The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

He gets the most out of his roster but we'd be in fire some very boring defensive hockey - more so than av

That's probably what they said about the LA Kings. They are a pretty entertaining team to watch. That St-Louis/LA series was a low scoring one, but probably the best of the 1st round, let alone the whole playoff.

When you play a defensive style with a team like Phoenix, they don't have the counter attack to use those turnovers and opportunity.

Play good defensively with a team with offensive skills, they will make you pay for your mistakes.

Plus with our lack of offensive in the last 3 playoffs series, might as well play defensive and try to win 2-1 games, instead of losing 3-2

That's probably what they said about the LA Kings. They are a pretty entertaining team to watch. That St-Louis/LA series was a low scoring one, but probably the best of the 1st round, let alone the whole playoff.

When you play a defensive style with a team like Phoenix, they don't have the counter attack to use those turnovers and opportunity.

Play good defensively with a team with offensive skills, they will make you pay for your mistakes.

Plus with our lack of offensive in the last 3 playoffs series, might as well play defensive and try to win 2-1 games, instead of losing 3-2

Point taken but it's debate able that we've been good defensively this year and LAs defense trumps ours the last two years. And St. Louis d at least this years playoff core is far better and certainly tougher.

I just don't see this happening. MG stated once again yesterday that he preferred an up-tempo style of play for the team and I don't know if Tippett has that in him. Maybe that's been a product of the teams he's had and he could adjust as AV did for a couple of seasons.

Then again, maybe there's a bit of foreshadowing going on here and our core will be blown up this summer or after next season at the latest, and MG might feel that Tippett could best guide what would be a younger, less talented team for a couple of transition seasons.

I'm fine with it either way. As long as the team goes out and busts their asses every night and plays like they care.

i mentioned in the other thread that i'd like to see portland winterhawks coach/gm, and former canucks assistant under marc crawford, mike johnston, get some consideration for the role. he has familiarity with a lot of the core, he's the offensive mind behind the wce years, he's great with young players, and he's been honing his skills as a head coach, not to mention gm, for a few years now with a fair amount of success.

supply him with a defensive guru that commands respect as an associate coach and i think you're on your way to an exciting and successful brand of hockey.

Despite what the critics say about him being an defensive-minded only coach, I would love to see what he can here. A guy like Tippet has more tricks up his sleeve I'm sure, and knows the Western Conference well.

I don't care if the Canucks keep a shutdown style game as long as they can compete in the playoffs.

My first option would be Tippet but if that doesn't work then Ruff....need a coach who's words are heard and taken seriously and both these guys do it.

Tippet is easily one of the best coaches in the league. He's taken mediocre teams very far and gotten the most out of his players when his team hasn't been the best. Heck, the guy took the Phoenix Coyotes to the conference finals! That says everything about him....if he can motivate an average team to go that far, what would he be able to do with a star team like ours? Sky's the limit; hope he's the coach :)

Archived