The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 7.0

I will be happy if it's a minor package with Travis Hamonic and 1st round pick and Frans Neilson coming back. (very solid 3rd line centerman) If that's it I'll be happy. Even if the package surrounds Calvin deHann I'll be happy. Anyone thinking Neno Neorrieter is wishful thinking. Stop dreaming boys.

So you're basically saying Niederreiter is worth more than Hamonic, Nielson, and a 1st round pick?

Yea, no. Niedereitter has way less value to them than Hamonic. He's one of their top defenders.

It's already been reported that Nino wants out of NYI. His value is quite a bit less to them now I would think.

Really? I personally think Nino has much more value, based on his potential to be an all star in the leauge or the very least, a top line winger, as for Hamonic is a very good stay at home guy. That's how I gauged this one. That first round pick for the Isles (16th) pick unlikely it will be a top line player as good as Nino, and Frans Nielson is just Frans Nielson.

If I was one of the other 29 GM's I would starve Gillis out til he has to buyout Lu.

When you blatantly let everyone know that you HAVE to trade somebody to meet cap, no one is going to do you a favour... he should've be coy about who he was going to trade Schneider or Lu to begin with.

<p>

Hamonic is already a key piece to the Islanders D core. And the 1st round pick could end up turning into a player like Domi, Zykov, or Lazar, who are all highly touted young prospects.

Niederrieter is still just hype at this point. He's put up decent numbers in the AHL, but the fact that he's already requested a trade at age 20 might scare the Islanders quite a bit. I don't think they're as high on him as some people may think, as was shown by him not even getting an invite to training camp.

Bob's speculation was pretty lazy stuff imo.

Not much there.

Didn't really get into the heart of the issue - what a $24 million buyout is actually worth in terms of asset/player value, which imo is at least a couple of young A prospects. What owner is going to spend $24 million without getting back a couple premier assets.

What he didn't touch upon is that Luongo is an entirely serviceable top 20 goaltender in the NHL, while Dipietro is a buried contract.

We've been on the Islanders matter for some time in these threads - whether Dipietro is part of the deal or not, the Isles still have the future of their goaltending to address.

If Dipietro is not included in a deal, I think the Isles could probably land Luongo by offering an A prospect like Nelson or Neiderreiter.

If they expect to unload Dipietro on Aquillini, the price gets a hell of a lot higher imo.

Luo, Ballard

Hamonic, Nelson/Neiderreiter, Cizikas, Pokka, Dipietro.

The option not discussed much is the Isles retaining up to 50% of Dipietro's contract in a deal making him have a cap hit of $2.25 mil for both teams.

He could be a serviceable back-up to Schneider at that price and might be an insurance policy against Lack's rehab.

This way no team uses a buy-out outright and the cost of the prospect(s) moving back becomes much easier to agree on.

Whether the Isles would do that is unknown but the only other option may be to have to eat his whole contract if they can find no other takers.

The option not discussed much is the Isles retaining up to 50% of Dipietro's contract in a deal making him have a cap hit of $2.25 mil for both teams.

He could be a serviceable back-up to Schneider at that price and might be an insurance policy against Lack's rehab.

This way no team uses a buy-out outright and the cost of the prospect(s) moving back becomes much easier to agree on.

Whether the Isles would do that is unknown but the only other option may be to have to eat his whole contract if they can find no other takers.

I wonder if there's also an option to transfer money as part of a deal.

If Dipietro were dealt and half his cap hit retained, both teams would be on the hook for 8 years of 2.25 million caphit for a total of 36 million - a caphit they both may wish they had in the future.

Perhaps a deal could include Luongo, Dipietro, a couple young Islanders, and something like 12 million cash included with Dipietro - the Canucks use one of their buyouts on him but effectively split the bill with the Isles, and the asset cost for the Islanders is not quite as high. As a fan, of course I'd prefer the straight Dipietro for players compensation. The one thing that might make this attractive to Aquilini is that the payments are spread out over 16 years at 1.5 per year - that might not be a bad investment if they got a couple important young assets in return.

Easiest way to even out the dollars is include Booth/Ballard, for another piece, or two. NYI could also accept 3 or 4 mill of Ricky's hit, in 2013-14. So they take on 11-12 mill, + Lu's salary commitment, Gillis gets a stylish cap which actually fits his noggin.

NYI might amnesty Booth, but would probably find good use in Ballard.

Hamonic is already a key piece to the Islanders D core. And the 1st round pick could end up turning into a player like Domi, Zykov, or Lazar, who are all highly touted young prospects.

Niederrieter is still just hype at this point. He's put up decent numbers in the AHL, but the fact that he's already requested a trade at age 20 might scare the Islanders quite a bit. I don't think they're as high on him as some people may think, as was shown by him not even getting an invite to training camp.

If everyone hadn't told me that since 2012 playoffs id say ok. But here we are now... its evident mg is a moron and lui is the better choice for this team

Cory and a 2nd pick + scrivens is far faaaaaaar worse

Than lui and a first line player

Even if they wuda both brought back the same player id keep lui. He's a generational talent.

Archived