but not threatening.

Do you really honestly think that kass on the second line would make the line threatening? You may hope but.... Why not hope the Richardson on the second line would make it threatening?

Archived