The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lu tweet thread

Rate this topic

I see, and his 'employer' just reached into his rectum and found the millions to pay his salary? .. or did it come from fans and corporate sponsors and folks who buy the merchandize? .. If I go into McDonalds (heaven forbid) and one of their emplyees sticks his 'peter' in my Pepsi, I am not going to just stand there .. apparently you would?

The beautiful thing about a so called "Free Society" is we get to voice our opinions, and everyone has that right, whether he is a professional athlete or a dishwasher.

(P.S. Eating french fries with Egg McMuffins may play a large part in you being shaped like a papaya .. just a thought)

if you stopped giving the canucks money in the few ways you currently do, do the players get paid less as a result?

no?

then you don't pay their salary.

Edited by avelanch

if you stopped giving the canucks money in the few ways you currently do, do the players get paid less as a result?

no?

then you don't pay their salary.

If enough folks stop 'giving' money, then the team will become insolvent .. this is the "Entertainment Business" we are talking about .. remember the 'beloved' Grizzlies? .. grammar is your friend .. reality is nasty .. denial is passe.

Shouldn't this thread be in the general forum? Last I heard is that the said player is on the Panther's roster.

This thread was started last year. Maybe you can volunteer, take a few days off work, and move all the threads in this forum that include players no longer with the canucks. Would be a fulltime job for months.
  • Upvote 1

This town and Canuck management treated Lui like trash. How he remained as professional as he did is beyond me. Now that he fired a couple remarks, some of the babies here start crying. I would have been a lot more harsh. These last couple years up to the Heritage Classic have been a disgrace. I don't know why anyone would willingly come to this poorly run franchise

Vancouver is a City not a town first off and the Sedins were treated much worse than Luongo when they were drafted by the Canucks. Growing up playing hockey I heard nothing but how the Sedin sisters were wasted draft picks and would never be top line players blah blah blah. Then the Sedins had their break out year and all those critics shut up very quickly and you know what those people are slowly coming back after they are having an off year. Luongo had great games against Boston and poor games and since that Stanley cup defeat he has been just mediocre which has let all these negative critics to come out and bash him and not just that but he did or said things that you just can't say in a Canadian city.

Lu needed to let his goaltending do the talking instead of complaining or tweeting things which really were not necessary. I really like Lu but honestly he made it so obvious that he didn't want to be here that I found it really hard to not want him to be traded. Why have a player on your team that doesn't want to be here?

The Vancouver media is terrible too I mean they write things so negatively I wish they would all get fired. The majority of these critics of the Canucks don't even watch the games they just listen to the radio or read some stupid article in the paper that all it does is bash the team because that's what garners attention.

The beautiful thing about a so called "Free Society" is we get to voice our opinions, and everyone has that right, whether he is a professional athlete or a dishwasher.

I love it when people talk about free speech rights this way... buddy I don't think you ever had to worry about getting arrested by the government for what you say.

The only thing distracting this team is the God awful situation they're in. The rest is just background noise in my view. Lu isn't the problem, losing and lack of scoring is.

Call me old-fashioned, but I'd prefer a time when players simply play. Let mgt/coaches handle the media, & let the media report for the fans, sans the innuendo, blatant-bashing & crooked agendas, which seem both ubiquitous & pervasive today.

I respect & appreciate the time & passion you put into these boards, Deb. Being out of country, this CDC site enables me to truly keep abreast of what the team is doing, and/or going through.

I try to see the humourous side, but am becoming increasingly angered with what appears a tilted-agenda towards our club. This is entering territory where I've long believed league-PTB only want to see major US markets dominate, whilst taxing passionate Cdn fans damn-near half league-revenues. Watching people like Dreger/Spector blathering on, reveals the complicity of media-agendas.

So now we've entered a realm where departed players can take potshots at mgt(despite being well-paid, & moved to their choice destination?)? Don't think you'd see players with such temerity, if they'd been dealt from Pitt, Philly or Boston( league golden-insiders).

Lastly, things like FB & Twittle-thumbs will never make sense to me. I actually expend occasional energy/concentration trying to remember days when they didn't exist. Too much of a good thing(all this instantaneous conversation)? We've all got our opinions. But after a player moves on, I think the way Schneids handles himself is the preferred style.

I can't understand why people have so much hate for the guy. His Tweets last night were great.

Look, I am a Canucks fan through and through, but last night deserved the reaction it got from him and his former team mates. That was a gong show of a game. Lack was left out to dry and it will haunt us if it destroys his confidence.

Every person blows off steam, just because you feel he wronged you while he was here does not change the fact he was wronged as well.

We speculate what is said behind closed doors and the truth is we may never know. Fact is he signed a life time contract only to be replaced by someone else. I would be pissed and embarrassed right or wrong.

If he chooses to let out steam about his former team, it shows that he still cares about them.

Everyone has to see we will get much of the same type of outcome as last nights game for the next few years during the retool.

The players on the team have now realized it, cue Beiksa comments after the game.

So your spin is the exact opposite of mine.

Pride and dignity come into play with all human beings. People seem to feel that because he made a lot of money he was to be bullet proof. Devoid of human feelings and emotion. Just go out there, like a robot, and be perfect. Even if you team's not scoring and the defense in front of you is buckling...you're the one. It's ALL pinned on you because we can single you out.

The people that enjoy his tweets are no lesser than you...just different. People deal with disappointment, heartache, shock and other things in different ways as a result...it's what makes it a wonderful world. Some withdraw and retreat. Some mask it with humour and sarcasm.

How is his tweeting any different than us putting our spiels out here, in written form? So he's expected not to use the same avenues afforded to every single one of us?

He learned, early on, that he'd have to detract from the team...when he had the C AND was goaltender, he had to answer for the team. So, as it would be, he was honest and forthright, sometimes wearing his heart on his sleeve. What you see is what you get. And some accused him of being difficult, moody, etc. He then turned to using sarcasm and humour to portray his feelings, at least on the surface. To lighten the mood.

And I, for one, find it refreshing and (yes, as primitive as I am) entertaining. We're different, that's all.

I don't see this as mocking Lack, more a show of support/strength in numbers, even though he doesn't have to do that anymore. "I'm still here, brother". That sort of thing.

(and I suspect we will move this to an appropriate spot...in due time)

I re-read your reply, & wanted to add on a bit more here.

I'm sensitive to the word 'spin', in this context. It's my honest analysis/opinion here that the franchise should supersede his ego, and/or pride(however we identify this state). This team means so much(mostly to people throughout BC, going on five decades), that I think RL should put away Twittleville for a wk or two.

Coupled with the blatant media-trashing out east, it's easy to see another dog-pile coming for our franchise. His 'tweeting' can easily exacerbate matters. Also reading yesterday that Kes was referencing Lu's criticism, & equating with his own situation. The team doesn't need all this. It's getting out of hand. For so MANY fans, the jersey(what it represents) must come before any player's individual priorities.

Other thing when you say,"fans enjoying his tweets aren't lesser", I'd heartily agree. Had my FAIR share of life-failures, embarrassments & disappointments to chew on, & digest this thoroughly. Personally, I've battled depession & ADHD, & lost almost everyone that were near & dear in my past life, back home. The life-stages I'd alluded to are something I believe we're all condemned to-whether we like it or not! Been through too many experiences to bother posturing for the 'moral high-ground' over such matters. Won't discuss this personal stuff more-but the high & mighty implications couldn't be further from the truth.

So I'll hope Lu focuses on his game, & we fans can get back to cheering on the teams/heroes of our choice. The media do their jobs with HONESTY; and most importantly, the league ensures a level playing field.

GCG.

If you take his tweets personally than you fell into a celebrity infatuation over someone you never met and then changed your mind when your Canucks goggles let you see him as a normal human after he left.

lol @ people getting butthurt about Luongo's tweets. Unless you've been living under a rock for the past 2 years then you should know this is how he has always been on twitter, all of a sudden his tweets are inappropriate cause he doesn't play for us anymore? ok

• Upvote 3

Should his EX-teammates send him a few light-hearted, funny tweets?

I bet RL would play steadier if he tossed his twit-ville connection straight into the Atlantic. Work on technique, save humour for comedians. I'd insist on this, if I were his coach.

Cherry was right on this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Luongo to take a ‘break’ from Twitter - @strombone1 being put aside to “focus on playing hockey”:

Florida goalie Roberto Luongo (a.k.a. @strombone1) is going “to take a little bit of a break” from Twitter after a couple of his tweets during a particularly tough Canucks loss were taken “the wrong way” by some people, including at least one high-collared TV commentator.

In an interview with the Vancouver Sun, Luongo said the three things he tweeted during his old team’s 6-1 loss in Dallas on March 6…

#PrayForEddie—

Strombone (@strombone1) March 07, 2014

If I was still the back up I coulda came in and mopped this game up nicely…..—

I'd put Thing 4 in for the 3rd period—

…weren’t meant to be malicious.

“It was mostly making fun of myself and I felt bad for [Canucks goalie Eddie Lack] that game,” he said. “It was nothing about him or his play, I mostly felt bad for him the way the guys were playing in front of him.”

Still, he’s just going to “focus on playing hockey” for now.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/21/luongo-to-take-a-break-from-twitter/

Edited by -Vintage Canuck-

Whether or not you found the tweets funny (I sort of did), Luongo should have known better than to comment on the play of a team that he was no longer a part of.

there is always a little bit of truth behind those jokes ... he should be concentrating on his retirement in florida ... sorry ....i meant his his career